Tubes Tubes Tubes

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suphuckers

Reaction score
Under a Tree Near the Stage Coach Inn Museum
So I'm getting exhausted with this... Trying to figure out where to get good tubes (that have actually been checked/tested), that actually come to my house with the same specs as the tubes I ordered.

My most recent order was placed with the Tube Depot. I placed a test order with them a few weeks ago, and the tubes showed up great. Soooo then I put in an order for 12 more various tubes. What showed up at my house was a box of 50/50 mish-mosh, that looks to me like random tubes from the box on the shelf. I paid almost double for top shelf tubes, so you can imagine how irritated I am.

So who knows where I can get great tubes, that don't cost $100 for a $10 tube, and won't waste my time sending them back??

Usually I just keep them, but I'm running out of room to store these mediocre tubes that I'm probably never going to use anyways.

It's really getting annoying.

BTW Those of you who don't really have the ability to properly evaluate your tubes, are about 85% of the time getting ripped off.

Anyone??

Thanks!

The thing is I have a buncha testers, and I have a pretty technical background. I'm not an amp builder or w/e, but I test components every day at work. Testing/Evaluating a tube is pretty simple for me. I get pretty in depth with it. Why I get soo pissed, is that people are selling tubes all over the place and charging premium prices for junk. They count on the fact that most people can't even properly test a tube, much less argue with them about whether or not they got what they paid for. Most of them aren't even actually testing the tubes they are just reselling tubes that were marked at the place they were made. Well if you're going to charge me an extra $8 on a $10 tube, you should at least test the **** thing. The point is... If I didn't pay the extra $8/tube I would still have probably received the same **** tubes. It's become a VERY annoying situation for me. I'm about to the end of my rope with these rip off guys that just say "ohh well send it back" well... I'M TIRED OF GOING TO THE FLIPPIN MAILBOX! Frustrating. Every once in a while I come across a guy that seems to be legit, but their prices are usually outrageous.

Yeh, that s%%%cks..

I have bought tubes from The Tube Amp Docter various times, and they were matched very closely. At least the Power tubes were.

No Idea about the 12ax7's, 12AT7's or 5751's though..

I hear you. That is exactly why I stopped using Doug's tubes. I ordered a bunch or Ruby 12AX7 HG+ matched/balanced and they were all over the board, some even tested worn and one BAD. I emailed him and he basically told me they were tested, he stands by them and he wouldn't take them back. D - O - N - E.

Now, I just buy whatever from whomever and match categorize them myself.

If you really want something good/premium/matched, try Laura.

http://store.valvequeen.com/

drewiv said:
I hear you. That is exactly why I stopped using Doug's tubes. I ordered a bunch or Ruby 12AX7 HG+ matched/balanced and they were all over the board, some even tested worn and one BAD. I emailed him and he basically told me they were tested, he stands by them and he wouldn't take them back. D - O - N - E.

Now, I just buy whatever from whomever and match categorize them myself.

If you really want something good/premium/matched, try Laura.

http://store.valvequeen.com/

+1 on that - you actually get what you paid for from Laura :D

I've never bought any from her. Unfortunately, I'm looking for some EH tubes, and she doesn't seem to sell them. I don't use them in every slot, but those are the ones I'm having the hardest time finding.

Out of the 10 or so I have on hand, only 2 or 3 are in the range that I'm looking for. JJ's and TS and etc are much more consistent, and I use them both in many different places (along with some vintage tubes), but in some places I really like the EH's.

The most consistent tubes I've seen are the JJ's and Ruby's. I really don't care for the Chinese (Ruby) tubes, but they are usually strong, balanced, and consistent.

I didn't want to have to look through a whole box of EH tubes to find the couple I'm looking for. You'd think you could spend $127 on 6 tubes, and you could get some decent ones.

Ughhh, aight... Maybe I should just resolve myself to the fact that I'm just going to have to start dealing tubes (or buy them in bulk) if I want to get some good ones LoL

Unbelievable.... I sent the Tube Depot a nice email btw. I said basically what I said here, and that I was tired of hearing "just send them back and we'll replace or refund" I said "You'd think a guy can get what he pays for without all the hassle" ...and the guy answers back and says "You're right, here's the link to send them back. Have a nice day." SMH

I never had good luck with tube depot. I have used dougs tubes for the past few years and haven't had a single issue.

From what I have read, the nature of the beast. Anything other than a JJ, which I have bought from various sources, I go to a local tube dealer, who has surplus and new tubes, and will test them for me right there. Not having my own tester, I can't vouch for any particular dealer other than my local one. Surplus tubes bought off ebay or my local dealer have generally been good (dealer) or acceptable (fleabay), so for preamp tubes with a sensitive application, I go there.

For power tubes, I just take my amp to a repairman and have them install, so I get an implicit warranty of their function. This has pretty much eliminated that problem for me. The one time I had a problem with a reapairman, other issues with them arose, and I quit going to him.

OP, am interested in your assessment of pre-tubes in diff applications, and the effects of various tested results on "tone"

Have fun!