I sold all of my pedals!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiomidijace

Reaction score
And ordered a TC Electronic Nova System. I was already using a TC Nova Reverb and Nova Delay in FX loop. I really just don't like overdrive pedals. I like the sound of my modules. Personally all I want for a solo is just a boost in output level so it cuts through the mix. I may use a different module for rhythm and solos as well.
The other pedals I used were Phaser, tremolo and chorus. And I don't use them often. The modulation FX that are in the Nova System sound as good or better than what I was using anyway. The tap tempo allows me to control the speed of the tremolo pedal just like I was before.
I'm mostly playing at home so I'll keep using my RM4 4 button MIDI switch to change channels and use the Nova System in pedal mode to turn FX on/off.
I'll be using it in the FX loop of the RM4.
Should I ever need to play in a band with presets the Nova System can change the channel on my RM4 via MIDI.
This also means less cables, less things to go wrong and less space taken up on my pedal board.
I am still using a wha pedal!
The Nova System brand new at $345 is MORE than worth the price, but I picked up a used one for $200. I sold my TC Reverb and Delay pedals for $300. The funds for the rest of my pedals are covering the purchase of a Waves Gold Bundle for plug-ins in my Pro Tools system It's currently on sale for $199!
Next on the list is a Fishman Triple Play MIDI pickup system. I'm really excited about that one! I'm also excited to try the new Fishman Fluence pickups. I'll install a pair of the classic humbucker models as soon as they're available.

Nice!

I use a vox tonelab for all my up front fx & OD's. Works great, sounds great, stupid cheap & switches my rm100's channels too! I am in the hunt for a used TC Nova Drive tho - really want to check one out for more OD options.

sweet. I've wanted a Nova System for a while. TC's Flashback delay is great, but I've had to move it to in front of the RM100 because even it doesn't have the headroom to deal with modules running hotter than 12 o'clock.

From reading the spec sheets, the increased headroom of the Nova products should be enough though, so I was sorely tempted by your Nova Reverb. Your price made it very tempting.

Gotta hold out for a Nova System though. Apart from adding some primo fx to the pedalboard, the midi switching will remove the RF-3 and patches will reduce tapdancing

The nova does not have an out jack for the ODs so it you want it for the effects loop you lose the analog od circuits which is not a problem if you don't like dirt hitting the front of the amp, but its OD circuit also provides a great clean boost that can be useful and could be missed. If you just need the digital effects it will do it very well and it doubles as a MIDI controller for your other MIDI needs. I sold mine because I personally don't like its user interface/programmability. I love its size.

mfgobbi said:
The nova does not have an out jack for the ODs so it you want it for the effects loop you lose the analog od circuits which is not a problem if you don't like dirt hitting the front of the amp, but its OD circuit also provides a great clean boost that can be useful and could be missed. If you just need the digital effects it will do it very well and it doubles as a MIDI controller for your other MIDI needs. I sold mine because I personally don't like its user interface/programmability. I love its size.

Yes, I don't care about the OD function. But there's a boost function that's not tied to the OD that lets me simply boost the output level and not the input level which is exactly what I want.
I can certainly understand your UI issues, what were your thoughts on the sounds?

It sounds really good, if not a bit hi-fi for a vintage tone guy like me. But if you want primarily chorus and delays, you can't beat it. Flangers and phasers are on the pristine side (rather than vintage organic). Reverbs are good (not a lexicon but more than enough for guitar), eq, noise gate, and compressor work as they should. The post boost is cool too (very useful for cutting a solo or bringing the guitar to the front of the mix). It's a cool unit. Check out somewhere on the net a program by Pete Thorn to emulate a leslie... super cool as there is no dedicated leslie effect on the unit.

audiomidijace said:
mfgobbi said:

Yes, I don't care about the OD function. But there's a boost function that's not tied to the OD that lets me simply boost the output level and not the input level which is exactly what I want.
I can certainly understand your UI issues, what were your thoughts on the sounds?

And an input for an expression pedal. I just picked on up recently used for $300. I'm still finding my way around it.I think you can also do midi cc on any of the buttons as well. Hopefully I'll have time to mess with it soon!

I received my Nova System, updated the firmware and got it all setup.
Overall I'm very happy with it. I'm pleasantly surprised with the compressor in the FX loop. I don't need a compressor often, but when I do this will work great. Chorus sounds great, the boost works perfectly and I gained a pitch shifting function which is nice. This was certainly the right move for me.
I haven't noticed any of the level issues that others have mentioned yet. I don't hear any clipping or anything. It sounds like unity gain go me.
This unit does have an impact on the overall tone of my system, but really, unless you can afford and have room for a real wet/dry rig there's really nothing you can do about that. Your whole analog signal is being converted to digital and back to analog.
For my way of working this will work perfectly. 8)

audiomidijace said:
This unit does have an impact on the overall tone of my system, but really, unless you can afford and have room for a real wet/dry rig there's really nothing you can do about that. Your whole analog signal is being converted to digital and back to analog.
For my way of working this will work perfectly. 8)

I'm replacing my Eventide Timefactor, Pitchfactor and Space with an Eclipse. I'm using the two outputs from the M4 to split my analog signal into the 'Dry In' on the RJM mini mixer and send the other signal to the Eclipse.
From the Eclipse, it's stereo out to the first channel on the mini mixer, then stereo out the mini mixer into the Pigtronics Infinity looper (it has a pure analog path) then to the VHT 2502 out to my two cabs in stereo.

I tried going direct to the Eclipse and as good as the AD/DA is, it still bothers me. Using the mini mixer and retaining my analog signal throughout is so much better in sound and feel (for me at least).

The problem is some effects like Whammy need to be fully processed and the dry signal needs to be muted. If I want to keep the analog path for everything else, I'll have to put the dry path on a midi audio switcher to mute it for the Whammy effect. **** details...

It sound really good though; a definite step up from the factor pedals and less cables. My pedalboard lost about eight pounds but my rack gained ten. I'm still kicking around putting my Lexicon PCM80 in the rack too. So much for keeping it simple?

The Nova System just sounds awesome. I'm a huge TC fan (I absolutely love the Alter Ego Delay), but for some reason, I can never really come around to a MFX system. I've tried a few time, because it does make more sense, but I just love having my stomp boxes laid out in front of me. I guess I'm just kinda remedial like that haha. I did invest in a switcher tho, so I can avoid tap dancing :D

I had the same setup with a Nova System for verbs and delays and used pedals for the dirt tones. . . Ended up trying some Strymon pedals and then never looked back ;)