C-Watt---Holy Hell

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

withmittens

Reaction score
I'll make this short. For those of you who have this mod, i highly recommend finding an old AXU7, I have a couple Amperex, others will do fine, RCA, Mullard, Telefunken, they only cost a little more. Put it in V1 of the amp, then do an old AX7, same brands in the V1 of the pre. I use Tung Sol in the other spots.

I put the gain on custom, dial the gain low, 8 o clock, volume higher, master amp knob high.

the bright switch on DR, the tone switch on DR and I get the real HiWatt sound, I'm not kidding. you can fool with the other knobs on your rig, but man, on mine, it's very inspiring. I'm playing new things I've never thought of. It;s bright, edge of break up, not saturated and punch as hell

flabbergasting

Sounds really cool. I never looked at the Hiwatt stuff much as that's not a tone I ever needed or desired in the past.
Been digging those edge of break up tones lately though and as I am getting into new music styles it may become useful to me so I will have to check one of these out.

a couple of cool things about the sound is that 1. the clean is easily pushed into crunch/punch by pick attack alone, and 2. you can dial the gain higher for absolutely wonderful saturated rock tone

I got a 3 way mid switch for various degrees of tightness eq.

I think I may need to try this. However, I am pretty much loving the cleans out of this module with a blend of the gain on DR and everything else set to Custom. I am copping some good Jesus Lizard tones with El34 tubes and WGS Et65.

horseblanket said:
I think I may need to try this. However, I am pretty much loving the cleans out of this module with a blend of the gain on DR and everything else set to Custom. I am copping some good Jesus Lizard tones with El34 tubes and WGS Et65.

found that Jesus Lizard tone today. **** fine

The C-Watt seems like an extremely unique and versatile module. Looking to put an order in to Anthony soon for one!

That would be what to do if you want that Hiwatt sound. get a fane or fane copy speaker to if you can. I have Reeves purple. nice

We built our own accurate Hiwatt DR-103 module, great sounding amps to be sure!

I typically use mine with virtual EL34's via a Two Notes Torpedo, and vintage Celestions for a Marshall meets Hiwatt tone (also great with Fanes of course).

If chasing real vintage 70's - 80's Hiwatt tones be aware that they came loaded with Fanes in the EU, and Eminence in the US/Canada to save on shipping costs.

djdayson said:
We built our own accurate Hiwatt DR-103 module, great sounding amps to be sure!

I typically use mine with virtual EL34's via a Two Notes Torpedo, and vintage Celestions for a Marshall meets Hiwatt tone (also great with Fanes of course).

If chasing real vintage 70's - 80's Hiwatt tones be aware that they came loaded with Fanes in the EU, and Eminence in the US/Canada to save on shipping costs.

you have mentioned this quite a few times throughout these pages. i would love to know more about this mod and how to bribe you into making one for me. i am happy with my C-Watt though, it would be nice to have a straight DR103 channel. every time you pop into say you've done this mod it's like poking me in the eye

Rhombus said:
I have the H-Watt - not sure how different it is from the new C-Watt ?

Curious to know how you find the H-Watt. I almost went with this one as it was pure DR103, I did not want the extra gain. do you find this is accurate in tone and the gain you would normally get when cranked, playing hard, and then cleans up when playing softer?

I do like the two gain pots as a concept.

withmittens said:
Rhombus said:
I have the H-Watt - not sure how different it is from the new C-Watt ?

Curious to know how you find the H-Watt. I almost went with this one as it was pure DR103, I did not want the extra gain. do you find this is accurate in tone and the gain you would normally get when cranked, playing hard, and then cleans up when playing softer?

I do like the two gain pots as a concept.

I have played both and can say that the H-Watt sounded meaner and very vintage in the short time I played it...

C-Watt is smoother and its gain is less harsh....

Both would be awesome picks, I guess I favor the H-Watt a bit for the extra vintage flavor it has...C-Watt would likely be more popular for most users though....

From what I talked with Rob from Jaded Faith, the HW103 Classic is the original DR103 circuit with options for all 4 input options but no parallel jumpers (like the Salvo H-WATT). The HW103 that is on the JF website is NOT the original 103, it has MUCH MUCH higher gain, sort of like a modded HIWATT of unknown origin.