Where do we go now? The big news is here...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So nice to see someone taking pride in their work.....and pushing the boundaries of guitar tone...makes me feel like amp design is moving forward, well done :)

It's a pretty impressive list of mods for these amps. although I can't say I can pony for a new JF amp, I would hope I'd be able to gets some mods a la cart style.

Are you thinking of offering these as menu items for mods once you sell out of your prebuilds or is at an all or nothing kind of affair?

I hope this endeavor pays off for you, thats a lot of work

whytejacks said:
So nice to see someone taking pride in their work.....and pushing the boundaries of guitar tone...makes me feel like amp design is moving forward, well done :)

I wish I had Rob's job!!!

JKD said:
I actually missed the NFB control point :)

So you are saying in addition to frequency tuning via Pres/Density...the NFB control is acting as a level of NFB effect?

All good sir, there was a lot of info to take in! You are spot on: the NFB knob adjusts the amount of Negative Feedback pumped back through the power amp. It provides TOTAL control of the power amp. If you have had the pleasure of owning an amp with this feature you will certainly be a fan of it.

whytejacks said:
I sincerely thank you for this compliment, it really brought a smile to my face.

withmittens said:
It's a pretty impressive list of mods for these amps. although I can't say I can pony for a new JF amp, I would hope I'd be able to gets some mods a la cart style.

Are you thinking of offering these as menu items for mods once you sell out of your prebuilds or is at an all or nothing kind of affair?

I will most certainly entertain that.

It's worth pointing out the value of the package though. The amps are brand new in their boxes, eliminating the potential horrors I see from abused MTS amps all the time (more than you would ever imagine). You are basically paying around $400 for the new RM100's that retailed for $1700-3200 new, plus the cost of my materials and labor. It's a hell of a deal particularly because you save $70-$125 on the cost of having to ship your amp here on the front end.

This list of mods would run around $1200 on your own RM100 assuming no repairs had to be done to your amp on top of the mods.

mfgobbi said:
whytejacks said:

As with any job, it's not without it's good and bad days! :lol:
I always say if you do something you love you will never work a day in your life.

I second the nomination for the 'a la carte' menu, when you've sold all the amps. I've got a Mod100 and I'm not sure if a transformer upgrade would be worth it. But having the Input mod and the FX Loop mod would be fantastic.

Of course, I'm assuming that mods to an Egnater would be possible. Yes?

homiefud said:
I second the nomination for the 'a la carte' menu, when you've sold all the amps. I've got a Mod100 and I'm not sure if a transformer upgrade would be worth it. But having the Input mod and the FX Loop mod would be fantastic.

Of course, I'm assuming that mods to an Egnater would be possible. Yes?
Indeed they would be. For the record, I actually do like the Heyboers in the Egnater modular amps. They are softer and less 3D than the Mercurys, but it's a cool change of pace for me.

MarcoR said:
Can the input mod be done to an RM4 or M4? :D
Not very easily I'm afraid. I just looked at an open one in the shop and it's a REAL PITA to do. Not impossible but I would have to really sleep on that request.

Jaded Faith said:
withmittens said:

I will most certainly entertain that.

It's worth pointing out the value of the package though. The amps are brand new in their boxes, eliminating the potential horrors I see from abused MTS amps all the time (more than you would ever imagine). You are basically paying around $400 for the new RM100's that retailed for $1700-3200 new, plus the cost of my materials and labor. It's a hell of a deal particularly because you save $70-$125 on the cost of having to ship your amp here on the front end.

This list of mods would run around $1200 on your own RM100 assuming no repairs had to be done to your amp on top of the mods.

no doubt you will sell these, and it seems like a good deal for someone looking at getting a new amp. for me though I'd either get an RM4 and a rack amp or, do a few mods to my RM50 but to put the lot into it seems a bit much for what it is, the RM50, that is, not your mods. if there were further unknown repairs needed to be done to my RM50, more of a reason to look for power outside of MTS.

of course no one said modding was cheap.

Jaded Faith said:
MarcoR said:
Not very easily I'm afraid. I just looked at an open one in the shop and it's a REAL PITA to do. Not impossible but I would have to really sleep on that request.

Ah, but did you look at an open RM4 or M4? Remember the M4 has 1 less tube so more space to work with! We might be in business! :twisted:

MarcoR said:
Jaded Faith said:
MarcoR said:

Ah, but did you look at an open RM4 or M4? Remember the M4 has 1 less tube so more space to work with! We might be in business! :twisted:
Unfortunately it has nothing to do with that. It's how the tubes are mounted and a few other things. If you saw the replacement PCB and how the RM or M4 works you would totally see what I mean. Noise could also be a major factor as well as the module going into slot 3 being able to clear the circuitry.

Jaded Faith said:
MarcoR said:
Jaded Faith said:
MarcoR said:

Unfortunately it has nothing to do with that. It's how the tubes are mounted and a few other things. If you saw the replacement PCB and how the RM or M4 works you would totally see what I mean. Noise could also be a major factor as well as the module going into slot 3 being able to clear the circuitry.

Okay, bummer... I'll just save it for the RM50 then.

What about some sort of hardwire to include the second input triode for that added harmonic richness, but no (variable) boost?

This is awesome! This goes to prove that we can still squeeze a little bit more innovation out of the MTS system!

If I had the money right now I would jump on one of the RM100's but sadly tuition bills are eating all my money right now :( Though I would be very interested in getting these mods done to the RM100 I just picked up on eBay at some point in the future. Hopefully it won't need any additional work or repairs.

Thanks,
John

mfgobbi said:
whytejacks said:

not me. I feel exhausted just reading that first post. :D ;)

Wish I had the cash to get in on this. I love my RM100, but know there have been repairs in its past (burnt traces, etc) It would be awesome to have a brand new upgraded one. Plus the new plate is wicked cool