Switchblade 8F SALE!!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MarcoR said:
suphuckers said:
..and the problem is (IMO) the best effects don't seem to come in midi controllable boxes. So you get mediocre effects or you tap dance, whats your pleasure? This is kind of the point of some of this discussion.
I'm glad I don't share your opinion or it would be pretty frustrating.
IMO (and many of the musicians I respect and major studios all over the world) the best effects do have midi capabilities to control the parameters you would want to manipulate while performing or control by a sequencer.

yes it is very frustrating Marco heh

It is too bad some of the great boxes you found don't have midi but I wouldn't need it with the Empress Super Delay. You have tap tempo and can control the mix or feedback with an expression pedal. You can save 8 presets and navigate them from the footswitches. Put it in a midi looper/router and your done; you could have it On/Off on a preset or instant access. I could easily work with that and it's all I would need live.
That's exactly how I have it hooked up, and it's not bad. If that were my only problem I think I could deal with it. I also built a stomp box so that I could use my one expression pedal on multiple effects (which also doubles as a Volume Pedal) It works fairly well. I have one pedal for Volume and Multiple expression controls. The box has two stomp switches and some led's on it. It's really pretty nice, and took a bit of engineering to get it working right without creating ground loops and etc.

This was the way I originally was going to go with my whole rig. I just got a little frustrated with my phaser not being able to change some settings unless I bent down and turned the dials by hand. I was looking for a midi controller to send cc msgs to the phaser. Then I started looking at Strymon. Here we are...

The only thing that's holding me back from discussing that LF with you is that my midi controller also doubles as my parallel loop switcher. I could hide it behind the amp and it'll still work as a loop switch, but... If I'm gonna go that route then the thing to do is trade it all in and get the switchblade and go your same route ;)

suphuckers said:
The only thing that's holding me back from discussing that LF with you is that my midi controller also doubles as my parallel loop switcher. I could hide it behind the amp and it'll still work as a loop switch, but... If I'm gonna go that route then the thing to do is trade it all in and get the switchblade and go your same route ;)

All roads lead to Rome.

...but Thanks Marco, Now I have to go back and listen to all these reverbs and effects. Plus probably completely re-examine my entire rig structure lmao. ;)

I suppose it's possible that I've never come across anyone that's had an Eventide set right. They always sound the same to me, and I've never been willing to spend my money on one based on that. When I hear them there's a certain character to them that's always there.

...and In case I gave the wrong impression on this. I do like the Lexicon verb's, but they aren't very exciting. I think I like the Lexicon more for vocals than guitar. Of all of the reverbs I've listened to, the Lexicon's do sound the most "realistic". Just a tad bit on the boring side. Plus just like you said, I have found them to be a pain in the butt (time wise) to set up.

I think maybe the Supernatural has some modulation effects mixed in with the reverbs. That's why I say "improved". You could probably get the same sounds with some other effects if you sit around and spend a lot of time with it. I just want to be able to twist a knob and find a good sound.

...and now for several hours of listening chaos lmao

..but seriously Thanks! I enjoyed this conversation, and it gave me a bit to think about.

This discussion really got me thinking about my current effects situation and needs. I need the spontaneity, but could really use a break from all the tap dancing. I am typically in the group that only needs one setting for any given effect per song, the only exception being delay. However I can get by that hurdle with a good tap tempo. So I pulled the trigger on a few new pieces of gear and they will all arrive by tomorrow.

Here were my list of needs:

- My critical effects that I need are my Xotic SP Compressor, Xotic EP Booster, OCD and my TC delay (Flashback X4) and reverb (Arena). I like some chorus (was using a TC Corona Chorus) occasionally and would like a few more modulation effects if the urge hits me.

- I wanted to have the ability via MIDI to channel change both my amps with MIDI and those that do not. I have a large collection of amps and play whatever my mood fancies on any given day.

- I wanted to be able to set some scenes that would change effects in and out of the chain while changing channels as need be with a single click of a switch.

- I did not want to deal with a rack, I wanted it all to fit on my SKB PS-55 board (keep it grab and go), keep the "kneel down and tweak it at my feet" simplicity and excessive signal routing with mixers was out of the question.

Here is what I wound up going with:

1- A Decibel Eleven Switch Dr for the switching duties. It did everything I needed it to. It can send MIDI directions, it can switch channels via relays and it provides me with the four loops I want for my effects. It also fits into a small footprint and is easily powered via the SKB. It's similar to the GCX I used to have without the hassle of a rack.

2: A TC Nova System will replace my TC Corona Chorus, Flashback X4 and Arena Reverb. This will run in the loop of the amps and can easily be configured to be in front via a simple jumper cable on the SKB's cable routing. I can run it like individual pedals or as preset scenes. Added bonuses are the additional effects I didn't have before and I gain a solo boost.

I think this will be a good change for me, meeting my needs and providing a simpler scenario when playing live. Thanks for the motivation and getting me thinking about it.

The Decibel 11 is what I use Rob, except I use the Pedal Pallet. It's just like the Switch Dr. but it also has the ability to run the loops in parallel as well as series. Then I use the Loop Expander for my preamp selector. The Loop Expander is series only. It's good stuff. The Loop Expander also has the ability (Tho I don't have a need for it) to act as an amp switcher. It has both NO and NC jacks on it. It works great for changing preamps and at the same time turning the effects on and off and etc. If my effects were all midi capable, I'd be in heaven with it. Using that SuperDelay with the 8 presets makes it much simpler. It's just my other effects that are giving me trouble. Once I break down and buy the Mobius (Or an AxeFXII <- That's a joke) I'll probably be much happier.

That Nova System seems pretty cool Rob.

While I was checking that thing out I think I figured out part of what bugs me on some of this reverb stuff though.

Natural sounds loose energy as they get closer to you. At the same time they get louder because they are getting closer. It's a balance. By the time they hit your ears (depending on the room) they have lost a lot of energy. It makes the sound waves pretty pleasant (depending on the content, but either way certainly compared to the original source, but this is whats so cool about this particular effect) Right at the moment it hits your ear drums, there should be a swell due to you actually being inside the sound wave. Most reverbs are not doing a very good job of simulating this. It (I'm sure) has to do with the speaker being so close to your ears, (..and I'm not a sound engineer) but it seems to me, they should be able to do something with the wave form to make it look more like it has some age on it.

Most reverb sounds more like delay to me than reverb. ...and yes I know reverb and delay have a lot in common. If they were the same then we wouldn't have both though LoL.

The larger the room the longer it should take the sound to travel back to your ears. The amount of energy loss compared to the delay time in a lot of these effects doesn't seem to be accurate to my ears. I think this is what I'm hearing.

So that should more clearly explain the "corner effect", and what makes it seem to me as if the timings are off.

..but maybe people just set them up wrong. Maybe if you get some time and desire, you can mess around with some of that gear and see if you hear what I'm talking about Marco. Maybe you can adjust some of that out on that Eventide gear. It costs too much for me to buy it (to test it) considering I hear it every time I listen to it.

Jaded Faith said:
This discussion really got me thinking about my current effects situation and needs. I need the spontaneity, but could really use a break from all the tap dancing. I am typically in the group that only needs one setting for any given effect per song, the only exception being delay. However I can get by that hurdle with a good tap tempo. So I pulled the trigger on a few new pieces of gear and they will all arrive by tomorrow.

Here were my list of needs:

- My critical effects that I need are my Xotic SP Compressor, Xotic EP Booster, OCD and my TC delay (Flashback X4) and reverb (Arena). I like some chorus (was using a TC Corona Chorus) occasionally and would like a few more modulation effects if the urge hits me.

- I wanted to have the ability via MIDI to channel change both my amps with MIDI and those that do not. I have a large collection of amps and play whatever my mood fancies on any given day.

- I wanted to be able to set some scenes that would change effects in and out of the chain while changing channels as need be with a single click of a switch.

- I did not want to deal with a rack, I wanted it all to fit on my SKB PS-55 board (keep it grab and go), keep the "kneel down and tweak it at my feet" simplicity and excessive signal routing with mixers was out of the question.

Here is what I wound up going with:

1- A Decibel Eleven Switch Dr for the switching duties. It did everything I needed it to. It can send MIDI directions, it can switch channels via relays and it provides me with the four loops I want for my effects. It also fits into a small footprint and is easily powered via the SKB. It's similar to the GCX I used to have without the hassle of a rack.

2: A TC Nova System will replace my TC Corona Chorus, Flashback X4 and Arena Reverb. This will run in the loop of the amps and can easily be configured to be in front via a simple jumper cable on the SKB's cable routing. I can run it like individual pedals or as preset scenes. Added bonuses are the additional effects I didn't have before and I gain a solo boost.

I think this will be a good change for me, meeting my needs and providing a simpler scenario when playing live. Thanks for the motivation and getting me thinking about it.

That's awesome, Rob! I think it will work out well for you.

Maybe instead of trying to reproduce sounds in huge rooms, they should try to reproduce the sound coming out of a speaker of a recording that was made in an actual huge room... if that makes sense ;)

I mean I don't know... I don't know what they've done or tried, or haven't done or tried. I just know what I hear. Bugs me LoL

suphuckers said:
T
While I was checking that thing out I think I figured out part of what bugs me on some of this reverb stuff though.

Natural sounds loose energy as they get closer to you. At the same time they get louder because they are getting closer. It's a balance. By the time they hit your ears (depending on the room) they have lost a lot of energy. It makes the sound waves pretty pleasant (depending on the content, but either way certainly compared to the original source, but this is whats so cool about this particular effect) Right at the moment it hits your ear drums, there should be a swell due to you actually being inside the sound wave. Most reverbs are not doing a very good job of simulating this. It (I'm sure) has to do with the speaker being so close to your ears, (..and I'm not a sound engineer) but it seems to me, they should be able to do something with the wave form to make it look more like it has some age on it.

Most reverb sounds more like delay to me than reverb. ...and yes I know reverb and delay have a lot in common. If they were the same then we wouldn't have both though LoL.

The larger the room the longer it should take the sound to travel back to your ears. The amount of energy loss compared to the delay time in a lot of these effects doesn't seem to be accurate to my ears. I think this is what I'm hearing.

So that should more clearly explain the "corner effect", and what makes it seem to me as if the timings are off.

..but maybe people just set them up wrong. Maybe if you get some time and desire, you can mess around with some of that gear and see if you hear what I'm talking about Marco. Maybe you can adjust some of that out on that Eventide gear. It costs too much for me to buy it (to test it) considering I hear it every time I listen to it.

I think you're describing what you hear well. Reverbs are probably the most complex of effects to design for many of the observations you mention.

If you get into the deep editing on the Eclipse, you see that the reverb algorithm is a series of short delays cascading (16 of them if I recall) into one another (that's also the basis of diffusion). The delay times start very short; maybe around 25 to 35 ms and incrementally get longer. If you start too short, it sounds metallic and if you end to long, it borders on slapback.

The pre-delay is critical for realism because natural reverb doesn't reach your ear until it goes from the origin to a wall and back (pre-delay) and past you and to the wall behind the source and this bouncing continues until the sound runs out of energy. This is what the cascading delays replicate. Add to that equation, room modes, resonant frequencies, nulls and peaks and quickly you see that there is no one perfect way to create reverb.

One thing about many of the Eventide presets is they tend to show off the envelope filtering and modulation of various parameters. I have a feeling, that's what you're not liking about some of what you heard. Personally, I've tried to tweak some of the reverb algorithms and it's real easy to eff it all up and really takes making small changes and listening to the results and how it impacts the source material being fed into it.

The classic Lexicons have a dedicated chip just for the reverb and other chips for everything else they do. They also allow some very powerful and complex internal routing options for feedback loops and have the potential of creating massive oscillation that can blow your speakers if you're not careful! Wild stuff! I think it could take years to wrap one's head around all the possibilities in a PCM80/81.

The modern boxes take some of the amazing creations that came out of the old racks and turn them into a setting on a rotary switch and then give you the most basic parameters to tweak; mix, depth, speed, size, etc. Very convenient and easy to find a good sound but pale in comparison to the massive amount of adjustable parameters in the original racks. It's easy to see why the paradigm shifted, too much power is dangerous in the wrong hands! Or in other words, it's really easy to make those great old racks sound like sh!t if you don't know what you're doing!
:oops:

Yup I'm with all that.

MarcoR said:
Or in other words, it's really easy to make those great old racks sound like sh!t if you don't know what you're doing!
:oops:

I prefer effects that I'm able to make sound bad. I think what I like is... when they took the time to get it close (as you said), and then give me the ability to tweak it. ...but I also like effects that have a lot of flexibility. For instance, if Knob A is too far to the left you better not have Knob B too far to the right or it'll sound like junk. ..but they need to have a good starting point. I don't have 63 hrs to try to dial in my reverb LoL ..but I don't want to be stuck sounding just like everyone else either though.

suphuckers said:
You got this thing all broke in Marco? How's it working out?

It's working great but it brought a couple issues to the surface. The main thing is... with the WinBlade application, you can monitor the levels at any point of the signal path. So naturally I've tried to optimize everything for each device. I didn't realize how much I needed to attenuate the overall mixed/summed signal that went to my Infinity looper (it's usually last in the chain). I had been using an RJM mini mixer previously in front of the Infinity and had the output level set halfway between zero and unity gain (about half the volume). Bottom line is the Infinity looper doesn't handle true line level very well which is surprising because the Echolution does handle line level without any issues (Good info for those wanting a delay pedal that will work with the RM and MOD loops). Other than waiting for a reply from Pigtronix on whether they can modify my Infinity, the 8F is great so far.

Switching is instant and silent, you control it remotely by the software, it doesn't seem to add any color to the sound. Initially, I thought it was changing my sound slightly but that was due to the signals being more optimized. I'm still trying to get the best balance on each component in the more experimental routing options but the basic parallel routing is perfect. It has definitely put gain staging into perspective and reminded me that summing is summing and that's something.

suphuckers said:
You got this thing all broke in Marco? How's it working out? ..and how about you Rob? You diggin' the Switch Dr.?

To be honest, I have just barely gotten it to work with my MOD 50 so far to allow me to switch channels. Fortunately two of the first 4 presets will toggle between the channels. The manual is good, but not super easy to follow. I am usually limited to 30 minutes before the band arrives for practice on Thursdays right now to try to integrate it and the Nova System (which I am also just barely up and running with and not at all with MIDI yet). Between the ridiculous amount of work in the shop queue right now and an 11 week old daughter my "me time" is non-existent at the moment. I'm just happy to touch a guitar!

Jaded Faith said:
suphuckers said:
You got this thing all broke in Marco? How's it working out? ..and how about you Rob? You diggin' the Switch Dr.?

To be honest, I have just barely gotten it to work with my MOD 50 so far to allow me to switch channels. Fortunately two of the first 4 presets will toggle between the channels. The manual is good, but not super easy to follow. I am usually limited to 30 minutes before the band arrives for practice on Thursdays right now to try to integrate it and the Nova System (which I am also just barely up and running with and not at all with MIDI yet). Between the ridiculous amount of work in the shop queue right now and an 11 week old daughter my "me time" is non-existent at the moment. I'm just happy to touch a guitar!

Well it's not that complicated. I'm pretty sure the Sw. Dr. works just like the P-Pallet.

It sounds like you're already in midi mode and have both set to the same midi channel.

Just set the MOD50 to the Module you want to use, and hold down the button (I'm assuming.. It works just like an RM50?). Then while you're holding the button on the MOD50... at the same time press and release the switch on the Sw Dr. for the program/channel you want to use. Then release the button on the MOD50. The program should now be stored in memory with the selected Module and program channel.

Then to set the loops, you just hold down the store/edit button on the Sw. Dr. for a few sec's. When all the lights are flashing, you turn on and off the loops you want on/off by way of the switches on the Sw. Dr.. Then give the store edit button another press. It should save the active loops. Now when you select the program you just made, your selected loops and the module you chose should all be selected at the same time.

Program 1.. Module 1 and reverb. Program 2.. Module 1 and delay. Program 3.. Module 1 reverb and a phaser. Program 4.. Module 2 and a chorus etc.

Marco, That sounds like a lot of work but I bet it'll have some nice results.