The Meanest Marshall Mod?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buriedorburned

Reaction score
Who makes the meanest Marshall mod? I always considered the SG Bully to be the meanest Marshall mod I've ever heard, but since those are few and far between, who's taking the mantel?

+1 Another vote for Voodoo Amps

for me the meanest non-modded marshall I ever owned was a 2555SL
"sig slash head" - (Years ago "my tone" was running my "prized" 2555sl 1/2 stack in tandem with a Splawn Pro mod 1/2 stack - "Killer & Heavenly" sounding but also deafening

I sold the 2555sl after I got my Voodoo Recto module - its has a
vibe/tone similiar enough to the marshall 2555sl but with more
available gain

can't go wrong with a voodoo mod IMO

for me, the voodoo recto made feel as if I were actually plugged into
a real "made in britian" marshall head whereas other well known modded modules made me feel as if I was playing an amp the was voiced either
a little to the left of or a little to the right of a marshall (where the marshall is right in the middle tonally)

Yeah, i know that! That's what i wrote in the original post, since that's basically gold dust around here, i'm asking what takes the mantel otherwise?

The MashAll+ in Jose800 mode. gets my vote. I'd also give a nod to the JF grailtone. I shouldn't have sold mine. Cool module. Its better than the bully, at least IMO.

For surfer/punk rock, the JF QM wasn't bad, but it has a very different vibe.

Kapo_Polenton's "Brownstone" module... tighter and crunchier than a nun's _ _ _ _ ....... only one in existence though, sitting in my LB100!

Hard to pick one, so I didn't... In no specific order.
1) Jaded Faith modded Mr. Scary
2) Jaded Faith GrailTone
3) Friedman Hairy Brown Eye

The GrailTone is NOT a "mean" Marshall mod. It's higher gain, but vintage higher gain aka EVH type Marshall heavy.

I have the Quickmod and that is the perfect mean Marshall mod. It does high-gain 80s heavy+ Marshall perfectly. Don't know how it compares to Mash-all but it's for sure heavier than the JF 1959RR Platinum and the SL2X.

It goes from GNR to ADA Mp-1 3TM sounds to as heavy as you want Marshall sounds. Get one and I'm sure you'll be happy. This is probably OD2 2nd or 3rd gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npSRppqzfGE

I really like my Friedman HBE Steve Stevens hot pink Marshall mod. It speaks when played (ummm errrr ahhhh - that kinda stuff, cause mods don't speak English.)

I have a Camerock in the mail, but I don't think it's "mean". But I'm excited to find out what it can do!
I think either GrailTone or Quick Mod will be the next Marshall to come my way. It'll probably come down to what's not tonally nearer the Camerock.

The camerock is a great marshally tone.
Everything from the beginning to the end..
But I know you.. You want raw, grit, and fidelity...
I think your looking for the bully...
Cranked loud and proud.. Best **** Marshall Ive heard in person in a live venue....
Just my 2 cents....
Johnny..

When really a modded Marshall is so modded that it is no longer a Marshall...??

As far as I am concerned, SLO100, Ecstasy, Diezel, to mention a few, are all modded Marshalls... and with a bit of a Stretch... why not a the Rectifier-type amps??

When the Recto came out it was based on the early soldano (a modded marshall really) circuit to compete with marshalls and soldanos and bogner because their fender-based hi-gain boogies were too focused and narrow banded. The circuit, unlike the Marks post EQ saturation, is, sure enough, pre EQ saturation, as are Marshalls... Rectos sound to me like scooped mid gainier Marshalls....

In summary, everything is either modded fender or modded marshall....

Now, if you want that special marshall eq curve with those beautiful higher mids, that is recognizable from clean to crunch to high gain... I will vote for the Camerock or the Quick Mod GT.

Well like I said, I have the Camerock on the way, and it might well cure my modded Marshall blues. But at the same time, I started this thread to find out if there was a current production Marshall mod that could do what the SG Bully does, and it appears I might just have to find a Bully further down the road.
Dang Scott, I wish you'd come back into the game!