Old HBE BE or the forthcoming synergy mod or the JJ dirt

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksun

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Contemplating getting a Friedman module, and I had the intention of waiting until the synergy modules come out.

But then I saw the pics of the synergy/friedman prototype HBE and BE modules which seem somewhat limited in features.

On the other hand I guess the synergy modules might offer a circuitry more faithful/exact to the original amp preamp circuitry - in contrast to the situation of having to mod an already underlying circuit.

But then again the clips of the JJ Dirt sound just darn awesome, loaded with features (as always with the salvo mods) and I always enjoy doing some tweaking etc.

Just thinking out loud, anyone else loosing all kinds of sleep over which one to get?! :)

blacksun said:
Hi Guys,

Contemplating getting a Friedman module, and I had the intention of waiting until the synergy modules come out.

But then I saw the pics of the synergy/friedman prototype HBE and BE modules which seem somewhat limited in features.

On the other hand I guess the synergy modules might offer a circuitry more faithful/exact to the original amp preamp circuitry - in contrast to the situation of having to mod an already underlying circuit.

But then again the clips of the JJ Dirt sound just darn awesome, loaded with features (as always with the salvo mods) and I always enjoy doing some tweaking etc.

Just thinking out loud, anyone else loosing all kinds of sleep over which one to get?! :)

My opinion is there is no need to wait for Synergy with JJ Dirt....Sure it isn't the new modular shape or circuit but it absolutely sticks the JJ tone....Anthony's still working his magic and we at MotorCity are working closely to get this magic available here in the States much more easily....Our site should open today accepting US orders of Salvation Mods...

The BE and HBE MTS mods to me have always sounded sterile and lifeless. A real Friedman amp is anything but!!
The JJ Dirt sounds awesome from all of the clips I've heard. The only thing to mention is that the Friedman JJ-100 is voiced quite differently than the BE HBE. It has that darker, growly Cantrell tone. It's very cool, just not the same.
When playing the new Synergy BE and HBE, I couldn't tell the difference between that tone and the REAL Friedman amp. VERY impressive. I hope Synergy will also do a JJ and my personal favorite SS (Steve Stevens)!

Very interesting and good info, thanks!!!
I also had the HBE and BE in the form of friedman modded dual eggie modules and wasn't all that impressed, felt one-dimensional and dull. Still I've always regretted selling them since I had a very bad power amp at home during that time which pretty much killed all sorts of decent preamp tone.

I remember seeing that video of the friedman/syn mods vs the be100 recentky, but I can't seem to find it on youtube. Do you have the links to it by any chance???

Did you like the syn HBE or BE better?

I have a BE and the JJ sounds better and far more interactive and clear....Having said that, I like the BE quote a lot still as it records beautifully...It doesn't play like a real BE but it cops the tone pretty well...

The JJ Dirt is in a new league as you will continue to read as people get them....And Salvation's first shot at Friedman tone! I think he nailed it!

blacksun said:
Very interesting and good info, thanks!!!
I also had the HBE and BE in the form of friedman modded dual eggie modules and wasn't all that impressed, felt one-dimensional and dull. Still I've always regretted selling them since I had a very bad power amp at home during that time which pretty much killed all sorts of decent preamp tone.

I remember seeing that video of the friedman/syn mods vs the be100 recentky, but I can't seem to find it on youtube. Do you have the links to it by any chance???

Did you like the syn HBE or BE better?

Personally I like the BE. :twisted:

I think compared to the real BE, the older modules will do a decent job, but will not match the real amp. I think the newer synergy stuff, though seemingly limited in it's options and switches, will more accurately get you that tone because it is an updated approach to the modular concept as well as the units allow you to use the power amp of an amp that you know is clear and powerful. Also, seeing as the Friedman stuff essentially has changed very little from the standard Marshall power section, running a SYN1 through an 800 power amp will probably get you very close. That said, I think JF and Salvo are building top notch products so I would put them ahead of the older modded modules with the BE. The Judge is supposed to be based on the BE and while I like it, I feel like it is missing something ultimately. Time will tell, I already let the Synergy folk know that I am down for an initial run of SYN1 singe module head.