Most catchy demo

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
What do you guys dig in a vid or audio demo?

I can't stop listening to the Salvation Camerock Black Snake recording as I find it to be my fave audio for a product ever...I think my fave video is for the Salvo Terrier with that dude just jamming and Tony tweaking...

For non-MTS stuff, I love Ola's stuff...I don't even listen to that style of music but his demos captivate me...

That is all...

Yeah, those two savlation videos are great, also love the jam- through Benzin, very nice!
I like the style of Ola's videos, but i can't trust them. They're so polished, you'll never have any of those amps sound like that in person.

I really enjoyed the Tour de Buddy video/demo, I think it only showed the mod? It's on the Salvation MTS mods section of the site, and the lowered gain section of the video alone convinced me I wanted to have a separate clean channel as I typically want more pre breakup headroom and liked the tone but not the lowest gain still breaking up (hope that makes sense.) I really dig the Buddy!

Oh and the demo Mike P made for the Stonerverb featured on the Salvation MTS mods section of their site - it got me really wanting one, well composed, played and recorded. I wound up getting the stars version after seeing Jeff S's original version on Facebook.)

Frankly I miss the fun and informative Figg videos!

Since you asked... Lol...

As related in a past post on the matter, I guess it depends on the aim of the demo. If your looking for 'catchy', I'd definitely stick to your older demo vids, more specifically, this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBrKiQISBqI

I loved all your vids when I was first getting into MTS - they were very effective in drawing me in at-least!

And, as far as functionally useful demos, I'd make the following recommendations:

1) Not so much 'noodling' - a perpetual solo/lead line gets old really fast, and does little to demo the versatility of a product. Clearly, you want to demo lead tones, but be sure to include at-least half rhythm. Basic power chord stuff, full open chords to demo articulation/note separation, some drop tuned riffs, chugs, etc. Even the best of lead players still only get a few precious seconds of solo time in most songs (if any at all...), so I'd devote the time to it accordingly.

2) Use different guitars. Personally, if you can demo a product using a strat-type guitar (preferably an actual strat w/SC PU's), and a Les-Paul type guitar (again, preferably an actual LP), it really helps to demo the sounds most folks can expect, as most have one of these two, or a variant. One can make mental 'adjustments' to get the feel for what their guitars would sound like with the product, if they do not have a strat or LP.

3) Use guitars (and other gear not specifically demo'ed) that are widely known. For instance, I believe you used Waterstone (or similar name?) guitars on a bunch of past demos. I for one, have no idea at all what a waterstone guitar sounds like - I can only speculate based on it's looks. So, as above, I'd really stick with the mainstream heavy hitters - Strats, LP's, Tele's, maybe a 335 here and there - as the sounds coming out of them are predictable and familiar, and gives the viewer a better idea of what the mods would sound like minus coloration by a strange guitar (even if is a great one).

4) Demo all functionality of the mods - all modes, switches, sweeps, through various EQ settings, etc. i.e. Johnny Wadd's MarkUs video shows only the clean side, and I have yet to see a comprehensive demo of the drive side of a MarkUs which is what 90% of folks will be interested in most.

5) Include all gear used in the description: Mod(s), amps, tube types, guitar(s) used, including pickup mfg and model, cabinets, speakers, mic's, processing/production gear, pedals, interface, DAW, etc... A-lot of YouTube demo-ers do this, and it's very helpful. And, as a bonus, you can draw a-lot of traffic from non-MTSers, as they are perusing for demos of any of that gear (tubes, guitars, especially pickups, pedals, etc.). Great way to bring outsiders into the fold.

Here are a couple examples of folks who I think do great demos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1iNAtEmeSo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMT6TYkUgSY

Just my 50 cents, lol. Hope it helps...

Matt,

Your JF videos got me to buy a few of those mods. Can't seem to find those on your YouTube anymore(?)

iekobrid said:
For my money, the benchmark for product demos is Prymaxe Vintage vids like these:

http://youtu.be/Kk5pz4JVg7o

http://youtu.be/LT9L5mJecRI

A variety of tones, instruments, styles and settings, often demonstrating how layers are built up in a recorded track. Sometimes I pull up their (his?) playlist and just let it run for recreational listening. :)

I think Corium_AZ has some really good points in his post. I defenitely like to hear the versatility of module in a demo. It seems to me that a lot of demos (official and unofficial) tends to solely focus on gainier settings and leave out the low gain stuff which I really think is a shame.

mr.air said:
I think Corium_AZ has some really good points in his post. I defenitely like to hear the versatility of module in a demo. It seems to me that a lot of demos (official and unofficial) tends to solely focus on gainier settings and leave out the low gain stuff which I really think is a shame.

I am finding that doing a good demo that hits all those points is a lot more difficult than I thought. There is also the matter of putting your ego aside and make the focus on the gear you are demoing and not how well you play. I've been working on a module demo and wrote a short song to showcase the sounds. The song really fits the module but is not something that is easy for me to play to. I'm having a bit of trouble getting it finished. :?