My amp list - looking to trade for equivalent modded MTS

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whytejacks

Reaction score
Ive not posted before and am looking to upgrade or swop some of my modules....I have various standard Randall modules and am looking to re-create some of the tones i have in my other amps......I have built a collection of what I consider to be classic amps and am interested in the Modded MTS equivalents........below I will list my amps and would really appreciate some help in deciding on the very best recreations by the module modders out there....this is mainly for studio use..... I have the RM20 combo plus an RM100 combo...I mainly play classic rock/blues and a lot of slide (littlefeat/allman bros).......(im in the UK BTW)

1. marshall - 1973 JMP 50 lead & bass - has the 1986 & 1987x circuit, i believe the model number is 1964
2. Marshall super P.A. (100 watt version of above with 1959 SLP circuit and superbass circuit)....belonged to jeff lynne btw :)
3. Marshall JCM 800
4. Marshall JCM 900
5. Marshall 2555SL (slash/jubilee)
6. 1962 Vox ac30 coppertop (no serial, famous owner)
7. Vox ac15 CC
8. 1973 hiwatt custom 100 DR103
9. 1974 hiwatt custom 100 PA
10. 1974 orange OR120
11. Doubletone Dumble ODS clone
12. Ceriatone trainwreck express clone
13. Soldano astroverb 16 (1x12 combo)
14. Mesa boogie Nomad 100
15. Musicman RP65 (1x12 combo)
16. 1963 fender tremolux head (blonde)
17. Pignose 7-100 (my favourite amp)
18. cornford Hellcat (owned by the lead guitarist in my band)
19. Pre CBS blackface super reverb (owned by the lead guitarist in my band)

If anyone reads this please feel free to offer advice or even to offer to sell me a modded module or let me know if you're interested in a list of my standard randall modules that are for sale :)

I'll list my thoughts on the ones i have personal experience with both amp and module:
3: Jaded Faith 59RR or Salvation Mashall+ (covers most Marshall Tones, liked the 59RR a little better).
5+6: Jaded Faith Voxless
7: Salvation H-Watt hands down, had a '74 Custom 100, this comes closest.
8: Salvation Mandarin OD or Graphic.
9: Jaded Faith ODS (hermida zendrive also does an excellent job)
10: Jaded Faith Wrecked
12: this a tough tone, but Rob at Jaded Faith could probably cook up something based of his Mark X, as the Nomad sounded somewhere between a Mark IV and a Recto.
15: Jaded Faith Texas Special seems to get that vibe.

15) A JF Base mod comes close to that Super reverb sound. Also the VybeDeluxe would work. For me either of those work really nicely if I use a 4X10 cab.

Great....thats a real help....the salvation modules do seem a little snazzier than the JF but its tone i'm after....some nice recommendations there :)

I am sorry....I meant a JF Deluxe base mod will get real close to the super reverb. You can get a stock deluxe for $80 - $100 and the mod is another $100.

This is a list of my MTS modules. There are all unmodded. I would like to find out what they are worth and especially if there are any Rare ones that might be worth more (dont wanna sell anything that I will regret and wont be able to find again)....also I am wondering if any of my existing modules would particularly suit a specific JF or salvation mod :) HELP!!!

Silver original modules :
Plexi
Modern
Blackface
XTC
Ultra lead
SL+

Silver with black stripe (MKII)
Deluxe
JTM
ULTRA
ULTRA (I have two for some reason)
ULTRA XL
Top Boost
Clean
Clean (duplicate)
Recto
Brown
SL+

Signatures modules :
KH1
KH2
KH3 (got three of these)
KH3 (it says KH3A on the top of both modules???)
KH3
SUPER V

There we go folks....24 modules....all for sale in the UK :)

So you have a deluxe already? Like I said, send that puppy to JF and get the Base mod. You will have a killer mod for a great price and that will come really close to the Super reverb sound.

Thanks Ricky, I will definitely check out that base mod for the deluxe.

Ive noticed a huge decline in modules for sale on evilbay, maybe the unmodded modules will start going back up in value??? Maybe I should hold onto them??

Hey Dude - where abouts in the UK are you? I'm based in Glasgow (for the next couple of months anyway) and I've got a load of JF modded stuff - if your near by give me a shout and you can drop by and check some of it out ;-)

Thanks, I'm in south Wales so a bit far to drop in.
I'd be interested in any JF modules for sale though.....let me know what you've got and how much you want for them, or if you're interested in any swops....monies a bit tight this time of year but I'm hoping to sell some of my stock modules and maybe the RM50 combo :)

Definately got the bug now, ideally i'm looking to sell/upgrade/swop an end up with 12 modded modules that i will be able to put in an RM1250....

Interested in Which modder is creating the most authentic/versitile modules, I like to use clean/treble boost or overdrive pedals to get higher gain, (ethos, zendrive, tubescreamer) so a lot of the vintage amps I use tend be set on the verge of breaking up......I really want to get a few totally clean modules that take pedals well.

so I've been searching around the forum, getting to grips with the layout.....i've got all these stock modules that I want to sell to get modded ones but I don't know how to price/value them.
I'm in the UK where MTS seems less available so do I price a little higher than if I were in the US?....I don't think shipping charges would be worth while trying to sell them to a US market......stock modules seem to be priced around $130 on this forum but that's a little low for the UK market, used modules seem to be at least ?110 ($180) inn the UK on ebay which is also the same amount of discount you get with salvation for providing a donor module........so I guess thats the bottom line price???

I'm in no rush to sell my stock modules so I think I will put them up for sale on Ebay and other UK classified sites for ?120 ($196) for the standard modules and ?145 ($237) for the signature ones.....We'll see how they sell over the next 3-6 months???

Hi ! For the early Marshall thing, I have incredible results with an xtc module from salvation mods, set to low gain and hi mid..
I get very closed to an old jmp I got, that dark percussive sound, full of crispyness, that allows you to play everything, including acrobatic leads, with low gain = plenty of dynamics : that "blackmore, yngwie, early evh and lynch" sound I mean :)

@whytejacks

You could use your stock modules as donors for the mods you want rather than selling them, it will save you some nice $$$ and you won't have the hassle of posting them all out when sold.

You have a nice taste in amps, I like that list.

Lastly, once upon a time I too thought I could live with 12 modded modules...

Thanks,

Looks like Ive just free'd up some cash to buy some mods by selling my RM100 camo head with cab and flight cases with Intellifex installed into it!! ...

Theres a great story behind this one....some of you may know the amp, it originally came from Eric McKenna at boogie street guitars, bought by a guy in the UK 9 years ago who sold it onto to a guy on the other side of the country....thats who I then bought it off.....
by some weird twist of fate I was advertising an RM100 combo and the guy who had imported the camo to the UK got in touch with me via facebook and we got chatting.....when he told me that he deeply regretted selling a very special one off RM100 and showed me a picture I had to tell him I now owned that amp!! He has offered to buy the amp back after regretting selling it so much........how could I refuse!!

Moral of the story.....dont sell your MTS gear, you will regret it!!

So.....I got my first modded modules, they were on Evilbay and i couldn't resist......both JF - matchVox and trilogy.......all I can say is WOW!!

had a re-shuffle, sold my RM50 combo, bought an RM100 combo (which is now for sale btw)........still got my camo RM100 head and cab as a buyer let me down.........all my money went fixing my 1962 AC30 (that baby was a non serial number gift from VOX to Mickey Jones and used to record the first MAN albums...only two others were given out and they went to the beatles!!!)

Gonna start modding my stock modules, Salvation here I come :)

From the style you play I'd recommend the JF Vybe Deluxe for a solid reworking of the Deluxe and Vybrolux/Vybroverb preamp tones. It also has a pushed mode with a bit more breakup.

As for Salvation options, you might email Antonin via their site. And same goes for Rob at Jaded Faith (he's fast in replies).

Oh and if you like the Soldano Atomic, you should check out the mods from both guys. A lot of the guys here love the Salvation Salvo Deluxe and the Mash-oldanno a lot.
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=modifications

I really enjoy my JF SL-OD100 and I gather the SLO distortion voice is common in most Soldano amps (I was told this after hunting for an SP-88 schematic)
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html

All 3 mods have audio demos on their site.

If you're uncertain just start with one of your mods with each. I have mods from JF, Salvation, Sacred Groove (hopefully Scott will return to mods...), and a lone Friedman mod.

The thing I love with the mods I have from JF, Salvation, and Sacred Groove are the added voicings (and serious improvement in tone!) and the faceplates are cool too. The Friedman sounds killer but it's versatility mainly comes from the gain knob.

Also you don't need to get a mod that's just an improvement over the stock versions. Mods with gain (for the most part, XTC being a common one that's not as versatile for non-XTC mods) and most clean mods don't have the right basic layout for mods with high gain (the VOX mods can be modded to high gainers)

****, that's a long post - I sure hope it's helpful and not redundant knowledge for you.

I really started loving MTS once I got my first mods done. Also if you don't see an analog to any of your fave amps/preamps/recorded tones, Rob and Antonin can deliver custom mods to your requests at the same prices posted. Rob created the VybeDeluxe for me as I really wanted the Vybroverb preamp, and he kept the Deluxe voicing (improved a lot over the stock Deluxe which I found muddy and deeper in tone, and added a pushed setting that's killer for blues) - it was cool enough to go into production too.

Take your time with your modding, you have a great starting place with those stock mods.