Floyd Rose Issue

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGKAHUNA

Reaction score
I got a guitar that has a Floyd Rose Special on it and I want to change it out with an Original Floyd Rose. I have heard its a "drop-in" replacement. My question is will the threaded inserts for the FRS be compatible with the OFR Studs? I have no tools or means to remove and replace the inserts and am hoping that the thread pitch is the same. Also, the nuts listed are R2,3,4,5, etc. All I know is my ESP LTD has a 43mm nut.

Anybody able to help with this one?

The Floyd Rose Special is actually a good Floyd, though, isn't it? I heard it's practically the same as an OFR, just built by ESP. Have you done the magnet test? You just stick a magnet to the knife edges to see if it stick (if it does, they're steel) and to the sustain block (also, steel). If it doesn't stick to the block, chances are it's zinc, and you could change that for $40 or so and be good.

The OFR has a brass sustain block

I would be tempted to leave the original studs in place unless they look a bit chewed up and use the existing locknut - just change the bridge part

Note that OFRs come with three different sustain block lengths 32mm/37mm and 42mm.
You would be wise to measure the depth of the one on your FRS first before seeking out an OFR so you buy the right one

My OFR (and it IS an OFR) has a zinc block. Gotohs come with brass, and Schallers come with zinc too. Some of the older OFRs came with steel.

I have had a couple of the FRS on 2 of my Jackson imports. They are not horrible & certainly better than the previous J500 Floyd style trem Jackson was putting on the imports. With that being said I would suggest a big block & spring upgrades from FU-Tone.com if you are sticking with the FRS.
* As for the OFR, it is a drop in replacement. The OFR posts screwed right in to the FRS inserts. Swapping the nut might be a tad bit harder. For what ever reason the OFR nut was a tad bit taller than the FRS nut that came on my Jackson SLXMG. Enough so that fretting notes or chords on the 1st couple of frets resulted in them being sharp. I had a tech in town lower the nut shelf & the problem was solved.

* The other thing that annoys me with all newer Floyds is that **** collar. It inevitably comes loose & the bars always seem to have some play in them. My solution was to get a screw-in arm (FYI - needs the assembly as well for this style bar).

shinozoku and plugnplay - You sure the blocks were zinc? I thought all of the MIG OFR's had the chromed (or zinc coated) brass blocks..