59RR Questions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've owned the MK22, MK22II, 59RR CUSTOM, and Silverado... The only "Marshall" mod that has stood the test of time is the GrailTone. It possesses great low gain plexi tones along with the crushing early EVH Tone that it was designed for.

dcg8 said:
I've owned the MK22, MK22II, 59RR CUSTOM, and Silverado... The only "Marshall" mod that has stood the test of time is the GrailTone. It possesses great low gain plexi tones along with the crushing early EVH Tone that it was designed for.

You are talking the JF Grailtone, yes? I know there is the Randall Grail, but I thought I saw some other Grailtone something and sometimes find myself confused so I just checking.

dcg8 said:

Awesome! Do you have any clips, by chance?

Mike P said:
Attenuator???? Why in the world would you need an attenuator for a master volume amp?

And your "more authentic" quote is complete and utter nonsense.

meaning- when I had my old superlead, it sounded great cranked, but my god it was loud. When I used an attenuater with it, it sounded ok. With the Grailtone, I can get cranked plexi tones at reasonable volumes. Just my opinion.

The Rossness said:
Mike P said:
Attenuator???? Why in the world would you need an attenuator for a master volume amp?

And your "more authentic" quote is complete and utter nonsense.

meaning- when I had my old superlead, it sounded great cranked, but my god it was loud. When I used an attenuater with it, it sounded ok. With the Grailtone, I can get cranked plexi tones at reasonable volumes. Just my opinion.

Rob's work is stellar, so I'm sure the Grailtone is awesome.

Does anyone have any examples of the Grailtone mic'd up using a mic pre, quality converters, etc.?

Mike: I'm going to be working on additional marketing materials little by little over the next few months. I'll try to move this module towards the start of the project. I have a LOT of projects, both modular and non-MTS, getting rolling so I'm balancing my time all over the place.

Jaded Faith said:
Mike: I'm going to be working on additional marketing materials little by little over the next few months. I'll try to move this module towards the start of the project. I have a LOT of projects, both modular and non-MTS, getting rolling so I'm balancing my time all over the place.

Sounds good, Rob! I wish you weren't across the country, as I'd be more than happy to record it. :D

Yes I was referring to the Jaded Faith Grailtone..
Rob has a great clip of it on the Jaded Faith website.

I know the 59rr plat. Was not exactly made to be the EVH module, but I can get that tone running the jmp side gain stage on, about 1/2 on the gain knob and Density noon and presence up pretty high. Maybe not perfect but it sounds great set like that. Compared to my SL+ it is not as thick sounding but just enough.

Mike P said:
Just for the record, here are a couple of new tracks with the Bully and a couple of old tracks. If these don't sound like "ripping" 1959 Marshall's, I'd like someone to explain what they do sound like.

www.mikeplas.com/mlib/mr/inthezone.mp3

www.mikeplas.com/mlib/mr/roughandtumble.mp3

www.mikeplas.com/mlib/am/boogiechild.mp3

www.mikeplas.com/mlib/am/voltage.mp3

Sounds really great! Whats your setup for this...what amp and what power tubes?

nitrous12 said:
Mike P said:
Just for the record, here are a couple of new tracks with the Bully and a couple of old tracks. If these don't sound like "ripping" 1959 Marshall's, I'd like someone to explain what they do sound like.

www.mikeplas.com/mlib/mr/inthezone.mp3

www.mikeplas.com/mlib/mr/roughandtumble.mp3

www.mikeplas.com/mlib/am/boogiechild.mp3

www.mikeplas.com/mlib/am/voltage.mp3

Sounds really great! Whats your setup for this...what amp and what power tubes?

Thanks for the kind words. RM100, matched quartet of Ruby 6L6's, ARS 12ax7's in the amp and all of my modules.

The first three tracks are my Charvel clone (Warmoth alder body, Mighty Mite neck, Duncan JB & Jazz, German made Floyd Rose).

The last is a Les Paul, Burstbucker Pro, TonePros tune-a-matic and stop with Grover locking tuners and CTS pots.

Jaded Faith said:
Lot's of questions here!

The original 59RR featured the JMP/JCM switch, a simple Diode Clip circuit (adds about 5% more gain, but changes the shape/feel of the gain), the Vintage/Modern tone stack switch and the original Haze circuit. This is still made as a 5RR Standard upon request.

The 59RR Custom was made as a special request and replaced the Diode Clip with a 2/3-Stage switch that allowed an additional gain stage to be added. This was way cool and became a standard product, replacing the original 59RR.

All of this was thrown together into one with premium hand-selected components and offered as the limited 59RR Platinum.

The Grail Tone is unique in that it runs two uniquely-voiced stages in parallel to each other and blends them at the third stage. It allows for a huge range of gain colors to be dialed in.

The Silverado is completely it's own thing ad not like any of the rest. It uses a floating 2nd tier, a very unique pair of diode clipping circuits and a loads of ways to mix and match them. Very unique tone and feel.

I recently had two different SG MK22's in here for repairs and I can confirm this mod has a lot in common to the stock Judge under the hood. This reference might be useful for those who are curious and having a hard time locating one.

Hope this helps!

And what is the 59RR Mark II?

Jaded Faith said:
Lot's of questions here!

The original 59RR featured the JMP/JCM switch, a simple Diode Clip circuit (adds about 5% more gain, but changes the shape/feel of the gain), the Vintage/Modern tone stack switch and the original Haze circuit. This is still made as a 5RR Standard upon request.

The 59RR Custom was made as a special request and replaced the Diode Clip with a 2/3-Stage switch that allowed an additional gain stage to be added. This was way cool and became a standard product, replacing the original 59RR.

All of this was thrown together into one with premium hand-selected components and offered as the limited 59RR Platinum.

The Grail Tone is unique in that it runs two uniquely-voiced stages in parallel to each other and blends them at the third stage. It allows for a huge range of gain colors to be dialed in.

The Silverado is completely it's own thing ad not like any of the rest. It uses a floating 2nd tier, a very unique pair of diode clipping circuits and a loads of ways to mix and match them. Very unique tone and feel.

I recently had two different SG MK22's in here for repairs and I can confirm this mod has a lot in common to the stock Judge under the hood. This reference might be useful for those who are curious and having a hard time locating one.

Hope this helps!

And what is the 59RR Mark II?