new to the modular amp world.....module recommendations

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcmtone1

Reaction score
Looking for opinions on clean and modern high gain stock modules. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to the fun buddy!

FWIW, you can score used modded mods for cheap right now in the classifieds...

For stockers, I'd say the Clean, KH-1, or Blackface...And SL+ and Ultra are good high gainers...

Indeed Welcome. I just started out a few months ago with MTS and so far it has worked out great. Should have done this years ago.

I would recommend the XTC and Deluxe.

I hated the Clean, no sparkle, no natural compression and completly farts out when push with a pedal. The Blackface has great sparkle, sounds great pushed, but lacks natural compression. The deluxe has great sparkle too, but addionally has this great natural compression that make playing just so much easier. Doesnt sound good push thg...Reminds me of the clean channel of a TSL. The deluxe has my vote for clean tones. Cheap too.

For high gain I just received my stock XTC module and I love it. It has about as much gain as the SL+ and Treadplate/Recto's. But it has great tone, and response great to the tone controll dials.
The Sl+ is more on the marshall side were as the XTC is more in the middle of Marshall-Recto. The Sl+ is also a bit nasal which I cann't dial out and lacks some smoothness and authority. Still a great module thg.
The treadplate (recto) is great too. Supprisingly (to me) it has a great clean tone when the gain dial is all the way down. It's a bit bass heavy and lacks string attack, but sound absolutly great when pushed with a TS9.
The XTC is just great right out of the box. Can be easely modded to modern Bogner XTC specs. Can do scooped metal AND smooth solo's. The XTC has my vote for high gain tone.

Keep us posted and tell us what you ended up with...goodluck!

8) 8)

Thanks for the recommendations. So far I have the XTC module and I like it. Looking for a great clean, leaning towards the black face module. Having a hard time finding one though. Which mods would you recommend? I'm intrigued by the Camerock module. I owned a CCV for a few years and I am interested to see how close it is to an actual CCV. The modular amp world seems pretty cool so far.....lots and lots of options

I honestly wouldn't waste the time or $ on stock modules. With very few exceptions, they are leagues behind the modded modules in every aspect. Well worth the extra $.

As far as recommendations:

High Gain - TONS of great options here, just depends on what flavor you prefer. I'd say consider the following:

JF Erect/Blackout
JF/Salvation/SG XTC. They're all great.
JF R'Verb
JF Venom, SLOD100, Ubersonic
Salvation Stonerverb or 50R
Salvation MarkUs (lots of love for these here)
Salvo Angel E, Mr Boga, Buddy, Mash-All, Mash-oldano, Salvado, Camerock
SG Afterlife, Criminal, or Breakneck

Ok and then there all the 5150 and Diezel mods... Just too many to list really.

Clean:

JF Vybe Deluxe (one of the most loved mods here)
JF SuperClean, TX Special, or TWox
Salvo Twinface, Baseman
SG SG/CC30

And then there are the Hiwatt mods, etc. Again, lots of choices.

Just need to pull the trigger on a couple mods, try em out. If you like, keep. If not, re-sell... That really is the beauty of the mts system.

Welcome, btw!

If you are o a limited budget, shoot for the Lynch stock modules:

Brahma - Plexi tone
Mr Scary - hair metal tastic
Grail - more modern tones available here

The stock clean module is horrible. Dont bother. JF base mod does wonders with it for 100 bucks though.

Addendum:

The Blackface has more sparkle than the Deluxe. I still think I prefer the Deluxe thg for its clean natural compression.

I had the blackface and had it modded and re-modded. My most current blackface mod was done by Rob at JF. I really did not like any of the stockers. For a different kind of clean, I love Rob's SuperClean. I also have a modded Deluxe and Tweed that are totally cool as I am a Fender clean freak. The VybeDeluxe nails two different tones.....or actually three.

I picked up a kh1 which has great clean tones and an Ultra XL module which sounds great. The Bass knob on the ultra XL works in reverse. Anyone else have this issue or could it be a bad pot? Other than that issue, The module works and sounds great.

It's the benjamin button mod....lol

The SL+ is a good stocker. It was my first module. Pretty authentic marshall sounds.

Replaced the bass potentiometer on the Ultra XL and it fixed the issue. It's a great sounding module. Great for heavy riffing.