Pickups

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on lowering that neck pickup.....I lower mine as far as I can then tweak it back up for output.

Corium_AZ said:
isolated1523 said:
I'll add useless fuel to the fire...

My Temoniti PRS (American made) has me 50/50 on the humbuckers in it...i LOVE the bridge pickup, it does anything I need a bridge to do...but the neck pickup is SOO bass-heavy that i almost always use it as a mute position lol.

I've wondered if its because Tremonti plays most of his clean stuff through fender amps, and uses other amps for his distortion?

I've run into the same problem with every Gibson I've had (all LP's or semi hollows), no matter what pup I've run in the neck.

I have managed to make all of them sound great though. Try these:

1) Lower that neck pup. Sink it all the way down to about flush with the pup ring. That alone may do the trick. If you lose too much definition, leave the bass side sunk, and raise the treble side closer. It'll be crooked, but who cares if it works?

2) Swap in an A4 magnet. That tremonti bass pup has an A5, which is a pretty hot magnet, with a lot of bass, a lot of treble and scooped mids. An A4 will flatten the eq, and significantly lower output & bass.

3) Install a 'de-mud' mod on the neck pup volume pot. Search google for 'Artie de mud mod'. This is basically a tiny high pass filter that installs between your pup hot lead and its corresponding pot lug. Really easy install, and it works awesome! I have one in every Gibson I own, and every Gibson anyone I know owns, lol. Everyone wanted it & loves it. It's just a .01uf cap and 500k resistor in parallel. Prolly cost $1. Look it up, you won't be disappointed!

Sounds good, i'll give them a shot!!

Don't know anything about Gibson pups but I agree with EVERYTHING Corium_AZ said about Duncans and magnets. I have a few Customs with A8 mags which I love.. And per his advice quite a while ago, I just put a JB with an A8 mag in place of the EMG 81/89 in my RRTMG. Holy **** that pickup is awesome!! AWESOME!!!

Latest posts