Ultra vs Ultra XL?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the only thing I can say about these 2 is... I have an UltraXL, and it's one of the only stock Modules that I've played (Not that I've played a lot of stock Modules but..) that I like. It's sitting over there on a shelf, because I like many other (modded) modules much better. It's embedded in my mind that I'll never sell the XL. (Unless I sell it w/ the RM100 as a package). A friend of mine has an Ultra. All I can say about that is... I remember him saying he's "not impressed with it". I've played it (..because I've played all of his modules), but I was not impressed to the point that I don't even remember what it sounds like.

I haven't played mine in a while so its hard to give a detailed analysis of the tone, but... dunno if that helps.

The main difference in the two was the EQ circuit, with the regular Ultra having a big scoop. Most felt it was too much and it certainly had trouble in a mix because of it.

For the heck of it.. and I know since I don't have an Ultra to compare it to, this is of limited help (..but I'm assuming you're considering buying one or both of these modules? so maybe this will be of some use?) ..anyways, I stuck the XL in next to the AngelE and the SalvadoDLX and gave it a listen.

In comparison to those, it's like the XL is their little brother that's just starting to go through puberty, but it sounds like one day he'll grow up and be just like them. ;) That's the best way I could think to compare it. It has all the parts but it still needs a little more.

For $100 or w/e those go for, and compared to the almost $500 I paid for the other ones, it's a really nice sounding module. Every time I play it I like it. It has plenty of gain and its fairly quiet and has a decent tone. If I had to, I could get by with it.

I always liked the Ultra over the Ultra XL. The XL seemed to have more pronounced high mid frequencies that I didn't care for. The Ultra seemed chunkier. It was my favorite of the stock High Gain modules.

The Ultra, UltraXL and Ultra Lead all had a place in my amp at one point.

I had an Ultra/XL switchable that I kept around for the longest time.....

All of them had the input modded or corrected in some way....R1 because of the age of the modules and C3 because I could never get over how boomy they were with stock cap values.

I have a XL. Just seeing if it would be worth it to get an Ultra. JKD are you saying there is a Mod to switch between both?

RonZombie said:
I have a XL. Just seeing if it would be worth it to get an Ultra. JKD are you saying there is a Mod to switch between both?

Yup..it's fairly simple from memory...am sure Jaded Faith could do a simple switch mod for ya.