Dual TD versus Randall Deluxe?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caine

Reaction score
I'm in the process of moving from a single to dual module system. I've always thought that the Randall Deluxe module is a great out of the box stocker for SRV/Chris Duarte blues. With the gain cranked, it's thick, warm and totally blows away the Tweed module, IMO. With a BB Pedal in front of it, it screams. I had one modded once to a twin/deluxe and the deluxe mode did not have the mojo that is did before it was modded. I sold it and jumped on eBay to get another stocker.

All that being said, has anyone owned both the Eganter TD and the Randall Deluxe that could shed some light on how the Egnater TD deluxe mode sounded in comparison to the Randall Deluxe module?

I had both modules. I never liked the Randall Fender style modules as they all had the annoying booming bass that I could never dial out. Mine were the earlier versions (no black stripe or black faceplate) which may of had something to do with it as I remember reading somewhere they had an incorrect resistor installed. The Egnater T/D module was a different story.
Awesome tones on both channels from clean to nice breakup tones.
This is my experiences others may feel differently.

That's why I sent mine to Rob at JF, and we came up withe the VybeDeluxe. He has a dual option posted on his site.

http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/vybe-deluxe.html

Yes the bass is a bit odd. For cleans, the Randall Deluxe was "okay" but you had to really dial down the bass; not my first choice for cleans. But for overdriven blues, I dialed the bass down to around 3 or 4 and it just killed. I imagine the TD is even better so I'm looking forward to getting a hold of one.

Fender amps are typically more scooped tonestack-wise than others, and are typically used with open back cabs with Jensen like speakers, so the big bottom is useful in that scenario.

djdayson said:
Fender amps are typically more scooped tonestack-wise than others, and are typically used with open back cabs with Jensen like speakers, so the big bottom is useful in that scenario.

Good point. All I know is the deluxe that I have sounds awesome with my Strat, esp. using the middle/neck and neck positions with the gain cranked and even more so with a BB pedal in front of it. I sold my tweed module soon after I bought it--no comparison, IMO, to the deluxe for getting a thick, vintage Fender mojo blues tone.

Agreed, I use a stock Deluxe for my Fender needs too.

Everyone needs to remember that cab design and speaker choice is a HUGE percentage of any amp's tone.

Caine said:
djdayson said:

Good point. All I know is the deluxe that I have sounds awesome with my Strat, esp. using the middle/neck and neck positions with the gain cranked and even more so with a BB pedal in front of it. I sold my tweed module soon after I bought it--no comparison, IMO, to the deluxe for getting a thick, vintage Fender mojo blues tone.

I really hated my stock deluxe. I am a Fender nut and it did not sound like one. One of my first mods was having Rob do a basic mod on it. I don't know what he did but it sure seemed to "open it up" a lot. The stocker sounded cheap and not at all fender-y. Now it is the real deal and was a hell of a lot cheaper than a full on mod.

The T/D module really does a great job for it's worth. . . Remember a real Fender has a different speaker, and transformer's, and tubes.

I have three real Fenders....old ones. They all have 6L6's and different speakers. My RM50 has 6L6's and now has the Mercury Transformers. I can put my real Deluxe next to my Rm50 with the basic mod preamp and get them to where two real deluxe's would sound just as similar. I never had the dual T/D but all I am saying is that the stock randall twin or deluxe were never in the ballpark.