GSP1101

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suphuckers

Reaction score
Under a Tree Near the Stage Coach Inn Museum
Does anyone know if you can hook up the GSP1101 w/ 4CM to an RM100 AND also hook up an RM4 in the loop as a 2ND (actually in this case a 3rd) preamp? At the same time.

The manual shows hooking it up to an external preamp and then out to a power amp. It also shows using the 4CM to hook it up to a head. It says these are the "most common 7 ways" to hook it up, but I can't find any info that can show me ALL the ways you can hook it up.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Yes, if you have the final firmware version C63 installed you can program the GSP1101 loop to select between two different preamps.

Plug your guitar into the GSP1101 guitar input, then use a splitter cable (one mono plug split into two mono cables) to feed the GSP1101 loop send to both the RM100 input and RM4 input.

Plug the RM100 serial send into the GSP1101 left return and the RM4 pre output into the GSP1101 right return.

On the GSP1101, under "Loop Control", select "Loop Return > Left" to use the RM100 preamp, "Loop Return > Right" to use the RM4 preamp, or just disable the loop to use the GSP1101's preamp models.

Plug the GSP1101's output into the RM100's serial return.

Hmm, Thanks trimix!

I don't have the GSP1101 yet so I can't test it, but I think I'm following that.

It should be here tomorrow. (Hopefully) I'll have to check the firmware. I'm guessing if it's not C63 I should be able to update it right?

I was hoping I could hook it up that way.

I'll find this out tomorrow, but... Can you turn the loops on and off on the fly with the midi controller, or do you have to do it from the display menu?

suphuckers said:
Hmm, Thanks trimix!

I don't have the GSP1101 yet so I can't test it, but I think I'm following that.

It should be here tomorrow. (Hopefully) I'll have to check the firmware. I'm guessing if it's not C63 I should be able to update it right?

I was hoping I could hook it up that way.

I'll find this out tomorrow, but... Can you turn the loops on and off on the fly with the midi controller, or do you have to do it from the display menu?

Ha, I didn't know you could do that, but after seeing trimixes post, yeah makes total sense to me! That's awesome.

If your getting the GSP brand new, it will not have the c63 firmware. It is very easy to update tho. You'll also have to download the compatible XEdit for it. Just google C63 GSP1101, or just follow this:

http://mustbebeta.com/gsp1101/Gsp1101_Users.html

There are download links & a PDF manual for the new firmware. Your antivirus SW may alarm for the site, but it is perfectly fine...

And, to answer your other question, you would just set each preamp (L or R) on a program change patch. So no need to switch them directly. You'd need the program change/patch to choose your module anyhow. Hell, if you choose L & R on a patch I suppose you could mix two modules at a time!

Sounds like an interesting setup. Let us know how it works out!

Yeah I got a new one. I already downloaded the files (I think). I was reading about it the other day and I dl them. I wasn't thinking I was going to actually install that firmware, but if it'll let me do this then I'm sure I will be doing it.

I actually don't have an RM4 yet either. I was actually asking the question because I wanted to know ahead of time (before I offered to buy that one metalsoup is selling) if I could hook it up that way. I decided to buy it anyways. Its good to hear it'll work this way though. metalsoup hasn't answered me back yet though.

suphuckers said:
Yeah I got a new one. I already downloaded the files (I think). I was reading about it the other day and I dl them. I wasn't thinking I was going to actually install that firmware, but if it'll let me do this then I'm sure I will be doing it.

I actually don't have an RM4 yet either. I was actually asking the question because I wanted to know ahead of time (before I offered to buy that one metalsoup is selling) if I could hook it up that way. I decided to buy it anyways. Its good to hear it'll work this way though. metalsoup hasn't answered me back yet though.

Oh, you'd definitely want that new firmware regardless - it adds a ton of functionality to the unit... I prolly would not have kept it were it not for the functions it adds.

Hmm well we'll see. Maybe I'll be surprised. I only bought the GSP1101 because it was on sale. I wanted something that I could make some effects noises with that is midi programmable. My effects that I use aren't midi. The only one that's midi doesn't do program changes. It only responds to control msg's. The rest don't do any midi at all. I can get some awesome sounds out of them but... That midi loop pedal that I have works great, but I have to turn the knobs on my phaser and my reverb and etc to get dif sounds. I'm spoiled by parallel effects, so it's going to be a hard sell on this GSP1101. For the most part parallel effects blow doors on series effects (If you set them up right) It'll be kewl having 7 modules at my feet tho. Considering until now I've only had 2 or 3 depending. I've got my eye on a few midi effects pedals, but that's going to be a minimum $1300 investment. Eventually Ill probably go that way, but I was just hoping the GSP1101 would help me to control myself for a bit on that purchase LoL.

Well, no matter how you look at it, the GSP is a good investment for you. Even if all you use it for is switching between the RM4 & RM100, and getting 7 mods out of the deal. I mean all the switching gear you'd need to make that happen would prolly cost more than a new GSP. Plus, you can use some FX here & there if you like them. I for one really like the FX, but only really use verb, delay, chorus & flanger. And even then only on my high gain mods as I prefer fx to be front of amp whenever possible, and I like the FX in my tonelab better than the GSP...

Yup for the price is was stupid not to buy it... and that's why i did ;)

Once you figure out how to run a delay, a reverb, a phaser, and a dry signal, all together at the same time (completely independent of each other) out of one amp.... you'll rethink what you think about effects and effect placement tho.

I run very few effects in front of the amp. A boost, a compressor, a wah, a volume pedal... I have an octave pedal that I use in front of the amp sometimes. That's about it tho.

I got all this from Bruce Egnater's paper on effects. It took me a minute to understand exactly what he was trying to say. Once I really understood it, and employed it, it really had a drastic effect on how I set up my rig.

No matter what I'm doing/playing, there's "almost" always a dry straight through signal in my mix. 100% nothing but guitar and tube's. The effects are more like adding a track. Each effect has it's own track. When I play it's more like a 4track recording then it is like a live mix.

As far as I'm concerned, doing it any other way destroys the tone.

This GSP1101 is hopefully going to be fun to play with, but in the end... I'm gonna have to buy those $1300 of pedals to be happy.

suphuckers said:
Can you turn the loops on and off on the fly with the midi controller, or do you have to do it from the display menu?

You can do it on the fly with the midi controller. I also suggest checking out the IR loader in C63. It's not the best one but still helps with low volume playing, instant recording, xlr out in shitty venues etc. If you have an iPad try connecting it via the camera kit, it works as both audio and midi interface.

It came today, but... I spent 3 hrs trying to make a custom faceplate for one of my modules (I did it but next time I'll just order one. Screw all that work LoL). 2 hrs learning how to use my new Hickok tube tester (which I still think I prefer my EICO tester over it). ...and 20 minutes arguing with the crazy woman (They're all crazy btw). I cleared out the rack space I needed for it, but it's still in the box. Tomorrow is another day :)

Well, ...and I haven't updated to C63 yet, but it's a really interesting piece of gear. It doesn't hold a candle to my normal way of hooking up effects but certainly it's going to stay in the rack a bit. I'm guessing with the updated firmware it'll be even better. I won't have the RM4 until next week. I'm sure I'll be updating. I wanted to check out the existing firmware, just to get a reference point when I update.

So I've had a day or two to check it out.

I finally updated to the C63 earlier today. You're right Corium_AZ I should have updated that thing as soon as it hit the door.

I'm not 100% convinced that it's not messing with my tone tho. It's def going to need some tweaking (and I've already done a lot).

I'm not really that impressed with the effects and etc in it either but...

Half of my original reason for wanting to get it was to have a decent midi adjustable reverb. My (non-midi) verb's that I already had blow that thing to dust unfortunately. I had a lot of hope for the Plate verb in it. I prefer Plate. It was kind of a let down. It sounds OK but...

The RM4 is supposed to hit the door on Friday. Then I guess I'll see how the switching goes.

So probably just talking to myself, but in case anyone was following. The RM4 got here today, and after some massive cable routing all over the room, I got it all hooked up. I even managed to hook up all of my parallel loops for use with the RM4 as well as the RM100. Everything works great! BUT... I'm pretty sure the GSP1101 is screwing with the overall tone. I think I could probably get some good tones out of it, but it would take a lot of time and effort to tweak it just right. There are A LOT of settings between the Modules, the GSP1101, the effects and etc etc to go through. This setup has made everything massively complicated. It would be a huge undertaking to get it all "just right". There are a lot of setting on the GSP1101 that seem to be effecting the tone even when they are turned OFF (Lame). Not sure how I feel about it. Bottom line (as it relates to the OT) This setup WILL work.

Edit: Which is... Guitar>GSP1101FrontInput>SendGSP1101>Split to RM4/RM100 Front Inputs>Series Out On Each>R/L Effects Return on GSP1101>LineOutGSP1101>EQ>BBE>SeriesReturnToRM100Power>Speakers. I have my Parallel Loops patched into the Parallel Loop on the RM100.

Thanks yeah it was -Zer0 effort (as per usual for me LoL) but I was very surprised at the tone in the recording with the GSP1101. I think I was using an EM12 Legend speaker impulse. I was also playing through 2 modules at once. Pretty crazy **** LoL

So here's the final verdict. For what I paid for this thing it's pretty **** awesome. It might be messing with the tone slightly, but it's not so bad that it's unusable. Most of it could probably be tweaked out. The effects are "OK", and I suppose I could use some of them. I own a Supernatural which is also Digitech, and I hoped that the 1101 would have a lot of the same Verb's in it. It's not nearly as good as the Supernatural. It does have some similar stuff in it though. I also used to use a Digitech ISP-33 once upon a time, I still own it, and I was excited to read that the 1101 had that effect built in. The 1101 only does single harmonies (the original did dual), and it's OK, but it's a shadow of the original effect. The Gate isn't too bad, it's usable. Some of the delays are OK etc. They are good effects, they are just pretty plain and bland. That would be a good way to describe them. I guess "It's aight" HaHa Awesome for the price, mediocre without considering the price. I'll probably still use it, but the effects aren't going to cut it for a lot of stuff for me.