ISP Decimator in RM100 Loop?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrous12

Reaction score
Can the Decimator or Gstring pedals be used directly in the loop w/out a level shifting device?

Man that sucks. I recently got a STEP pedal but really just wanted it for the boost. So now if I need noise reduction in the loop I need to also add a different boost. It never ends.

Interesting note: I use a Decimator pedal as my benchmark for designing and testing effects loops. If you don't clip one of these with your send level then nothing will clip. Super sensitive.

The Decimater was the last hurdle on my pedalboard when Rob was designing and testing the STEP. The original "little black box" worked perfectly until the Decimator was introduced in the loop, then all hell broke loose. The STEP will quell any Decimator issue.

People need to stop trying to put toy boxes in line level loops designed for pro level gear... ;-) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

running and ducking for cover

drewiv said:
The Decimater was the last hurdle on my pedalboard when Rob was designing and testing the STEP. The original "little black box" worked perfectly until the Decimator was introduced in the loop, then all hell broke loose. The STEP will quell any Decimator issue.

I know but if I put it through the STEP in the loop I would need to leave the STEP on full time and I lose the volume boost ability of it. Would need to add another pedal for boosting. Good news on that though is I could use anything again and not have to worry about it not liking line level.
My rig has been quiet at rehearsal but I know that can quickly change when you get on stage. Just don't know yet if I will need loop noise reduction or if doing it out front will suffice.

MarcoR said:
People need to stop trying to put toy boxes in line level loops designed for pro level gear... ;-) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

running and ducking for cover

yeah I agree Marco, except I still go back to the effects in the "toy boxes" are sometimes better than other "pro" gear. That doesn't so much apply to trying to smash a decimator in there tho LoL

audiomidijace said:
What other pedals are you using in the FX loop?

None. I just have the STEP there now in boost mode. I could see a delay at some point but don't have or need one right now.

The key to using a gate properly is to determine your needs and what it is that you are trying to gate exactly.

A noise suppressor should sit right after the noise source you're trying to deal with. The more stuff you add before it (or between the noise source and the noise suppressor), the harder it will be to get a setting that kills the noise without messing with the note decay and overall tone.

For starters, you need to figure out where the most noise is generated. If it's when you use the amp's distortion channel, running the noise suppressor in the loop will be the only way for it to touch that noise. However, you will then need to find a compromise setting that works for when you're using the clean channel or the clean channel + dirt pedals.

Conversely, if you find that the amp's distortion channel is relatively quiet while the pedals or guitar are the source of noise, the noise suppressor will be better placed in front of the amp.

Do the noise tests with the guitar volume off and compare with the guitar volume turned up. Noise from the guitar (pickup hum, feedback, etc) is usually better dealt with at the source.

In general, it depends on how you want to use it.

1. Do you have excess noise/hiss from having a lot of gain? Use it in the FX loop. This is the "hard stop" method that a lot of metal guys like. I always think of Static X as an example.

2. Do you just need help against feedback or general environmental noise that is being picked up via your guitar/cables/pedals? Put it in front. This is my favorite application and far more gentle and musical. If you still want max sustain and notes to be able to bloom into musical feedback with minimal jitter or lost tails, go this route.

suphuckers said:
nitrous,

Have you tried just putting the Decimator in front of the amp?

That's probably where it should be. :idea:

I don't have one yet. I am just in the process of building up my rig for gigging again, which is why I was asking before I buy.
I have run decimators in the past and have used them both in front or in the loop. My last amp was quiet until I got it on stage and the amps noise floor became the issue so running it in the loop was a must.
Just recently joined a new band and will have my first gig in May. At this point I think I will get one and run it up front. If I find the amp is too noisy I will run it through the STEP and add a boost with it.

nitrous12 said:
audiomidijace said:

None. I just have the STEP there now in boost mode. I could see a delay at some point but don't have or need one right now.

I'm using the rack Decimator and I have a TC Nova System in the loop with it.
The Decimator is AMAZING! It's the best device of it's kind I've ever used. I picked up the Nova System used for like $250. It provides a boost PLUS delay, reverb, modulation, pitch shifting, compression and a tuner! The TC runs at line level along with the Decimator. You can get rid of the Step at that point. The TC sounds great and has tap tempo features for your delay, tremolo, etc.

audiomidijace said:
nitrous12 said:
audiomidijace said:

I'm using the rack Decimator and I have a TC Nova System in the loop with it.
The Decimator is AMAZING! It's the best device of it's kind I've ever used. I picked up the Nova System used for like $250. It provides a boost PLUS delay, reverb, modulation, pitch shifting, compression and a tuner! The TC runs at line level along with the Decimator. You can get rid of the Step at that point. The TC sounds great and has tap tempo features for your delay, tremolo, etc.

TC Nova is a floor unit though correct? You have that out front and then the rack Decimator where?
I have an HD500 but have chosen not to use it. Mostly because I tend to not need a lot of effects and it ended up being too complicated because I had a separate boost for the loop, separate wah and separate vol pedal. Set up was ridiculous since I couldn't build it all to fit and fasten to my board. I could do the wah and vol on the HD500, but just wasn't digging how I had to set it all up and use it. I would rather have the analog always there and ready to go wah and vol. I am also adding a Whammy mostly for the dive bomb as I no longer have a whammy equipped guitar. We do Killing In The Name Of too so it will be fun for that. The only other thing I have is a Boss flanger right now.

My setup is with an RM4 and RT2/50 so the Decimator is in the rack with them.
Yes the Nova System is a floor unit like your HD500. The TC is a much more straight forward unit and much easier to use (My opinion anyway). I don't use many effects myself. The delay, Tuner and the boost get the most use.

The TC runs at line level. Does the HD500? I know the rack unit has the option, but the manual for the floor version only shows instrument level from what I can see.
My guitar goes in to the Decimator, out to my Wah pedal-Xotic EP booster and in to my RM4. The FX send of the RM4 goes to the Decimator, out to the TC, out to the FX return.

I run an ISP Decimator II in front and in the effects loop(serial). No problems here.