Module Selection help

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAbomb12

Reaction score
I'm planning on purchasing a Randall RM100M head soon, but I have a few questions on the modules. I'm fairly certain that I'm going to get the Blackface Module for my cleans; but I'd like to know...

1) I'm hearing conflicting reviews of the Rectified Modules. How does the 'Rectified' module Sound? Is this a different Module then 'Recto' ? How does it REALLY stack up against a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifer? Would you recommend the 'Rectified' module for Rhythm?

2) If you don't recommend the Rectified modules, which module is good for hi-gain, heavy Palm muted Rhythm Playing?

3) What is a good module for "Searing Leads" ( ie Satriani type tone).

I like the 1086 for both the lead and rhythm work you describe. I also LOVE the XTC for lead. I'd like to try the Ultra XL for lead also.

Ok from the Reviews I will definitly be grabbing a 1086 module. So far I'm going to get: Blackface, 1086.

I need to know though, How close is the Rectifer to The Real Thing? If its not very close, I think I'll just grab the XTC for my last module.

Well, I can't truly compare it to the real deal as it's been at least 2 years since I played through a Triple Rec, but I really really like the one I just got in a trade through Dayn on this board.
The modules I have are the recto,modern,xtc,blackface and ultraxl. I am really diggin the recto and ultra xl both for rhythm and leads. I can get very close to the tone of my DSL100 with the modern. The xtc I have a love/hate thing with it. Some days I really like it, and some days I don't. I like the clean tones from the blackface and it takes overdrive and distortion pedals very well.

All right, thanks for the info guys.

Just one more thing- are either teh XTC or the Ultra XL good for "metal shred" style solos?

I have the xtc and rectified and the other person in my band plays a triple rec. The rectified comes very close, but doesnt get the snarl the mesa does really. The XTC is a great module with an excellent sound, however i always feel that it could use a little more gain; everyone raves about the 1086's over the xtc and I love the ultra module a lot.

I think the UltraXL is very good for shred. I don't think the XTC is as much, but others might disagree.

Okay, I think I'm going to go with this initial setup: Blackface, UltraXL, Rectified.

Thanks for you help guys. :D

cool choice! that's what's loaded in mine right now. :) I switch the modern and the ultraxl in and out depending on the tones i want.

Yeah thats where im stuck at too. Iv heard clips of the 1086 and it sounds pretty sweet. Im thinking blackface, 1086 and another module that i havnt picked yet as well. I still havnt heard any ultra xl clips and i really want too. Plus i was thinking ill probably get enough of the rect out of the 1086.

I'll just chime in here and say since I tried almost all of the modules available (aside from the Ultra XL), the 1086 totally SMASHES the other high gain modules IMHO. It was THE best sounding to my ears, and was also the most versatile of the group. If I buy another RM-100 head I would go with Blackface, Ultra XL (rhythm) and 1086 (rhythm 2 and lead) personally. Hope that helps! :D