500 series/MTS mods in one rack...is it just me?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

withmittens

Reaction score
or does this idea make compete sense in a studio setting? The 500 series range in price from 200-2500 dollars the mods range in price from 100-500. Just wondering if there ever intended to be any coexistence of the two....

As I look around in my dream world at 500 gear, I see a rack for 400-500 and many modules for a few hundred that could be very useful in crafting a great sound for recording. I know software/plugins are now almost zero latency and sound pretty darn good but....tubes... I dunno.

seems like a perfect match

not just you. I actually suggested this in Fig & Johnny's speculation thread.

Although I also suggested a range of mods that emulated cheapo solid state practice amps.

I imagine the actual signal / switching paths are not even close to one another, and while they do appear similar in shape / modular design, the similarities stop there. I don't even know if the card contacts / connectors are the same... similar power supply? I don't know... but I have my doubts.

I can't speak for withmittens, but I wasn't suggesting that you could just plug an MTS module into a 500 series rack. But you might be able to build a 500 series-style rack that could accept MTS modules. This custom rack would have appropriate power, contacts, etc. Give it balanced outs (would you include power amp & speaker emulation?) and it could be perfect for silent recording.

If you wanted to combine 500 series modules with MTS (which seems to be what withmittens is thinking), you might need to have dedicated sections in the rack. But imagine - one rack, with MTS modules in one section and compressor, EQ, mic pres, what-have-you in the other. All within one device. Could be cool

This concept won't happen for two reasons:

1: The modular tube-based amplification concept is patented. You can't build this and offer it for sale without a lawsuit on your hands. This has been made VERY clear by the parties involved.

2: The 500-series format only provides it's modules with a bipolar 16V. To even attempt to make a tube preamp work within this system constraint, you would need a step-up transformer on the preamp itself to provide around 250V. I have only seen a few 500-series modules that do this, all only able to accommodate a single 12AX7. The unit is cramped for space beyond belief and it will EASILY retail for around $1000+ for the sheer cost of parts alone. You essentially have to build the power supply that your RM4 has onto every single module created. Very costly.

Although it's a cool idea, it's not practical nor legal.

yeah, I was just sort of saying 'what if'. An RM4 with it's power and slot requirements with a 4 slot 500 series with it's power and slot requirements, in one box.

Also, I wasn't proposing we steal anything. I can't imagine the owners of the rights to MTS or 500 have stopped dreaming of what to do with the formats, I bet while they're mowing the lawn or cleaning the bathroom, they might also think about what else to do with the whole modular thing. After all, it is a big world and thinking people, you know, keep thinking

but whatever, maybe they don't :wink:

I was curious about this when I was getting started with MTS, but while they are both modular, I think the actual circuit boards aren't the same size as a 500 series rack module.

But I was just comparing photos.

I've thought about similar. Was thinking that in an ideal MTS setup, that if the various 'channels' could be linked in series, that effects modules could also be developed - using the same interfaces as the preamp modules. No real reason this couldn't be designed into the MTS 'system'. Then, you could have all kinds of effects options as well, also subject to significant modification by competent modders. If these could be made multi-'channel' and midi programmable, the possibilities would be endless...

To me it kind of feels like asking for one box that contains a guitar amp and a UA 1176 or something. The sort of gear that comes in the form of 500-series modules tends to have a different purpose and philosophy than our MTS mods. The idea of a modular system for guitar effects is kinda neat, but we sort of already have one: pedals. Sure, having it all in one box means everything is unified on the same power source and all of that jazz, but in terms of added benefit, the gulf between that and pedals isn't anywhere near the gulf between a bunch of different guitar amps and a single MTS rig.

I use 500 series comps and EQs before my MTS preamps. It's a dual addiction that I do not recommend. I plug the guitar into a Creation Audio Labs MW1 studio tool. It has a line level send and return where I insert the 500 series comps and EQs. It then brings the signal back to Hi Z (instrument level) for connection to the front of an amp or a preamp/amp or pedals then amp. You need a 500 series chassis which are 3 rack spaces (or you can get a single space that holds 2 or 3 of the 500 series modules sideways. The MW1 is one rack space. So for 2 rack spaces you can get studio grade comp/EQ instead of using pedal comps. But I'd go for the 4 rack space option where the 500 modules sit vertical so you can get some of the awesome 2 slot comps available in 500 series.

this is what I was thinking. but I guess in a single unit. Of course this will never happen so a single rack unit would do nicely. thanks for chiming in