Boss GL100 (Awesome clean tone!)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimosity

Reaction score
So I just picked up an old Boss GL100 preamp...
This thing has the best clean sound ever!!
I can almost get a 'piezo/acoustic' sort of tone with it out of straight EMGs into it!

I did notice that it sounds drastically different depending on what power amp you run it with. It LOVES tube power amps.

Man, I wish I could get this clean section built into an MTS module!!!

Does it sound anything like a Rolland JC120? I'm in the same boat you are. I've just not found a clean sound in the MTS that I'm happy with. I demo'ed a JC120 at Guitar Center the other day and LOVED it. I really don't want to lug around a JC120 just for clean tone.

Actually, depending on the power amp you use with it, it could be pretty close.

You know the best way I can describe it (when using it with EMGs at least; haven't tried it with passives, cause I'm an EMG guy...) would be that it sounds like a great piezo tone with more low end available to add more 'acoustic' sort of body to it....while having all of the highs you'd want.

Some clean tones sound great for 'picked' pieces and some great for 'strummed' chords, this is great at both.

I just put it in my rig with my Egnater and am using an Axess Electronics GRX4 to switch to that for all my clean tones, I love it.

You know, I was a HUGE fan of the clean that was in my Engl Powerball, and the modded Randall JTM got close to that, but the GL100 takes the cake I think. I'm running it with my VHT 2/90/2 and it's awesome! It sounds equally good with a Mesa 50/50, but not quite as good thru a Marshall 8008 or the power section of a Crate PowerBlock...so my deduction is that it really likes tube power sections.

Hey Jim, Do you like it better than the egnater twin or is it just a different flavor of clean altogether?

For clean...I agree solid state can be really satisfying.
There is a place for that,imho.

Evans makes these little jazz amps (like an old Polytone Brute..if u ever heard of them..) and the clean is really great...but it is dragging another amp and all. They are solid state, like the JC120.
But these days...when it comes to tubes versus solid state..it comes down to the individual circuit, I feel. The stereotypes are slowly fading.