Your nemesis in MTS

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. I'll bite. Please explain to us all the proper use of a volume knob and the proper way to wire it. I honestly can't wait to hear what you have to say on the subject.

Well I think that an ISP Decimator and a little tweaking solve this issue...I also think you guys are probably all smarter than I am so take that for what it's worth...

Oh yeah, put your delay and reverb behind that Decimator (G Version) and you'll never tell it's there...

suphuckers said:
I think a Decimator would help (I have the same one as you Matt) but there are some things about what it does with my tone that I don't like, so I don't use it that much. My son loves his Decimator (pedal), but I dunno, I just can't use one. Its like that noise gate on this MarUS. It really quiets the sound down, but if you listen closely (as I did for a while) you can really hear it chop off some of the tone. My Volume control on my guitars turns down the gain for about the 1st 6 clicks without really effecting the tone. Once you get down to 4-3, it drops off really quick. I play a lot with the volume on 3, and then crank it up to get more gain on the fly. Just about 1 or 2 clicks off the top, it starts dropping off feedback, but you pretty much can't hear it in the sound/tone. My pups I use are extremely hot, and the wood in the guitars is extremely resonant, so feedback was at one time a huge problem for me. I guess in some ways it still is, but I've learned to compensate and deal. Ive been through this and I think Ive found some great solutions. Which is why I was trying to help but... As far as who's smarter, that's yet to be seen, and really not that important. ;)

Man, I swear my GRack doesn't color tone at all nor cut it off if set right...That is beside the point...

My volume is wired so that it is a gradual gain redux not like yours which intrigues me....How do I do it?

suphuckers said:
Well I suppose I'll ignore those other guys and act like we're all friends and just sharing information ;) It's nothing new really (My tone control setup, now that's new, and pretty awesome. I'm not even sure I'd be willing to post that one LoL) ....but I use a CTS 500K audio taper pot, and I put a 3.3nF cap and an 82K Carbon Comp Resistor across the input and output lugs. Your desired values might differ. Those values work for me and my pup's. All my pups are humbucker's (even the single slot single coil looking pups I use are hum cancelling) They are really high output. You might need different values but the idea would be the same. It works really well. When I get feedback usually all I need to do is crack the volume off the top a little and it usually clears it up. You can't notice any effect whatsoever in the sound except the feedback is gone. If I really have things cranked up then I get into that situation I was talking about where I have it set back to 3 or so... but it's convenient to roll it right back up for a solo. When I was 20 and under I used to rip the volume controls out of my guitars and put in a shut off switch... now it's a big joke between me and some friends. :) So now you know what the fuss was about lmao. If you do it, let me know how it works for you.

Interesting...Thanks...

I didn't notice any real big suck from my Decimator when I 1st got it. One day I was playing and it just sounded like something was missing. I went looking for it. Eventually I determined it was the Decimator. Its not real bad but every time I turn it on I can hear that missing stuff.

This:
http://www.fralinpickups.com/images/phazrev.jpg
This:
http://www.fralinpickups.com/images/blendschem2.jpg
And this:
http://jonesyblues.com/Installation_Tips.html
That was easy

It's good guys here...This stuff happens from time to time...I think you just got off to a shitty start...Maybe start a new thread?

Don't go after one fight...A lot of us would be gone if that was the case...

This ... :roll: ... starts many....Usually unintended and usually starts frustrations...

So with that I say 8)