What is the KH-1 based upon?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricey

Reaction score
I have a RM-50 loaded with KH-1 and 1086 Modules on the way. I know that the KH-1 was Kirk Hammett's signature module, but what is it based on? Is it simply a variation of Randall's Clean module optimized for active pickups and tweaked to Kirk's taste or is it something altogether different? Is it a Fender based module? I don't use active pups, so I am also wondering if it also works well with passive pups? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I can't find it but I swear I remember someone saying it was based on a Fender Blackface Deluxe and designed to not distort or break up with a high input signal or volume. I really like mine for cleans.

It's a little "sterile" sounding from my memory of it, but that can be a good or bad thing depending on what you're after. It definitely won't break up as easily with active pickups....send it to Rob and have him turn it into a Super Clean, you won't regret it!

KH1 is the fender blackface twin preamp (the fender deluxe preamp is almost identical but does not have a mid control). It pulls down the gain at the input stage so it stays clean with hot humbuckers, unlike the other blackface mts modules.

mfgobbi said:
KH1 is the fender blackface twin preamp (the fender deluxe preamp is almost identical but does not have a mid control). It pulls down the gain at the input stage so it stays clean with hot humbuckers, unlike the other blackface mts modules.

I came across an old GW article where Hamster talked about his new sig amp and it stated pretty much the same

It's the same as a Blackface except it doesn't hit V2A (second gain stage in the module itself) quite as hard. That is where the claim of "cleaner for humbuckers" comes from. That said, both modules have Fender roots but neither are precise circuits at all.

Keep in mind, stock modules are "in the flavor of" situations. None are clones at all. It's all relative to working in the confines of the system.

Rob-That Super Clean Mod sounds great! Now I need to decide whether to go for that one first or the all in one Marshall mod that we discussed via email. Getting any sleep yet?

Ricey said:
Rob-That Super Clean Mod sounds great! Now I need to decide whether to go for that one first or the all in one Marshall mod that we discussed via email. Getting any sleep yet?

Things are settling into a rhythm with the little one and it's awesome.

Glad you are loving the Super Clean. I think by all-in-one Marshall you are referring to the 59RR Custom? If so, that was discontinued on 2/1/15. Check the news update on my website on 1/1/15 for a complete list. I am working on updating the website ASAP, but family and catching up in the shop are my top priority right now.

I don't actually have the Superclean yet. I am thinking of sending you my KH-1 to mod to Superclean specs because I really liked the description and sound clips that I have heard. We also discussed in a few emails the possiility of your doing a custom mod based upon the 59RR Custom. I have to decide which one I want first, but both will have to wait until I get this problem with my RM50 combo sorted out. My amp technician needs schematics for that and my RM100 combo (popping sound when standby engaged). Do you know where to find them? Randall has not replied to my email.

Jaded Faith said:
I think by all-in-one Marshall you are referring to the 59RR Custom? If so, that was discontinued on 2/1/15. Check the news update on my website on 1/1/15 for a complete list. I am working on updating the website ASAP, but family and catching up in the shop are my top priority right now.

I haven't been able to figure this out Rob,

You make Custom Modules and do Custom Modifications to Amps for a living right? If I call you up and want you to make me a 59RR Custom, you're going to tell me no? For a fee you'll make me a Custom Module of ANYTHING I want, but you won't make me a 59RR? I mean, I can get that it's not something you're going to have on hand. (..and I might have to wait for it) ..but the way you talk about these modules like there's no way you'll make another one. It just doesn't add up, or make sense. Do you hate those Modules and don't want any more of them out there with your name on them or something?

I mean, I even get not listing them on your website, and hopefully people will stop asking for them. I just can't imagine (if I were you) refusing to build a discontinued module for a customer that asked for it. Did they stop making a certain cap or something? LoL

This isn't meant as an attack or to start a fight. I just don't get it. I haven't said anything til now, but I've seen it come up a few times. Ever since the 1st time I read it... it just doesn't make sense to me.

1-1-15
For starters, the Jaded Faith Mods family would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year and wish you all the best for 2015. We have a lot in the works and this will be a very exciting year of growth for us.

On 12/2/14, we announced that there would be changes made to out MTS mod line up starting in 2015 (see our post here: http://jadedfaithmods.tumblr.com/post/104162676390/12-2-14). We have reviewed our sales figures and looked at known opportunities to improve on existing products. We also took into consideration the concerns our customers have voiced regarding the trend of loading MTS mods with excessive amounts of options that drove prices upward while making them harder to dial in. We have decided to streamline our product line with an emphasis on tone, minimal overlap, optimized designs, ease of use and maximum value.

Effective 2/1/15, the following changes will be made to our MTS product line:

1: The Grail Tone will be retuned, simplified, renamed and priced accordingly. It will no longer have the Variac Switch (hardwired in the ?ON? position) or the Presence knob.

2: The following mods will be discontinued and eventually replaced:
- Trilogy
- OD Special
- Erect
- 59RR Custom
- Brahma #39
- PlexiTweed
- Texas Special
- Twox

The focus here will be on streamlining these mods with decreased overlap (an example being the large number of Marshall mods), providing improved ease-of-use, taking a no-compromise design approach (for example, the Twox will be replaced with two separate modules focused exclusively on a Tweed Bassman and a clean AC30) and improved/updated designs for older mods (such as the Trilogy, OD Special and Erect).

3: The following mods will be discontinued with no current plans to replace or update:

- SVP
- Numbnutz
- XMG+
- QuickMod GT
- HW-103 Classic

We will be taking orders for all of these mods through 2/1/15. After that date they will all be considered discontinued and no longer available. Please note that the replacement mods will be all-new designs. As such, they are not considered ?updates? and we will not be offering revision services on the older mods which they replaced. We will be updating our website with the replacement products as applicable and available.

Please email [email protected] to place orders or with any questions you may have.

I had my KH-1 modded in to a Superclean. It was night and day in tone and versatility.

Yes, I read all that the 1st time you posted it in your original thread.

I still don't get why you would turn down an order for a Module (ANY Module) if a customer wanted to order one. No matter what that Module is.

Charge an extra $10-$20 for a non production (or custom) module, ..but to flat out say "NO"?

I mean whatever, (I sense another disturbance in the force which I'm not interested in)

..but it just doesn't make any sense to me.

I bet there are some other Modr's that will tie 2 resistors together with 3 caps, wrap it around a tube with a rubber band, and sell it to me with a ribbon on it if I asked them to. If you want, I'll send an email and confirm that for you heh

..and with that you're probably pissed off LoL. Sorry

You're not required to make anything for anyone if you don't want to. I just (no matter what you say) am not able to get my head around you turning down an order.

I kinda thought your response was going to be different to my original post.

You can yell at me or whatever if you want. I made my point and I won't fight with you. ;)

What's there to argue about? I figured I was pretty clear about what's happening and why. Since you have never ordered anything from me, it probably won't inconvenience you much.