Stock Randall Blackface vs Twinface?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrismilne

Reaction score
I have a stock Blackface, has anyone ever compared it to the Salvation Twinface? Is it worth getting it modded, or should i spend elsewhere? I'm fairly happy with it, but it could be a little punchier with a bit more low end. I also have the Clean, but it's pretty boring, unfortunately it's not a donor for much (and i don't need a Twinface and a Blackface), I was told it could be used for: "Clean Randall can be used for Twinface, Voxyface, Suprabold, Matchvox."

I had Rob do a Twin for me. Most people don't get Twins. Twins do not break up. If it breaks up it is not a real twin sound. I had the stock balckface and it really sucked....very sterile. I sent it to a modder in CA and it came back sounding like a deluxe. I then sent it to Rob and it sounded like a real Twin. I have a beautiful old Twin at home that is too heavy to carry as it has EV-SROs in it. I have the JF Twin in my RM50 and I can get it to sound exactly like my Twin. Another nice clean option is the JF SuperCLean.....almost solid state sounding....but in a good way.....either one is incredible with a chorus for that eighties clean chorus sound.

chrismilne said:
I have a stock Blackface, has anyone ever compared it to the Salvation Twinface? Is it worth getting it modded, or should i spend elsewhere? I'm fairly happy with it, but it could be a little punchier with a bit more low end. I also have the Clean, but it's pretty boring, unfortunately it's not a donor for much (and i don't need a Twinface and a Blackface), I was told it could be used for: "Clean Randall can be used for Twinface, Voxyface, Suprabold, Matchvox."

Twinface is amazing. It's a night and day improvement...

Yeah, I can't comment on the Twinface specifically, though folks that have them love them - and I've no reason to doubt any of that. I for one actually liked the stock Blackface. But, every 'clean' modded module really blows it out of the water - no comparison really. TWox, Vybe Deluxe, SuperClean, Texas Special, Loneclean, etc... All awesome modules! IMO, the MTS amps really shine with proper clean modules - after all, if IIRC, the power sections are basically Fender Super Reverbs. I believe it, as I think these are some of the best sounding clean amps ever made, with the right pre's and power tubes. I guess it depends on what your after, but I'll say that the Vybe Deluxe is prolly the best, most all around versatile module there is - of all that I've tried at-least (close second are the various modded XTC's). Awesome cleans, pristine to spank to slight breakup. Start hitting that thing with OD's out front and you can go from deep, complex harmonically rich mid-gain, all the way to Orange/Plexi-ish high gain. Hell, I got rid of my R'Verb because I could get my Vybe to sound nearly identical if hit hard with an OD. Also, somehow, I can feed it ungodly amounts of reverb & delay in front of it, with OD/Dist, and it just sounds perfect, as if it's in the loop - amazing really, kinda defy's logic, lol. Anyhow, I've heard the Twinface is similarly versatile, clean to high gain. So, don't fret, there are plenty of awesome mods you can get on those clean platforms!