EQ question?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the crush 36

Reaction score
I have a old 10 band mxr eq (it's blue and has ac power cord) works great! after I cleaned it up! I have not had it out in years, but I wanted to hook it up thru my rm 100, I currently use digitech rp 1000 (4CM) I just use that for reverb,delay,chours pretty much! so their are several ways to run the eq I'm just not sure what's best?
I have tried it in the parallel effects loop with the effects knob to 100% and it sounded ok! can anyone give me some tips on best way to use my eq,
Thanks!!!!

Mattfig said:
Heya,

I like it as the first thing in the series loop.

Cheers,
Mattfig

I could just try this out but would this work in his scenario (I use an RP1000 as well with the 4CM)?

eyeball987 said:
Mattfig said:
Heya,

I like it as the first thing in the series loop.

Cheers,
Mattfig

I could just try this out but would this work in his scenario (I use an RP1000 as well with the 4CM)?

I'm not sure if putting the eq in series effects will work using the 4 (cm) I don't think it will? Sounds like me and you are running similar set ups!! I tried the eq in the parallel loop didn't care for it their! and I tried it in the stomp loop of the rp 1000 and I set it post effect their is a option to set it pre or post when using stomp loop, seems to sound better post effect, I still want to try a few different ways to try to use my mxr 10 band eq !!

series loop is best.

The parallel loop actually splits your signal into two paths. One is your pure signal, the other is your effected signal. Which is why when you run things like delay & reverb in the parallel loop, you should run the effect 100% wet (or with kill-dry on). At the loop return, your newly effected signal is blended to taste by the mix knob on the front of the RM100 with your dry signal.

If you use EQ in the parallel loop, you're only EQing part of the signal. So you're blending an EQ signal with your pure, dry signal. You won't notice the effect of the EQing as much.

Any effect you put in the series loop, you are effecting the entire signal. That's just what you want with EQ, tremolo, chorus, etc. All of these effects don't sound as good when you're only partially effect your signal

VitaminG said:
series loop is best.

The parallel loop actually splits your signal into two paths. One is your pure signal, the other is your effected signal. Which is why when you run things like delay & reverb in the parallel loop, you should run the effect 100% wet (or with kill-dry on). At the loop return, your newly effected signal is blended to taste by the mix knob on the front of the RM100 with your dry signal.

If you use EQ in the parallel loop, you're only EQing part of the signal. So you're blending an EQ signal with your pure, dry signal. You won't notice the effect of the EQing as much.

Any effect you put in the series loop, you are effecting the entire signal. That's just what you want with EQ, tremolo, chorus, etc. All of these effects don't sound as good when you're only partially effect your signal

Thanks a lot! great info, This is my set up- Randall rm 100 and I'm using digitech rp 1000 with the 4 (cm) just for effects like (delay reverb chorus noise gate) out of rp 1000's input I go into zw wah pedal then to my mxr distortion, but I wanted to add my mxr eq in the chain somewhere, do you know about the stomp loop on the digitech rp1000 is that like a series loop? or is their any difference between the series loop on my Randall rm 100 and the stomp loop on digitech rp 1000? and the eq can be pre or post in the stomp loop, I thought post sounded better, do you know if the eq should be pre or post? in the stomp loop? Or maybe theirs a different way to hook up everything? Thanks!!! A lot!

I'm not sure about the stomp loop on the RP1000. I would imagine it is a series loop so that it sounds best with the most types of effects.

You will notice a difference placing the EQ pre- or post-. Thinking of pre- as shaping your tone before the signal hits the amp. So if you want to thicken some single coils, lean out your humbuckers, kick in a mid-boost or scoop, you can alter the inherent sound of your pickups (or fuzz/distortion if you place it after a dirt box) at the stomp of your feet.

Post- is shaping the sound of your amp before it hits the power stage. It can give you deeper control of your tone than just the low/mid/high EQ on most amps. Both pre- and post- can be very useful depending on what you're trying to achieve.

From your description, you have your wah & distortion in the stomp loop already? If you also put your EQ in the stomp loop, it will limit your options. The wah & distortion will always be better in front of your amp, so your EQ would stuck in front too. If you decide to move the stomp loop to post-, then your wah & distortion are in your loop too. Blecccch.

So I've just been looking at a schematic of the 4CM setup for the RP1000 & I figure you have two options (if I've misinterpreted your description, disregard)

1. Leave the wah & distortion in the stomp loop and place it pre-. Put the EQ in line between the amp's fx send and the RP1000's Amp Loop Return. That way the EQ is shaping the signal right out of the RM100's preamp, before you apply reverb, delay & chorus

signal:
guitar -> RP1000 in -> stomp loop (wah/dist) -> RP amp send -> RM100 in -> RM fx send -> EQ -> RP amp return -> RP line out -> RM fx return

2. put the EQ in the stomp loop. Wah & distortion are in line before your RP input. You then have the choice of moving the EQ between pre- and post- with no impact to your other pedals which should stay out front anyway

signal:
guitar -> wah -> distortion -> RP1000 in -> stomp loop (EQ) -> RP amp send -> RM100 in -> RM fx send -> RP amp return -> RP line out -> RM fx return

VitaminG said:
I'm not sure about the stomp loop on the RP1000. I would imagine it is a series loop so that it sounds best with the most types of effects.

You will notice a difference placing the EQ pre- or post-. Thinking of pre- as shaping your tone before the signal hits the amp. So if you want to thicken some single coils, lean out your humbuckers, kick in a mid-boost or scoop, you can alter the inherent sound of your pickups (or fuzz/distortion if you place it after a dirt box) at the stomp of your feet.

Post- is shaping the sound of your amp before it hits the power stage. It can give you deeper control of your tone than just the low/mid/high EQ on most amps. Both pre- and post- can be very useful depending on what you're trying to achieve.

From your description, you have your wah & distortion in the stomp loop already? If you also put your EQ in the stomp loop, it will limit your options. The wah & distortion will always be better in front of your amp, so your EQ would stuck in front too. If you decide to move the stomp loop to post-, then your wah & distortion are in your loop too. Blecccch.

So I've just been looking at a schematic of the 4CM setup for the RP1000 & I figure you have two options (if I've misinterpreted your description, disregard)

1. Leave the wah & distortion in the stomp loop and place it pre-. Put the EQ in line between the amp's fx send and the RP1000's Amp Loop Return. That way the EQ is shaping the signal right out of the RM100's preamp, before you apply reverb, delay & chorus

signal:
guitar -> RP1000 in -> stomp loop (wah/dist) -> RP amp send -> RM100 in -> RM fx send -> EQ -> RP amp return -> RP line out -> RM fx return

2. put the EQ in the stomp loop. Wah & distortion are in line before your RP input. You then have the choice of moving the EQ between pre- and post- with no impact to your other pedals which should stay out front anyway

signal:
guitar -> wah -> distortion -> RP1000 in -> stomp loop (EQ) -> RP amp send -> RM100 in -> RM fx send -> RP amp return -> RP line out -> RM fx return

Hey thanks again! VitaminG, I am running rp1000 4(cm) then out of the input of rp1000 i go into wah pedal-then distortion then into my guitar, and I have the eq in stomp loop (post), but I'm gonna try it the way you explained in (1.) I never tried my wah and distortion in the stomp loop of rp1000 before, or the eq like you explained inline between effects send! Thanks again! I never really understood the effects order pre,or post?? etc. I never used many effects normally I just plug straight into amp most of the time!