Ubersonic or Snakebyte? Please Help Decide

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scary groove

Reaction score
I have decided that I want to branch out from my Marshall tones and try one of these. There are not a whole lot of clips on these. Here's the info I have on the two:

"These two mods are on the most extreme and aggressive end of my line and a world more modern than traditional Marshall tones. The Ubersonic is a one trick pony that does what it does VERY well. Super saturated, brutal and thunderous bottom. It's the thickest chugging tone I make. The Snakebite is more open, but very saturated as well. This has a wider range of gain (the crunch is actually fantastic) and it's all about total precision control of the midrange. Nearly ever single option on it impacts the mids. The palate of colors this one can paint is quite impressive."

I am still undecided. Please help me decide. Thanks in advance.

Really it depends on who you are as a player an what you are looking for

Your assessment of both modules is pretty accurate, but I can add some insight into the each module as I have both.

First of all, I would say buy both! LOL Having them side by side in the same rig really helps with you appreciation for each one on its own merits.

The Snakebite, to me, is a killer Mesa at its absolute best. I know its modeled after a Framus, but, to me, the Framus sounds like a killer Boogie with more gain and mid control. With the Snakebite you have a lot of control over the eq. You can dial in just about any mid flavor you are in the mood for and the variations in highs is just as abundant. On its own, the amount of gain is pretty impressive, but flip the Venom switch and you have enough gain and saturation to satisfy even the demanding of the ganiac crowd. I know, I'm one of them :p

The Ubersonic is a little more scooped, but the mids it has give you that razor sharp cut that I hear an so many CDs by bands that use the 5150s to record with. Modders have tried, but no one really nailed the lead channel with the boost engaged on a 5150 III. There have been some offerings that got close and that did other 5150 tones well, but I have been searching for that particular tone since early in my MTS days. Maybe I always wanted an Uberschall, because this module has those characteristics! The low end is just massive! On a head with above average low end, you have to run the lows much lower than your other modules, but once you tweak it right, the Ubersonic is ferocious!!!

It really all boils down to what you are looking for. Both units are stellar high gain modules. You just have to decide whether you wanna chop the head off of your enemy or destroy his village :p

Personally, I bought both

Hope this helps!

Let us know what you decide

H

I have both, and what Big Daddy is saying is SPOT ON. Couldn't have said it better myself. That said, given the choice, I would pick the Snakebite....but it would be a tough decision.

I was lucky enough to play both mods through the same rig last year at the LA Amp Show. The SnakeBite is very cool, and more versatile. But the Ultrasonic is BONE CRUSHING! Which is why I went with it. :twisted:

I appreciate all the input. I pulled the trigger on a Venom (snakebyte). I will most likely end up checking out an Ubersonic too. There was an opportunity for the venom and I grabbed it. Thanks

I just got both the Ubersonic AND the Snakebite from Job at JF, and I took them to a friends house who has a dozen modules so we could compare all,

Funny story he used to have a Snakebite a few yrs ago but sold it because it sounded close to a few other mods he had, but when he heard my new Snakebite he couldn't believe how good it sounded! He said if his sounded like mine he never would have sold it, so they must be improved as time goes on.

Both my modules sounded amazing on my friends Randall but nowhere near as good when I got them home on my Randall, (same speakers 1960A)
So I figure I need to change a few tubes and bias my power tubes and then wel see how she sounds, and Im going to add the MXR 10 band EQ
I know there is light at the end of the tunnel because I heard how insanely amazing my modules sounded on my friends near identical set up, I just got my Randall MR100 so I havnt had a chance to go over everything,,
but I will! 8)

Exoticwood said:
Funny story he used to have a Snakebite a few yrs ago but sold it because it sounded close to a few other mods he had, but when he heard my new Snakebite he couldn't believe how good it sounded!
but I will! 8)

The JF snakebite has only been around a year or so.......

I was just about to echo Jay's comment. The Snakebite is just over a year old, so he may have it confused for something else. Every Snakebite has been made the same, with the Venom being strictly cosmetically different.

I see more MTS rigs than anyone. Many that sound bad often have a problem. Most who hear the well tuned rig in my shop drop their jaws in comparison to their own rigs. I'm sure it's got something to do with the amp.

a little off topic but has anyone tried Eminence Speakers? I was told by a custom cab maker that Texas Heat and Swampthings are amazing speakers for Metal! has anyone out there tried these?

I have a pair of swampthangs.they have huge magnets and can handle the high volume thump.they reproduce the frequencies perfectly to my taste.they sound great.But, they arent as transparent or as articulate as i like,so I paired them with two celestions and perfecto.

Exoticwood said:
a little off topic but has anyone tried Eminence Speakers? I was told by a custom cab maker that Texas Heat and Swampthings are amazing speakers for Metal! has anyone out there tried these?

I have a Governor and Swamp Thang in my Avatar 2x12 and I really like them. Similar concept to the widely used mix of V30 and G12H30.
The Governor is less honky in the middle though and the Swamp has a really big deep low end.
My 2x12 sounds pretty big for its actual size and its punchy and articulate.

****. Just when my GAS had subsided and I was ok without an Ubersonic, you resurrected this thread! :lol: I went back and read the posts and now I am GASsing for the Ubersonic. My hesitation is that I have a Venom and I have an Afterlife. If I get the Ubersonic, I will surely have to part with one or more of the three. The current market for modules is not good.

I am going to end up pulling the trigger on the Ubersonic. Thank you all for you input. Happy Holidays.