KH3 modding

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buriedorburned

Reaction score
I'm loving my new KH3, i previously had the KH2 and thoight it was great especially pushed with a boost. I know the KH3 is very similar, but with an extra gain stage. I think its aggressiveness and articulation are what is impressing me most, along with its very sensitive EQ.

My question is, what kind of mods could i do (or get done) to build on this?
I dont want an entirely new module, i love this one, but just think it could be built on a little....

I believe Rob can not only Base-mod it...but he actually has made a KH-23...(that was Rob, right?) It's basically the 2 and 3 together in the same mod. Surely with whatever other custom appointments you would like.

Yeah, i remember those, though i'm not looking for the KH2 channel to be added, but rather to build upon the KH3's already steller platform. I love the tone, and everything i mentioned. I dont want those changed, but perhaps added to or something of that nature.

Yeah man, totally get a hold of Rob, give him all of your likes and dislikes and he'll hook you up with a beast.

What you're describing is a Base Mod. You tell me what you like and what you need from it and I'll get it where you want it. Best $100 value in MTS out there.

I have a JF custom KH3 where it was shaped after the tone on Metallica's RTL & Black albums. It's one additional switch that alters the EQ. Man, this mod kills though! To me, it has a bit of a Recto/SLO thing going on with some Marshall attitude. I like it much better than the Mark X I had for the Metallica tone. That said, the Mark X could nail AJFA while this hits a slightly different territory. Talk to Rob and let him know what you're thinking and go from there. I'm starting to think the mods based after specific tones (custom KH3 for Metallica & DamagePlan for Pantera) are much better than the mods based after certain amps.

speed2dirt said:
I have a JF custom KH3 where it was shaped after the tone on Metallica's RTL & Black albums. It's one additional switch that alters the EQ. Man, this mod kills though! To me, it has a bit of a Recto/SLO thing going on with some Marshall attitude. I like it much better than the Mark X I had for the Metallica tone. That said, the Mark X could nail AJFA while this hits a slightly different territory. Talk to Rob and let him know what you're thinking and go from there. I'm starting to think the mods based after specific tones (custom KH3 for Metallica & DamagePlan for Pantera) are much better than the mods based after certain amps.

Yep, I had that one prior and it was a tone stack mod done by Rob to sound like both Ride the Lightning and Black Album with a toggle. I thought it nailed those tones! That was a killer mod and certainly the best KH3 I've played.

So i just got back my Schecter Hellraiser, and i heard that the KH modules prefer active pups, since that's what Kirk uses, so i thought i'd give it a whirl.
Interestingly enough, it does like the EMG's more than my Duncan JB, but the it hates boosting with my MXR ZW44. The tone is way too fizzy, with this overly trebled buzz when i down pick the low E. That's with the gain on the KH3 pulled back to noon, and the presence/depth knobs the same.
I've even pulled back on the tone control on the OD, and it's still not great. BUT then I turn it off, and the KH3 > Schecter is great!
It seems passive + boost/KH3 = awesome!
Then active + KH3 = super awesome!
But active + boost/KH3 = baaaaaaaaaaad!