Modding modules and Power Tubes used

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibenhad

Reaction score
So a brief search gets me many non-related hits on my actual question but many related obviously to power tubes.

My question/thought is this. What "base" do modders uses to make their emulation mods? Do they use an RM100 with EL34's or a RM4 and RT/250 with 6L6's? To make matters worse do they mix EL34-6L6-6L6-EL34 or the reverse 6L6-EL34-EL34-6L6?

So basically my thought is this:

I buy a Jadded Faith or Salvation module based on lets say a 5150. Both of my real 5150's have 6L6's in them and if I have EL34's only in my RM100 how will it sound as either modder expected it to when they built it? Should the modders say what power tubes they recommend with a module in order for it to sound closest to the amp it is emulating? Maybe this is why people buy and flip modules so quickly at times? Speakers obviously make a big difference too but I won't go there. At least not yet.

Look forward to any feedback I get. Thanks guys.

The short answer here is I use a bunch of stuff. Combos, heads, rack, various tubes and more cabs/speakers than you want to know about.

Before you put too much thought into what power tube is the key, there are far more components to consider that are way more significant. Of greatest significance, there is the speaker and cab. All are not equal.

Second biggest key is the condition of the amp. How well is it maintained and tuned up? This ends up being the solution in more cases where folks don't like a module than you would think. Giving users the ability to tweak things like bias also means they screw things up...a lot.

Quality of the tubes, more than the brand, matters. Most don't have testers or know the current health of what they are using.

A fine-tuned rig through a great cab with the right speakers is the key. Hundreds of visits to the shop or trade show booths have confirmed that time and again. I can't tell you how many times guys have said "It didn't sound like that at home in my rig" to me after hearing one of my rigs. Never once was it a power tube thing.

As for why guys flip so quickly or some dislike modules, I am sure all the different variations of MTS rigs out there are a huge contributing factor. It's probably one of the most frustrating issues I deal with when it comes to this gear. It's really hard to account for everyone from the RM20 guy to the rack guy to the combo guy.

Rob I appreciate the response but not sure you totally got my thought?

I know all the variables make it insanely difficult and I certainly have enough gear to try things out with from 4x12 and 2x12 cabs to power amps and such.

I guess my question is really what would the standard RM100 config with any module that gets you the closest (best sounding) base for each module? The MTS community is obviously a tweaker based bunch and loves the ability to change all these variables. What do you suggest we start with?

I suppose the answer you're looking for is either "the same type of tube the amp in question has" or "whatever your favorite tube happens to be", no? The reality is the power tubes are only part of the recipe that make up the power amp. Other factors that are just as significant are the plate voltages, negative feedback, screen grid resistors and output transformer.

Plate voltages impact the headroom and how the tubes behave. Negative feedback really impacts the feel and flavor of the power amp. The final factor is most critical: the output transformer. All tube types want a particular primary impedance from the OT they are paired with. When you want an amp to accept all the types of tubes the MTS amps do, you have to use a median value for the primary impedance. Some tubes are going to be more happy than others depending on their needs. These reasons are the main contributing factors behind the complaints of MTS power amps not holding their own against the amps they are supposed to be imitating.