Need module suggestions for good cleans and good high gain

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonman079

Reaction score
I have an rm50 combo with the 1987 and mr. Scary modules. They sound good but not quite the tones I am after. I need a good clean and high gain modules. I tend to prefer vox type cleans as far as the gain goes I am a big fan of the Friedman amps.
I can not afford to buy any of the modded modules. So I will have to stay in the range of what I can swap mine for. So which ones would you guys suggest?

Mr. Scary has always been atop my list of stock modules, but The Judge might be more up your alley if you prefer Friedman. As far as the clean goes, the Clean and Blackface modules always were my stock favorites, but that's not the Vox you're looking for and I think you'd be hard pressed to find an Egnater VX... Did Egnater even make a single channel VX? I can't recall, it's been so long.

For high gain, I kinda like the Ultra XL module. It is high gain with lots of mids and a tight bottom. It reminds me somewhat of channel 3 on the EVH 5150 III amps. For cleans, I like the Tweed or Deluxe modules best. You have to keep the gain below noon to get a good clean sound out of those modules, so if you need tons of clean headroom, they may not be your best choice, but they definitely have the best high end sparkle of any of the clean modules I have tried and I own KH-1, Blackface and Tweed modules. I have never tried the Topboost, but would like to score one of those. I have heard it said that it is also sparkly or chimey at lower gain setting, but, again, not a ton of headroom is available.

Ah, forgot the Top Boost and Super V modules. I didn't really care for those, but that might be what you're looking for.

Thanks for the replies I just checked out some clips of the judge and a few others. So far I like it the best for gain sounds. If I traded my mr. Scary for one would it be an even trade? Or are they worth more than the scary?

Moonman079 said:
Thanks for the replies I just checked out some clips of the judge and a few others. So far I like it the best for gain sounds. If I traded my mr. Scary for one would it be an even trade? Or are they worth more than the scary?

Debatable. I'd say The Judge module probably goes for a touch more because they were among the last produced and there are probably fewer of them out there. That said, the 1987 Ian module is in that same class, imo.

I understand you're not in the financial position to purchase modded modules, but when you are Rob @ Jaded Faith does some wonderful "base mods" that don't include fancy faceplates, knobs or LED replacement at a very reasonable rate.

Good luck in your tone quest.

Honestly, I think the one module that i'll never get rid of is my Randall Clean. Does what i need it to clean-wise, and actually breaks up nicely with a high-output guitar.