The Meanest Marshall Mod?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I was sort of hoping that! Could be promising. A video of the GrailTone would be sweet, the clip on the site is good, but a walk-through would be nice, considering all it's tone shaping features.

Any takers?

buriedorburned,

To clarify what I meant before about the JF GrailTone, it does get mean, but in a vintage sense. I haven't played an SG Bully, but I heard it is very similar.

To illustrate:

GrailTone = hot-rodded Plexi (Vintage "mean" sounding)
Quickmod = hot rodded JCM800 (More "modern mean" sounding)

Both are high-gain and "mean" for their respective periods. The GrailTone is about maybe 2/3 the gain of the Quickmod overall, and the Quickmod is definitely meaner, more aggressive, thicker and more saturated.

If you want a Bully clone, I'd say the GrailTone is the way to go. Or you could probably swap modules with someone to try things out. I'd be willing to lend you my GrailTone and/or Quickmod if you will lend your Bully to me.

I'll see if I can make a quick demo video with my digital camera this weekend for ya.

Thanks for the info, and for the offer, but I don't have a Bully, that's why I'm looking for one like it in current production. I played one a few years back, that's all.
I don't suppose, if you do make a vid, you could compare them both?
Naturally, only if you have the time mate!

Both the GrailTone and QuickMod are great looking and as I'm a Marshall lover, they will probably both end up in the collection at some point this year.
Just have to keep reminding myself, "One mod at a time..."

mikegyver said:
buriedorburned,

To clarify what I meant before about the JF GrailTone, it does get mean, but in a vintage sense. I haven't played an SG Bully, but I heard it is very similar.

To illustrate:

GrailTone = hot-rodded Plexi (Vintage "mean" sounding)
Quickmod = hot rodded JCM800 (More "modern mean" sounding)

Both are high-gain and "mean" for their respective periods. The GrailTone is about maybe 2/3 the gain of the Quickmod overall, and the Quickmod is definitely meaner, more aggressive, thicker and more saturated.

If you want a Bully clone, I'd say the GrailTone is the way to go. Or you could probably swap modules with someone to try things out. I'd be willing to lend you my GrailTone and/or Quickmod if you will lend your Bully to me.

I'll see if I can make a quick demo video with my digital camera this weekend for ya.

A Bully Clone?

Fig, what I meant by "Bully Clone" is that the Grail Tone is probably the closest module in production readily available if you are looking for something similar.

Not exactly a Bully Clone from what I know, but probably very close.

I'll make a vid comparing the Quickmod to the Grail Tone in the next few days and report back.

I know that Drew has a Grail Tone and a Bully. He may be able to give you the best comparison between the 2.

I have a Grail Tone and absolutely love it... Anything from vintage Plexi to a great Marshall crunch..

I have a dualie Grailtone. Try it with all the tone controls maxed out, then back off slightly to taste. You will be blown away.

buriedorburned said:
I'm actually more interested in the GrailTone / QuickMod comparison, since I've tried neither of them. :)

Grail tone is like a nice old plexi with flubby bass. QM is like a JCM800 with teeth.

Mattfig said:
Grailtone sounds interesting....

Dude... The Grailtone is ridiculous!!!

Back in the day I played this slightly modded 100 watt JMP and it was THE tone. In a fit of weakness and stupidity, I sold it. I have been searching for that tone ever since! I only came across it once. My buddy Kevin - One Man's Trash, Downers Grove, Pedl - had an Egnater modified 50 watt JMP that pretty much nailed it, but he would NEVER let it go. I do get visitation rights if I cook dinner :p LOL The Grailtone and my RM100H NAILS my old Marshall tone! I'm so happy with that mod

It does VH1/VH2 all day and if you tweak it a bit you get, Georges Back for the Attack, John Sykes Whitesnake and pretty authentic Dave Black! All I need to say is I am in a power trio - in addition to playing with Shawn in L&W - because my bass player and I LOVE Seduce :p The first time I heard Chopping Block I was hooked :p LOL

We gotta hook up... you can check my Grailtone when you bring me toys :p LOL

H

Big Daddy said:
Mattfig said:
Grailtone sounds interesting....

Dude... The Grailtone is ridiculous!!!

Back in the day I played this slightly modded 100 watt JMP and it was THE tone. In a fit of weakness and stupidity, I sold it. I have been searching for that tone ever since! I only came across it once. My buddy Kevin - One Man's Trash, Downers Grove, Pedl - had an Egnater modified 50 watt JMP that pretty much nailed it, but he would NEVER let it go. I do get visitation rights if I cook dinner :p LOL The Grailtone and my RM100H NAILS my old Marshall tone! I'm so happy with that mod

It does VH1/VH2 all day and if you tweak it a bit you get, Georges Back for the Attack, John Sykes Whitesnake and pretty authentic Dave Black! All I need to say is I am in a power trio - in addition to playing with Shawn in L&W - because my bass player and I LOVE Seduce :p The first time I heard Chopping Block I was hooked :p LOL

We gotta hook up... you can check my Grailtone when you bring me toys :p LOL

H

Seduce...there's a name I haven't heard in decades! I remember in the 80's my drum teacher used to cross the river to go watch Seduce and Halloween. I only got to see them in music videos.

Here it is boys, as promised I finally got around and made a quick video comparing the two a week ago or so, used my iPhone for video/audio but sounds pretty decent with headphones or bigger speakers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iD1XTKKk7I

Let me know if you have any questions or want specific settings or riffs in another video. Don't knock the playing either :)

Nice vid! Good to finally have a video of both of them, they deof have their own sounds. You can really tell the Quick Mod is a lot more modern focused than the Grail Tone. But both sound great and clearly have their place. Just awesome!

Latest posts