Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds great Suphuckers! Getting better every time.

Drew - I have a cheap interface like he does (mine is an MAudi I got from best buy for like $100), and use Reaper for the DAW (it's free to use forever, but encouraged to pay for it at some point. It's only $60.. And works as well as any big $ DAW). Grab a used SM57 from GuitarCenter.com, and your in business for about $150. It's super easy to set up & use...

Corium_AZ said:
Sounds great Suphuckers! Getting better every time.

Drew - I have a cheap interface like he does (mine is an MAudi I got from best buy for like $100), and use Reaper for the DAW (it's free to use forever, but encouraged to pay for it at some point. It's only $60.. And works as well as any big $ DAW). Grab a used SM57 from GuitarCenter.com, and your in business for about $150. It's super easy to set up & use...

I have an SM57!

Biggest problem, I threw my XP laptop away a year ago and I'm trying not to invest in another one for home.

Suphuckers... Meat... I'm going to call you sandbagger cuz you've been hiding some chops! Sounds great man! Keep posting them!

suphuckers said:
I have a POS laptop (that I saved from the trash) that I use for a DAW. Every once in a while it just turns off and flashes a little. It can be scary when it happens lmao.

I use Ableton https://www.ableton.com/en/live/new-in-9/
Which Ableton product do you use?

Corium_AZ said:
Drew - I have a cheap interface like he does (mine is an MAudi I got from best buy for like $100), and use Reaper for the DAW (it's free to use forever, but encouraged to pay for it at some point. It's only $60.. And works as well as any big $ DAW).
Is Reaper as full featured? I should probably start off with ?free? anyway?

Any insight from anyone would be appreciated.

I did some research and saw the Focusrite was a firewire connection. At this point it really doesn't matter, I don't have a computer to hook it up to anyway. This project makes my head hurt and I may continue to make noise on my own. I might be too old to figure all these modern gadgets out. After all the years of playing I finally figured out a proper pedalboard and four cord method a few years ago (and still prefer straight in the amp). I do appreciate the advice, it probably saved me a grand or more in cash and gear sitting next to my infrequently used pedalboard. :D

drewiv said:
I did some research and saw the Focusrite was a firewire connection. At this point it really doesn't matter, I don't have a computer to hook it up to anyway. This project makes my head hurt and I may continue to make noise on my own. I might be too old to figure all these modern gadgets out. After all the years of playing I finally figured out a proper pedalboard and four cord method a few years ago (and still prefer straight in the amp). I do appreciate the advice, it probably saved me a grand or more in cash and gear sitting next to my infrequently used pedalboard. :D

Drew, I have my old audio computer just sitting.. It's outdated but was a monster when I built it in 2007, XP dual core amd opteron and 2 gigs of ram. It still has two UAD-1 cards installed and Sonar 6. I'd give it to you for the cost of shipping but I don't know if it would be worth it. I could do 30 tracks on it with plenty of effects then but it doesn't even meet the minimum requirements for Sonar X3 now. It's set up to go which could make things pretty simple for you without having to configure much. Let me know.

Of course, after buying an interface and shipping for an outdated computer, you would probably be better off with a stand alone mini tascam of some sort. Might be less headache.

MarcoR said:
Drew, I have my old audio computer just sitting.. It's outdated but was a monster when I built it in 2007, XP dual core amd opteron and 2 gigs of ram. It still has two UAD-1 cards installed and Sonar 6. I'd give it to you for the cost of shipping but I don't know if it would be worth it. I could do 30 tracks on it with plenty of effects then but it doesn't even meet the minimum requirements for Sonar X3 now. It's set up to go which could make things pretty simple for you without having to configure much. Let me know.

That is a gracious offer, but if (and that's a huge if at this point) I move forward I will get a new computer. I'm planning on a new computer, but I was waiting for Windows 9/10 as I can't stand Windows 8 and I'm not "downgrading" another operating system. Anyhoooo, truly appreciate the offer. Awfully kind of you.

suphuckers said:
Maybe this will help the headache's. You just need 4 things.

1. One of these interfaces
Any of these will work fine that we've been discussing.

2. Some kind of PC to connect it to.
I use a laptop w/ an i5 processor, and 4gb of ram. It's not that old, but it's not top of the line either.

3. Some software to run on the PC.
There are several options and as Corium_AZ pointed out some of them are free

4. A mic
Which you already said you have. ...and there are some Direct Recording options too, but lets not make it complicated ;)

...and I guess it's good to have a guitar, amp, speakers, and fingers, which I'm assuming you also have those too LoL

I pretty much had it down to the 1-3, but the list is appreciated. Have a decent mic, nice guitars, nice amps, nice speakers and pretty crappy fingers.

Another dumb question, say I get Reaper or Ableton or Cubase or whatever - do I need EZ Drummer as well?