Favorite Speaker for MTS?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I use a Mesa Boogie 4x12 traditional cabinet downloaded 2-V30 + 2-G12K85. Just an amazing combination of both for clean and for drive sounds.

I am very satisfied!

Hard to beat my pair of original Mesa Thiele Cab 1 X 12s with Electro Voice EVM12Ls. rated at 200 watts each. I bought these new in 1990

Put my wgs classic lead 80 in my combo for the first time and it might be the best so far. Very clear non coloring speaker.

Anyone got any clips I'd really like to see how different cabs sound with certain modules. I myself am looking at buying a 2x12 specifically a vintage avatar cab with v30's. Anyone had a similar setup

I use Avatar 2x12 cabs with my RM100
One loaded with Celestion V30's and the
Other with 70's Altec 417 8-H's. A great
Combo for multiple styles. For my rack system
I use Mesa Boogie Kirk Hammett cabs with
V30's along with the 2x12's great tone and
Very versatile.

Check out the line of WGS. They are super helpful when it comes to picking out speakers. Their product is amazing and they are reasonably priced compared to other brands.

Has anyone tried the Line 6 Celestion G12H-90's? They were mainly used with the DT series. I've been offered them for a decent price and considering they're custom designed for use with a modelling amp (ie a wide variety of tones), how they would pair up with my RM's....

I'm a huge fan of mixing an Eminence Tonker with a Swamp Thang. All my cabs have both. Huge sound.

I have two 2 x 12 cabs. One Avatar with V30 & G12H, and one cheap Studio 7 with Reeves Vintage Purple (cast frame WGS) and one Creamback 65.

The Avatar is supposed to let the V30 shine with it's clarity and middy cut while the G12H backs it up with the Syrupy "Greenback" type sound. The mix is nice yet very vintage, great for Marshall and Fender sounds, also early metal.

The Studio 7 cab is an attempt to improve the concept of the Avatar. The Reeves is bright and punchy, very 3D sounding. The Creamback fills in with all the warmth and lower harmonics. again, very vintage but huge and full sounding.

In my opinion none of these speakers shine alone. I prefer the Studio 7 cab but I sort of wish I had the Creamback 75 instead, it would be a little brighter overall and a perfect mix

nice. is there any midrange buzz in a raw distortion sound, as in a vintage type distortion? the type of buzz that Celestion tends to deliver that make mic'ing a real pain........?

withmittens said:
nice. is there any midrange buzz in a raw distortion sound, as in a vintage type distortion? the type of buzz that Celestion tends to deliver that make mic'ing a real pain........?

These are my first speakers from WGS and I gotta say that they sound superior to Celestions, minus the buzz...Just pure tone...Might become my fave very quick...I am really liking this quad...Even at low volume they sound great...At high volume they open up beautifully...

Mattfig said:
Well, got the WGS British Leads (Classic Leads) and they are awesome...About as well-rounded of a tone as I have heard with MTS...Highly recommended!

Interesting info. :idea:

The website samples are very similar to the Classic Lead 80, which is the speaker I've recorded for the past 10 years but their version is less expensive.

Are you using 16 or 8 ohm version? I'm an 8 ohm guy. Thanks! :D

Mattfig said:
Well, got the WGS British Leads (Classic Leads) and they are awesome...About as well-rounded of a tone as I have heard with MTS...Highly recommended!

I was dying for a lead 80 type speaker for a 1x12 and was going back and forth for a while about which to get between the WGS and the Celestion CL80. Heard alot (on forums for what it's worth) about the WGS being EQ'd a bit different and the CL being a bit more well rounded and open sounding. Your review vids are usually pretty honest, any chance you have one of each to put in the same cab and get a sample of each to compare?

BTW - I went with a Egnater Elite 80 I found locally and never even got a 1x12 cab to put it in.. Still sitting in the closet with all it's orphan sibling speakers waiting for the right night of drunken cab building.. lol

Latest posts