Ultra, Modern, 1987 or 1086 for Lead ?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trashgreen

Reaction score
Hello out there, great to see there is still some life around the MTS modules!!

I have a chance to get back on the MTS wagon after 3 years of absence. I will be buying 2 modules as a start. One will be the Judge and the second has to be something to support that module with a possible rhythm/ lead variation in sound and feel for metal to get as broad a setup as possible with just the two modules.

At the moment I have these 4 modules to choose from:

Ultra - I thinking this is a good choice for the variation in both rhythm and more powerful leads?

Modern - I?m not too familiar with this module, I once had the Ultra XL, I`m guessing it?s in the same league?

1987 - I have read a lot of great things about this one and I?m leaning towards this because of that, but will it do the leads( maybe with a boost)?

1086 - I like the variation of this module. How close to the Rectifier is the second mode and will the first mode differ enough from the Judge?

One you haven't mentioned thats got great rhythm and lead tones, is the KH3. Great tones and a very strong EQ, loves a boost. Its got a great mid sweep, so the leads just flying off it!
Also, the Modern isn't like the Ultra XL, in fact it has less gain than the Ultra. It's stiffer than the others, does good leads, but the KH is far better.
The 1086 is a great versatile module, but i always found it hard dialling in a tone i really loved, never really used it for leads. But i can imagine it can do them.
I don't know about the 1987, but i hear good things!

Dave Friedman designed The 1987 for Scott Ian of Anthrax. It's a good sounding - but not so flexible JCM 800 module. Very medium gain! I think you will be happy with a Judge and 1987 as long as you really love Marshall Amps.

Latest posts