Solid state modules?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whytejacks

Reaction score
Hi everybody :)

Im sure that this has been thrown out there before but has anyone ever wanted to try a solid state pre amp module to emulate a Musicman or Peavey or maybe a roland JC120??

Maybe even build in some analogue FX, phaser, comp, chorus?

This has been a topic brought up throughout the years several times and a handful of custom jobs have chased various solid state amp tones. Regardless of the topography used to amplify the signal, the same two things are being done: the signal is being amplified and shaped between a few gain stages and an EQ is sculpting it. That said, there won't be any transistor based modules or a need for them.

The Super Clean will provide JC120-like tones and has performed favorably next to the real deal in my shop. I'm actually working on a Music Man repair right now and there is nothing particularly cool about it's preamp design to be honest. Same thing for Peavey solid state (which I repair often as well). Remember an amps sound is a combination of the preamp, power amp and the speaker/enclosure. The speaker and enclosure have a huge part in sculpting the sounds of any amp.

As for effects in your module, I actually tinkered with it for a while and have some prototypes on a shelf here. It's not going to see the light of day because of practicality and cost.

Thanks Rob,

Some of my favourite guitarists have used solid state pre amp musicman (paul barrere - littlefeat, mark knophler) or peavey - skynyrd amps.... Was just a thought.....my musicman RP65 sounds totally unique and I love the built in phaser hence asking about FX.