Modded plexi (Marshall content)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werdna

Reaction score
I would like to use a pre-amp which sounds like a Marshall plexi with the Jose mod. The Jose mod gives the plexi both more gain and a more open sound. It is not mushy or compressed.

Which pre-amp would you recommend please?

Mash-all + has been a favorite on this forum, and it's on sale at Motor City Mods. It has a specific Jose setting.

I had an original Mash-All (not the +) and loved it! Definitely got that modded plexi/JCM thing going on. I personally preferred the clean/plexi mode the best, and hit it hard with a good OD out front. Only reason I let go of it was for my 50R, which is also excellent. I just jive better with the orange sound overall.

This one that I have (Which is a fairly new + with an added tight switch) is rivaling my brand new DreadPlate and also my Salvado DLX. I ended up putting in an old RCA Black Plate in V1 and a really nice 7025 in V2. That combination really opened it up. If you put a gun to my head it might be the last of the 3 to leave. It doesn't quite have the power of the Salvado or the Balls of the DreadPlate, but it has tone for days...

I love the old RCA Blackplates..have a few of 'em kicking round...the long plates sound sweet in Marshall type mods.

Not to get off topic (The OP doesn't seem to be following this post anyways), but I had another one of those old Black Plates in my TwinFace. I think it was a 1958 RCA Long Black Plate (Exactly where you'd think it would shine), and it really sounded like junk. So far this MashAll is the only place I've put one, that I've ended up keeping it there. I can't remember what made me try it, but it instantly woke this Module up. I liked it before, but as soon as I put that tube in, I really fell in love with the thing. Now I cant remember what tubes I originally had in the TwinFace... I gotta start writing **** down LoL

I'm not sure what the long plates are.

I have standard Randall plexi and brown modules.

However I love my modded plexi tones.

So long plates, eh?

werdna said:
I'm not sure what the long plates are.

I have standard Randall plexi and brown modules.

However I love my modded plexi tones.

So long plates, eh?

Pick whatever tubes you prefer werdna. That old tube did it for me, but tubes are hit or miss. The point is, that MashAll Module is a really nice Module.

Sorry to derail the thread. Several days passed and you didn't seem engaged in the conversation.

I really liked the Mashall+ I had. The Jose tone was where it was at for me. Still didn't kick the JF Brahma out of the #1 spot though.

The Brahma has that AFD tone.

I have the Brown module. Is that close to the Brahma?