What's are your favorite Modules?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a very similar philosophy as stated above and I didn't want to get lost in the sea of modules while trying to construct a "Dream Team". But those that have been here for awhile, even if some of us only keep 3-4 at any given time, have been through dozens. I know I have. I try to keep a solid amp in clean, mid, and high gain modules. I'm constantly flipping through the latter two, but this would be my top 3 as of right now.

JF Vybe Deluxe It has survived the longest, and I don't see it going anywhere soon. It's the perfect clean to low grit tone.
JF Voxless I miss this one, there is some really good stuff going on in this one.
JF RVerb I love the Orange tone, and this one delivers. It's unique enough to avoid much overlap with anything else I've had.

Honorable Mention: Salvation Markus Very cool mod with lots of mojo.

ricky said:
I mean, I guess part of the point of the MTS is so you CAN have Modules laying around to swap. I just want to keep it to a reasonable minimum. ;)

I think keeping 25+ modules around is reasonable.[/quote]

25+ is complete madness...does a quick count...erm! :oops:

That said, I'm glad that I can have a COD and an Angel and a Mark in one amp...the compromise on power tubes doesn't even bother me so long as I have my Gold Lion KT-88s in there :)

suphuckers said:
Corium_AZ said:
Welcome to the sickness, lol!

The thing is... I'm 100% sure that if I could walk in a room with all these modules lined up for me to test, I could find the ones I want pretty easily. I usually know what I like in just a few minutes. There's nothing worse than buying a module, and then when it gets here, playing it and thinking... meh its OK ...and then it's... OK so now what do I try? I really don't want to go down that road.

I mean, I guess part of the point of the MTS is so you CAN have Modules laying around to swap. I just want to keep it to a reasonable minimum. ;)

Well, I think about it this way - The whole advantage of MTS is great, varying tones for low cost and easy portability. So, you can roll through a whole bunch of modules, doing the buy, try, keep-or-sell thing. That's how I do this at least. That can get costly if you buy new from the modders, as you wont be able to sell for the same price - but you wont lose much. So, I personally just wait till something interesting pops up on the Classifieds here or eBay, swipe it up, try it out. If I like it enough that it can replace one of my current mods, I'll keep it and sell the other. If not, I just turn right around and re-sell it. I've not been stuck with a for sale module for more than a week... So, in the end, I lose $9 in shipping. Try that with 'real' amps, lol. You would lose your a$$ rolling through a bunch of amps like you can here, just in shipping alone... In this light, you really just cant lose! Unless of course you are one of those who just piles them up, lol - in which case it's still far less costly than having a pile of real amps.

Actually, that got me thinking... I think one of the major reasons that MTS has kinda died off, or never really took off as maybe it should have, is that in rolling through all of these modules, folks hap upon something that really does it for them. Then they just go buy the real thing, and leave MTS now being satisfied with what they've got. In then end, it just makes for a great tone-hunting system. For instance, I would never have really considered an Orange amp, or Bogner Shiva were it not for trying the R'Verb and JF XTC (I know not a shiva, but Bogner has their own sound). Now that I've tried both, I could easily see just keeping one of those and leaving MTS for good (almost did for both). The only thing that really keeps me in MTS is the cleans. And, as good as the clean channel is on a Shiva, it's still not as good as my Vybe Deluxe (or several other clean mods). I can get pristine, sparkling Fender-y (or otherwise) cleans, with seriously awesome OD options as well. I've not found this in any other amp.

In any case, sorry for the hijack - but I think that's really one of the big reasons for the exodus...

Yeh, That's not really a hijack ;) It's kind of the point of this post.

You really like that Vybe Deluxe that much huh? I was hunting a TwinFace. That has the Deluxe in it too right? Have you or anyone tried and compared the Vybe/TwinFace? Help me out Fella's! :)

I've played some authentic vintage Deluxe's. It's one of my favorite amps. The only trouble is they are way too expensive, and usually needing repair. I def would like to find that tone if it's possible.

I have 3 M4s loaded with dualies.
My current favorite 3 with minimum overlap are:
Loneclean
Shiver
Salvado Deluxe

A second killer 3 module option:
Custom 3+
OD Special
Rverb

I could easily fit the MarkX in one of those threesomes also

1. MarkUS
2. Baseman
3. Stoneverb w/ tight switch

MarkUs kicked the Camerock out of my top 3. Great mod, but I just love the red channel on that thing.

Other honorable mention: SG Fisch

My top 3, must-have modules are:
1. SG Afterlife
2. JF Pitbull
3. JF Damageplan

Honorable mention is the SG Fisch. These 4 mods bring the goods from classic rock to all out war.

suphuckers said:
Yeh, That's not really a hijack ;) It's kind of the point of this post.

You really like that Vybe Deluxe that much huh? I was hunting a TwinFace. That has the Deluxe in it too right? Have you or anyone tried and compared the Vybe/TwinFace? Help me out Fella's! :)

I've played some authentic vintage Deluxe's. It's one of my favorite amps. The only trouble is they are way too expensive, and usually needing repair. I def would like to find that tone if it's possible.

I have not played the Twinface but have wanted one. i did have the Vybe and thought the Deluxe was good but there was too much squish in the sound. It's authentic in that it produces a sort of tube sag, but it does not do it per your playing, it's always kind of there, thus having the mod lack a certain snap and growl that I really like about a Deluxe. The Vybe portion of this mod was very soft and the pushed mode is too smooth as I expect the pushed portion of the Twinface to be, since it is not a Fender circuit, rather a Mesa circuit, the "pushed"

While I wait to get the Supra and Twinface...I find that I can get a very convincing Twinish sound from my Cwatt and of course the Selma..

That said, my 3 are
Selma, CWatt and 50R, as of yet.

I tend to the vintage end of things

I hear there will be a new "Twin" mod coming to the modular world sooner than later.............

Anything from Salvo or SG I've tried has been **** good, especially the Masholdano and the Afterlife or SG XTC. Very overlooked on this forum is Trace at Voodoo (Tsunami) and Jeff Hilligan (Scorch/Snorkler). Cant even try to pick a favorite....

JF VybeDeluxe
Salvation Stonerverb Starz
SG XTC LE

But there are a handful of very different sounding and feeling mods I really enjoy:

Salvation S150
Salvation Buddy
Salvation 1/37
Salvation Mandarin Graphic
JF Voxless
JF SL-OD100
JF Erect
SG FISCH LE
Friedman HBE

I like all the mods I've bought, and have had the ones I don't really like modded (I have two more to have modded.) I picked up a cool Egnater Twin with a push button to change to a plexi eq. It's pretty cool.

I still kinda break my mods down into the four original PCB layouts.
I hold on to my stock Clean for when vanilla is just the right flavor, but the Twinface pretty much lives in that first clean slot, impersonating a Deluxe on the low mojo setting.
I've got a stock SL+ and a modded SL+, a Jaded Faith Top Boost and Voxless, but my favorite british based mod to play remains a stock Mr Scary. Dunno, just nasty in the right spots.
Got a couple recto-board based mods, a stock Grail and a Mark X. Like 'em for their specific tones, but I wouldn't pack 'em for the desert island.
The third spot would probably go to the Jaded Faith XTC. Flexible jack-of-all trades but still a master of one, the liquid lead tone.

trimix said:
I still kinda break my mods down into the four original PCB layouts.
I hold on to my stock Clean for when vanilla is just the right flavor, but the Twinface pretty much lives in that first clean slot, impersonating a Deluxe on the low mojo setting.
I've got a stock SL+ and a modded SL+, a Jaded Faith Top Boost and Voxless, but my favorite british based mod to play remains a stock Mr Scary. Dunno, just nasty in the right spots.
Got a couple recto-board based mods, a stock Grail and a Mark X. Like 'em for their specific tones, but I wouldn't pack 'em for the desert island.
The third spot would probably go to the Jaded Faith XTC. Flexible jack-of-all trades but still a master of one, the liquid lead tone.

Sensible choices, I like it.

Hmic

The twin with plexi eq option was (according to Bruce in a comment posted over a year ago) an experiment.

I think it sounds like a Twin, maybe not quite as much low end wool. I have a twin so this was based on side-by-side. It's good enough for me to decide to sell the amp.

Pushing the eq button brings a different curve. More mids and such. It does impart the flavor of a plexi eq to a twin. Think sweeter plexi cleans.

I've heard a lot of praise here for the JF PLexi Twin. While I haven't played that mod, and can't speak to it's sound, check the demo on the JF site.

The JF is Plexi Tweed. It is the Bassman /JTM 45 circuit. They are the same preamp, with different speakers and different output power transformers which I guess JF tried to capture. When you say Twin I assume you mean the blackface fender twin reverb circuit, right? Twin and Tweed are 2 different worlds...

My favorite modules are those that I still own after several years:

1. The SG MK22+. I've used it on probably 60% of my tracks. It's just flat-out awesome.

2. The original SG Rectifier, which is based on a First 500 1993 Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier. I *think* it's different than the Diablo but Scott would need to verify.

3. A modified SG Bully, which is called the MK19+. It's absolutely amazing for high gain Marshall tones.

4. The JF SuperClean, which I use for all of my "clean" tones. IMO, it sounds like a vintage Twin. Just a beautiful sounding module.

5. The JF Vybe Deluxe, of which no description can truly describe just how awesome this module sounds. It's really a work of art.

6. Salvation Angel (2010). It's a phenomenal sounding Engl amp, although I'm curious to hear the Angel B and Anthony's latest take on the Engl, which to me, is an under rated amp line.

I purchased a new SG Criminal and Breakneck, both of which I received last week, but I haven't had time to check them out just yet. Hopefully I'll be able to start tracking guitars late next week.

suphuckers said:
So I'm sitting here thinking...

1st Off, It's too **** quiet around here. Wake up phuckers!

2nd, If you could only own 3 Modules... what would they be and why?

Keeping in mind that you probably want each of the 3 to do something different.

In the spirit of letting bygones be bygones and moving forward.

Since you're limiting me to three, it's tough, but if I had to load my MOD100 to do different things it would be loaded as follows:

CH 1 & 2 Salvation LoneClean for Mesa Cleans and Crunch:

CH 3 & 4 Jaded Faith 59BJA for modded Marshall Crunch & Lead:

CH 5 & 6 Voodoo Tsunami for unique Crunch & Lead

Love that Tsunami faceplate Drew- And the mod itself too! How did he do the 2nd channel? Did he just add more gain? I have the single channel version and it never leaves my RM100...amazing work by Trace.

rblyn said:
Love that Tsunami faceplate Drew- And the mod itself too! How did he do the 2nd channel? Did he just add more gain? I have the single channel version and it never leaves my RM100...amazing work by Trace.

Thanks, faceplate was done by Scott (SG), approved by Trace (Voodoo). The channels are the same, plenty of gain adjustment to do what I like. I concur, this module is WAY cool and underrated as I don't think there are too many floating around. It's Trace's own take on high gain (not meant to emulate anything in particular) and he nailed it.