Which tubes for mods

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktno78

Reaction score
As a newbie in the MTS and back from the dark side of emulation, i have an ask for the experience of the members

Which tubes do you put in each mods you've got and why you choose this one

I think it will be great that Rob and Anton put a page on their website with a recommend tubes for each incredible mods they made.

Please don't answer that it depends of the year and the bias, we all know it but it would be a good help for everybody i think to increase these information.

I put all your answer in a doc and refresh it with each answer.

I begin with an Anton one

SV Stonerverb JJ ECC83

There is absolutely no correct answer to this question. Tube are a very personal choice and no two players are the same. Beyond that, tubes are not a consistent commodity. So any given players opinion of a tube could be the result of having received a poorly performing tube and they were unaware of it. You average player doesn't have a collection of quality testers either.

I work with 300-400 players a year in my shop. I use around 2000 preamp tubes and 500 power tubes annually. The stuff I stock is typically what's most reliable and least problematic on a consistent basis with the best tone and gain. Most of my customers tend to put aside their preferences and trust my judgement based on their playing and the amp in question. This obviously comes from experience and seeing a huge volume of tubes.

That said, this old post is about the only advice I can give you based on my familiarity with you and your style: http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=19525

Hope that helps.

I'm agree about that the problem is that sometime you buy mods without tubes and you don't know what to put in.

For the choice of the tube, it's as subjective as the choice of the speaker but there is a global tendency

And people that test tubes change could share their experience here

Thanks for the link

I have a bunch of vintage tubes ( RCA, Sylvania, Amperex) that I mix and match in my modules. But at the end of the day - I like JJ,s. They always work for me. No complaints about Sovtek either. Modern tubes for modern circuits?

Ruby Tubes high gain are always my go to for the high gain mods. For all the others, I'm always experimenting.

On the doug's tubes, they say that JJ and ruby are the same
"The Ruby 12AX7ACZ High Grade is a re-labeled JJ ECC83" and "Also known as the Groove Tubes ECC83-S and Ruby 12AX7ACZ HG" for the Ruby 12AX7ACZ HG and the JJ ECC83S

And for clean module like JF superclean or JF Texasspecial (more warm), which kind of tubes are you using/recommend