Freyette Powerstation w/ M4 vs RM50 vs Smallbox loop

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lintycreep

Reaction score
Hey guys a threw something together real quick tonite to pit a few of my rigs against each other. I thought you guys might find it interesting. This is one of my first recording, so don't be expecting perfect tones. They were also recorded at bedroom volumes. And just to be fair to all configurations, I made an equal amount of F***ups in my playing on all of the clips. :lol:

The recording was done using a SM57 through a Marshall 4x12 w/ G12C Greenbacks. 2007 Les Paul Standard and a MXR 10 band EQ in the loop of all the setups. As for the module, I choose one of our favorites, the MarkUS on the red channel.

First up is the Friedman Smallbox with M4 in the loop:

https://soundcloud.com/vancreeping/smallbox-loop-m4

Next up, the 50w Lynchbox head with Salvation MDA Board:

https://soundcloud.com/vancreeping/rmlb50-mda

finally, the Freyette PowerStation with M4 used as the poweramp:

https://soundcloud.com/vancreeping/powerstation-m4

Hope you guys enjoy.

Hey linty,

This is meant as help. So PLEASE effin take it that way! (For gawds sakes!)

It sounds to me like maybe your input is too high. Try turning down the input volume (and probably your Gain knob too) and then cranking up the output volume in your DAW to compensate. You've got an over compressed static kind of thing going on there (been there myself). I'd have to see your entire rig to know exactly whats going on, but... it's something like that.

Wow that bad, huh? :lol: No worries Suphucker. I set it up and recorded it in about 10 min... I was just excited to share my experience with the Power Station. I guess I'll scrap the recordings and start from scratch later on this week.

lintycreep, how are you liking the PowerStation so far? I have always thought MTS needed a good mono power amp to pair with the amps to have your quality effects processors hooked up in stereo as they were intended.

lintycreep said:
Wow that bad, huh? :lol: No worries Suphucker. I set it up and recorded it in about 10 min... I was just excited to share my experience with the Power Station. I guess I'll scrap the recordings and start from scratch later on this week.

Hey linty, it's not "that bad". Sorry... I look forward to the next one ;)

lintycreep, I'm glad you don't seem upset by my comments. I just think if people don't openly say that kind of stuff, how is anyone ever going to improve? Like you could say... suphuckers, you're a real *******! (...and it wouldn't bother me) Well, I already know that. ...but if I didn't know it, how would I ever improve? LoL

I can't really hear the differences between the clips, (that's why I commented) due to I can't get past the stuff I mentioned when I'm listening to them. The gain is set a bit too high. I used to do that all the time (and still do sometimes). When you set that tone up, I bet you just turned the knob to "the usual place" and turned on the mic. If you sit there and gradually listen to the tone when you're turning the gain knob, you can find that sweet spot. At some point all you're adding is noise. That noise isn't as easy to hear live, but man does it show up in recordings. Plus I can hear the speaker flub like it's on the verge of pushing the cone out of itself LoL. Or it could be the mic running for it's life... It could also be my speakers begging to be turned off. Either way its the same result.

I'm not an expert or perfect at this **** either. If/when I post something, I hope people will try to help me make it better.

I really do look forward to the next clips ;)

I think suphuckers is hearing what sounds like digital clipping. Could be. Or could just be the greenbacks, the amps being played at low volumes (get fizzier), or even just the Mark-Us (MarkV has a pretty fuzzy gain, but disappears in band mix, much like an Orange).

In any case, I think they sound fine, certainly for comparison purposes. I think the Lynch Box & Power Station clips sound very similar and certainly better than the first clip. Sharper & more present. And, though they're similar, I prefer the Lynchbox. I am intrigued by that Power Station tho...

Hey linty, it's not "that bad". Sorry... I look forward to the next one

I'm not sure if I like to overly sensitive Suphuckers :lol: It's all good man. I appreciate you input. Thanks!!

lintycreep, how are you liking the PowerStation so far? I have always thought MTS needed a good mono power amp to pair with the amps to have your quality effects processors hooked up in stereo as they were intended.

So far I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it. My clips were suppose to show that the PowerStation is equal to, if not better than the Friedman and sounds way better than the RM50. I think if your looking for an affordable power amp, you can't go wrong. Plus you get a attenuator to boot. I don't have any experience with them to compare, but it seems pretty transparent for the most part. I'll have to mess around with that feature more.

I think suphuckers is hearing what sounds like digital clipping. Could be. Or could just be the greenbacks, the amps being played at low volumes (get fizzier), or even just the Mark-Us (MarkV has a pretty fuzzy gain, but disappears in band mix, much like an Orange).

I think I can do better and shouldn't have done a half *** recording> Suphuckers' right, they all start sounding the same to me after awhile too. I'll update with better clips. Hopefully it won't take me forever.

lintycreep said:
Hey linty, it's not "that bad". Sorry... I look forward to the next one

I'm not sure if I like to overly sensitive Suphuckers :lol: It's all good man. I appreciate you input. Thanks!!

Hey, I've never been out to bash on anyone. I've said 100x that people often get me wrong. ...and they do.

Everyone wants to feel good about themselves. I get it LoL

It truly wasn't "that bad". Sooo I'm not being "sensitive". I'm just being honest ;)

I'm just glad to hear you made some clips and tried...I couldn't quite distinguish one from the other - perhaps the mic was really close to the center?

I'm happy to hear this power amp is as cool as it seems...Looking forward to more linty!!