Tell me about the 1086?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricey

Reaction score
I have a RM-50 loaded with KH-1 and 1086 Modules on the way. I know that the 1086 was Dan Donnegan's signature module, but what is it based on? Is it simply a variation of Randall's Plexi module optimized for higher gain and tweaked to Dan's taste or is it something altogether different? Is it a Marshall based module? Where does it fit in with my Plexi, Brown, SL+ and Ultra XL Modules? Any info would be appreciated.

I LOVE my 1086. It's my only stock gain module left. I actually started with my RM100 and KH-1 and 1086. To me, it's 2/3 Mesa Mark-ish with 1/3 Marshall stirred in. The bottom end is the best of all my modules in that it never gets that flubby, loose sound no matter how low you tune or how high you turn the bass up. Has the perfect amount of compression. I keep the mids on the non-scooped side and knob about 11:00. IMO, the scooped side is too much. I think of Type O Negative when I flip to that side.. lol. It's about 50/50 on the love or hate on this site..

is the 1087 a modded 1086 or was it an actual production module?

I am loving the 1086 so far! it is now my favorite module and I am not even familiar with Dan Donnegan or Disturbed. I really like the selectable gain and midra nge switches. I also like that sound remains focused and punchy and does not lose clarity or definition under high gain.

I found an old Randall price list on-line. It describes the 1086 as covering "any Plexi to Rectified tone". Does anybody know which position of the Mid Voicing switch is supposed to cover Plexi and which covers Recto?

I have the 1086 in my RM 50 and when I play out I always have dudes asking wtf is that! I have the palomino head i took the front off so you can't really tell what it is....lol It looks generic. I gotem all fooled ;)

I currently use my 1086 as my "lead" channel, and it fits the role well for me at least. I found that as a rhythm channel, it was a little lacking in the bottom end voicing. But man does it sing in the mid, and there's no shortage of gain/distortion lol.

-Adam

Ricey said:
I found an old Randall price list on-line. It describes the 1086 as covering "any Plexi to Rectified tone". Does anybody know which position of the Mid Voicing switch is supposed to cover Plexi and which covers Recto?

From what I'm hearing I'd say the left is more classic Marshall with more upper mids.

I found that the 1086 was great as a lead tone. I never really used it too much for rhythm though. I had trouble getting the Plexi sound out of it. Then again I already had the plexi module in my RM100. I also had the 1086 modified to a dzilla, so take what I am saying with a grain of salt.

I have a 1086 and just got a Salvation 1666. The 1666 blows it away! It is my favorite module so far.