Question about signature modules and mods

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfgobbi

Reaction score
I am new to this and it may have been done to death scattered all over the forum, but...

I am interested in knowing whether or not JF, Salvation, SG, and other modders have the stock signature circuits in their modded modules, and how accurate. For the regular Randall modules I kind of have a good idea but if anyone can add new info I would appreciate. Particularly it would be great if the settings (pull knobs, switches, etc) on the modded/custom modules could be provided, so that it "replicates" the signature circuits. As an example, I did for the stock Blackface what I would like to know for others (and correct me it it's wrong!!):

Blackface=JF Texas Special (cali on/cali on/deep off)=Salvo Twinface (twin on/push off/mojo on)=???.

What about

KH1=???
KH2=???
KH3=???
SuperV=???
Brahma=???
Mr Scary=???
Grail=???
1086=???

Also, for all stock other modules it would be interesting to know interesting facts.

What? I don't get it. You mean how the sig mods compare to modded modules? not even close....

JayDA said:
What? I don't get it. You mean how the sig mods compare to modded modules? not even close....

No that's not really what I mean. In the same way that some of the mods are more or less close reproductions of stock fender or marshall preamplifiers (as are the stock modules) , I was thinking if some of the mods have in their options of switching the preamps that are in the signature modules. For example can I dial in the brahma circuit/tones with the Salvation Vishnu mod? With that many switches and options of the vishnu I would think yes. What about the other sig modules?

I think what you're asking is can you have a modded module and use the options to dial it back the the stock settings? I would say probably not. The internal components are thoroughly upgraded if not replaced (examples below)so going "back" to stock tone would be difficult, but let me add: you would NEVER want to in my opinion. The modded JF, Salvo, SG mods are exponentially superior to the tones of the stock modules.

If you're looking for a specific tone from a different amp or artist that would be easier to answer. But if you want a modded preamp to sound like a stock preamp, I'd say stick with the stock preamp.

2014-05-07%2016.26.53_zpssytrvhxw.jpg

See the difference? It's literally night and day. The modded preamps are much, much fuller, louder, more dynamic, and Better!

20140507_162500_1_zpssoenwr5d.jpg

Jaymzrock said:
I think what you're asking is can you have a modded module and use the options to dial it back the the stock settings? I would say probably not. The internal components are thoroughly upgraded if not replaced (examples below)so going "back" to stock tone would be difficult, but let me add: you would NEVER want to in my opinion. The modded JF, Salvo, SG mods are exponentially superior to the tones of the stock modules.

If you're looking for a specific tone from a different amp or artist that would be easier to answer. But if you want a modded preamp to sound like a stock preamp, I'd say stick with the stock preamp.

2014-05-07%2016.26.53_zpssytrvhxw.jpg

See the difference? It's literally night and day. The modded preamps are much, much fuller, louder, more dynamic, and Better!

20140507_162500_1_zpssoenwr5d.jpg

I am not disputing the improvements of the modded modules in terms of tone or versatility. I myself have 10 mods and 5 on order. I think that's a few for 3 months in the MTS game. However, just look at the case of the Salvation description of the vishnu. It deliberately replicates a Brahma (a stock module) in parallel with a JCM800, plus a few options. My question is: how to dial the tone of the sig modules if possible.

I think if you like the originals enough, go for base mods that expand what you already dig. Vishnu is one of the few that actually added in a sig/stock circuit to compliment a mod...

It works amazingly well and I get what mfgobbi is saying...

Otherwise, the modded modules try to get away from stock features for obvious reasons...I think Salvation should consider a Recto with a Grail channel too....:)

Mattfig said:
I think if you like the originals enough, go for base mods that expand what you already dig. Vishnu is one of the few that actually added in a sig/stock circuit to compliment a mod...

It works amazingly well and I get what mfgobbi is saying...

Otherwise, the modded modules try to get away from stock features for obvious reasons...I think Salvation should consider a Recto with a Grail channel too....:)

Matfig got to the point I am trying to get at...

Talking about the Grail then, isn't it a rectifier circuit with slightly different eq/mids? Can't it be dialed with a mamba, snakebyte, erect, deadplate?

Of course I agree with you that no mod would sound like 2 parallel signals mixed in a single mod.

I would like to see a dirty fender or vox (loose and open sounding) mixed with a clean midrange fat marshall plexi post Jtm (super lead type).

Ahh, Ok. I think I misunderstood. The Chupacabra is one that expands on the 1086 and adds a lot more growl and intensity, but has the options to set the switches off to get the same territory of the Donegal sig, albeit a little louder and more polished.