Should I sell or buy?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doornat

Reaction score
So I basically got what appears to be the score of the century. An RM100, matching 4x12, footswitch, covers for everything, and 11 Modules for 700 bucks. Total. After playing through every module with every guitar and every cabinet I own, I've narrowed it down to the ones I like.

The ones I own:
Plexi
Blackface
Recto
Modern
Super V
KH-3
Ultra
UltraXL
XTC
SL+ (Might be modded, it's got Mesa preamp tubes)

Ones I love:
Plexi
UltraXL (I have an EVH and I think it definitely nails it)
SL+
XTC

Ones I hate:
Recto
KH-3 (Sounds very vintage Metallica, but I know I'll never use it)

Average:
Blackface
Super V
Ultra
Modern

So basically I don't know if I should sell some and buy new modules outright, or just get some of the ones I have modded into other stuff.

Any tips for a newbie?

If you're not obsessed like most of us, you will be happy with 3 or 4 modded modules. The modded stuff is much more versatile and each module can easily replace 2 or 3 stock modules. A good Marshall mod (JF 59RR or Salvo Mash-allll+), a good high gain (probably JF Xtc or Salvo Xtacy as you don't seem to like modern recto and boogie style tones), and a good versatile clean (perhaps JF Twox for both fender and Vox or Texas Special or Voxless or Salvo voxyface or matchvox) will probably do it. Keep in mind that a mod alone will cost twice what you get for each module you sell if you use a donor. Use less attractive stockers as donors: for example the super V and the 1086 are popular stockers and sell better then say the Ultra or Blackface. Do a little research.

sounds like you bought my rig. If you Bought it from Mcknight in Chandler then I was the seller. The SL+ and Recto have the cap mod. I put the Original JJ Tubes in and Biased them on the hotter side. I played with different tubes for the modules so that is why you'll find different pre amp tubes in there. The Ruby's were my fave....

Mark38anthony said:
sounds like you bought my rig. If you Bought it from Mcknight in Chandler then I was the seller. The SL+ and Recto have the cap mod. I put the Original JJ Tubes in and Biased them on the hotter side. I played with different tubes for the modules so that is why you'll find different pre amp tubes in there. The Ruby's were my fave....

Yeah that was me, I work there part time so I had first crack at it. Definitely enjoying it a lot.

What did the Recto sound like before you put the orange drops in? Because I thought it sounded worse than bad, it may have been because I was A/B-Ing every module against my DSL100 and EVH, but I just hated it.

well the Recto had way too much Low end. Using the word "boomy" ...

After the Cap mod, It had better mids and Highs... Opened it up more but had less Gain than desired.

Hey doornat,

it really depends on wht you're looking for and what style of music you play. mfgobbi gave you excellent suggestions. To the 59RR and Mash-all I would like to add the JF Grailtone for Marshall sounds. It covers a lot of ground that the 59RR does, but has more left in the tank if you like great modded Marshall tone and VH1/VH2 Van Halen tones, where the Mash-all and 59RR are more premium stock Marshall tones, in my opinion.

The Twox is ridiculous cool, as is the Texas Special, but I personally have never heard the Salvos he mentioned for comparison

If you like higher gain stuff, the Mamba SE, Snakebite and Ubersonic are a blast and my favorite mid gain with tons of character module is the JF RVerb

Give us more insight and we can steer you in the right direction. Between the guys here you can reach a good consensus opinion if you offer a little more info :)

Good Luck

Welcome to MTS!

H

Thanks all for the awesome opinions! After playing my modules and friends amps, I think I do lean towards the Marshall side of things more. Open and chunky, rather than tight and saturated.

My favorite guys for tone are Jon Schaffer of Iced Earth, and Mark Tremonti. But when I play amps like they use, I find myself not liking them in person.

I run on the mids and treble side of things with very little bass. Drop C usually. My main axes are a Les Paul Studio with PRS SC245 pickups, and a PRS 22 Custom. I don't solo a whole lot so my lead tone isn't too important to me.

My main problem is that I have no problem finding a tone I absolutely love with the few modules I like. Blackface for cleans, SL+ and XTC for rhythms, and Plexi for slightly broken up chords. Should I try more modules or is that fixing what ain't already broke?

Dip those toes in the modding pool and try Rob at Jaded Faith. He'll be happy to chat about what you want, and either do a base mod (upgrading components to improve what you have, or get a few turned into,something better.)

You might sell some for mod money as well.

I have mods from 4 of the modification guys, and think,they're heads and shoulders above the stockers I used.

Oregon said:
Dip those toes in the modding pool and try Rob at Jaded Faith. He'll be happy to chat about what you want, and either do a base mod (upgrading components to improve what you have, or get a few turned into,something better.)

You might sell some for mod money as well.

I have mods from 4 of the modification guys, and think,they're heads and shoulders above the stockers I used.

+10 here. There really is no comparison btwn the stockers & modded modules. Just grab one or two from the classifieds here, or send in a couple donors to Rob or Anthony, and try em out. You won't be disappointed, I assure you!

I'm definitely a Salvation Mods fanboy. Anthony does great work. Send in some of the ones you don't like and get them modded. There are so many great modules he makes, and for the most part it doesn't matter which one you send in vs which one you want to get.

The Stonerverb DeLarge is one of the best and most versatile in my opinion. Huge tone range.