JF XTC vs real xtc 101

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapo_Polenton

Reaction score
I know this module gets a lot of good reviews and my understanding is that the bogners also use EL34's so the RM100's are probably a suitable platform to make the tone happen. My question is, how close is the blue and the structure switches to the real deal? I'm less interested in the higher gain channel and the bogner pedals seem to be more fizzy than anything.

That's a good question. Not to steer off topic, but I'd like to see a Duende module over an xtc

Without ever being present for a direct A/B I can tell you my artist Nick uses an real XTC 101 as his main live amp. I multiple occasions when he has been by the shop he loves to play my modular version and swears I nailed it. Take it FWIW, but Nick has a great ear for tone and has many years gigging his actual Bogner.

I find all the switches very useful in getting anything from clean to high gain. No fizz here.

Can't say how it compares to a real XTC but this was one of my first and still one of my favorites.

I guess using EL34 in the power section of your amp would get u closer vs using 6L6s, 6v6, etc since The XTC is all EL34 (at least most of them)

FWIW, the 20th Anniversary XTC was designed with 6L6s in mind. Here's a quote about the 20th XTCA from Jorg at Bogner that I happened across on another gear forum:

"The amp was designed with the 6L6 compliments the circuit better, the sozo and dijon caps have more girth and midrange, EL34 will pronounce that more. Some people just need to have EL34's no matter what, I had both, people converting liking it better and others converting back, guess personal taste, we prefer the 6L6's."

Like so many things, the bottom line would seem to be personal taste. And you can't really know how you'll like something till you try it yourself. Nothing beats an A/B comparison! If you've got a power section that lets you swap tubes, well, that's all you have to do to answer your question!

I personally think the JF XTC is almost better than the real XTC not to mention the added versatility of having other MTS amp options etc to help change tone

I find the JF XTC to be a bit "chewier" than an actual Ecstasy. To me the Ecstasy is a bit more articulate. Just my two cents.