XTC and Deluxe mods

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
Hello All... Yes I have passed thru my marshall phase and once again Mr Figg's MTS Tractor Beam has pulled me back into the stuff.... Ive got a deluxe and an XTC (both Stock) andi was wondering if there are any "warmth" mods for the deluxe and some type of tightness mod for the XTC, I am not real good at electronics but i can change Caps and Resistors and solder and such, the biggest mod ive done was clipping off the C1 on an SL+ for brighter tone...
Any Help would be greatly appreciated!
-Matt Page-

Welcome back Matt! Those mods are documented here http://www.grailtone.com/guitar-tone-articles/randall-modules-modifications.html
I did the XTC mod and put in .001u for C3. It did tighten it up and sounded great. I never tried the clean mods.
Have fun!

zepplin490 said:
the biggest mod ive done was clipping off the C1 on an SL+ for brighter tone...

"controlled destruction"?

...Sounds like something I can handle?
So, it's just removing C1 and you'll have more highs?
or are there negatives attached, like a useless brightswitch or treblepot?

Well I found it to be completely fucntional as far as the EQ and Bright Switch go, Brought the module to where it should be.... Just clip the C1 between the tubes... easy as F*ck and bring the Dark *** module to life...
-Matt Page-

Well done man!

The beauty of MTS, we (those with soldering ability - re. Not me) can do the simpler fixes Which Randall screwed up, or go to one of our amazing custom mod guys, and while the community misses those who don't have time, we have the influx (hopefully) of new ideas (yo Figg...).

It's an ultimate (for me at least) GAS causing scenario. I love being able to swap preamps and select EL34 and 6L6 power sections, and have a relatively compact set up.

zepplin490 said:
Well I found it to be completely fucntional as far as the EQ and Bright Switch go, Brought the module to where it should be.... Just clip the C1 between the tubes... easy as F*ck and bring the Dark *** module to life...
-Matt Page-

AFAICT the C1 is located at the gain pot, no C1 between the tubes

I have a Voodoo UG Jose, which has had the C1 Removed just as i did to my old SL+, its actually a newer SL+ donor that the module was built on...
-Matt Page-

zepplin490 said:
There is a C1 in between the tube's on the riser board... I can point it out if you like
-Matt Page-

Found it, will see what the results are after I get my rig fully hooked up to my patchbay, thanks