Never being satisfied. What's with me?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe you should, if you're still doing this, be in a quest for the right power amp. The vht 2502 for example is very touchsensative. Just a thought.

Super old thread, curious where you are today with all of this?

I'm in a similar boat...originally i was all in for upgrading my MTS modules (i've only gotten one so far that isn't stock...the Salvado Deluxe), then i decided i must have the Mark V 25 from youtube demos/clips. Of the salvation mods i really want the Camerock as i love the sound of the Cameron CCV. I'm curious how the Mark V 25 would have worked for you vs the full head as you could run it "hotter" with less volume. The clips online at least sound like a lot of gain, though I recall playing 2 Boogies in my life (a dual rectifier and a Mark IV combo) and i didn't like either of them. I thought the Mark IV had way too little gain.

Now i'm starting to get interested in the Kemper (i don't know as much about the Axe FX II). What i've never liked about any type of modeling (though kemper is a profiling amp) is the slight latency and overall feel that they have when playing. I've mostly used the original POD, i've tried most every computer based modeler as well as Bias, etc on my iPad. With the Kemper i'm mostly worried about how it sounds when hooked to a cabinet, it seems like it's great for recording but sometimes you just want to play through your cabinets and have that sound/feel. I've been listening to Kemper profiles and I think these Marshall's sound amazing. They are exactly the sound i'm looking for but I don't hear in any of the MTS (including the Mashall+) clips.
http://www.topjimi.com/Marshall-Amps_c3.htm I would be a little bit worred buying a Kemper right now since it's been out a while i would think a Version 2 is on the horizon. More FX Loop options, running stereo amps, USB outputs, software interface, etc would be a nice upgrade...and that's another down side to digital technology, when the new one comes out, your resale is trash.

If i spent as much time playing as i did tone searching i would be awesome by now :)

Trust me when I say that you can get pretty much exact Marshall type tones your after with MTS. Of course, as much of the overall sound is going to be dependent on your power amp, tubes, and speakers/cab. I have been able to get literally exactly the same tones from my MTS rig as my lead guitarists hand-wired Plexi & '77 JMP. This is with pro recording equipment and no one can tell which is which. And that's with my rm100 with 2 el34's & 2 6L6's and a completely different speaker cab. Same guitar, re-amped so playing style etc is not a factor. Those tonal differences can be made up for via module EQ, and OD pedal(s). So, you'll not be left wanting... Btw, I was using a Mash-All. I'll prolly post some clips sometime in the future, but not till the album is finished...

Thanks, yeah i may get the Mash-All and give it a go thanks...

By the way these are the tones i've been looking to get (do you think it can reach that level of gain? in the salvation clips i hear a bit of my SL+ module which i've never liked...i can get closer than that to my ideal tones with my JHS Andy Timmons pedal):

Super Leads
https://youtu.be/nwmhvlWcb5A
https://youtu.be/MFgfKF-rIqU

and maybe the JTM45 with a lot more gain that my Randall JTM
https://youtu.be/4cY3qDO6zRc

I think the Kemper has great sounds and may be the future, but it's also pretty damned expensive and i can add to what i have to get a lot of tones probably. What it does add as well is the ability to play silently with good tone and to easily record without a lot of micing/cranking the amps etc. As always...on the fence.

Yes, the Mash-All (and just about any modded Marshall module I've tried) can very easily attain those levels of gain (I consider that mid-gain, btw).

As for the silent playing/recording, see my old post on this matter. Absolutely no need for a Kemper to do this. I play through my 'silent rig' 10x more than my live rig (babies in the house, and an unappreciative wife, lol). It sounds great and cost me all of $200 (for a used THD HotPlate and cheap audio interface). May cost you nothing depending on what gear you've already got. And, I might add, sounds MUCH better (clearer, more life-like) than those youtube clips you posted:

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=19530

See this post for an audio example of the silent recording tones from one of my band's recorded songs:

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=20218

Corium_AZ said:
Yes, the Mash-All (and just about any modded Marshall module I've tried) can very easily attain those levels of gain (I consider that mid-gain, btw).

As for the silent playing/recording, see my old post on this matter. Absolutely no need for a Kemper to do this. I play through my 'silent rig' 10x more than my live rig (babies in the house, and an unappreciative wife, lol). It sounds great and cost me all of $200 (for a used THD HotPlate and cheap audio interface). May cost you nothing depending on what gear you've already got. And, I might add, sounds MUCH better (clearer, more life-like) than those youtube clips you posted:

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=19530

Yes i have a Peavey XXX so i know about over the top gain :D I'm now much more in to brown sound era gain and a lot of variety of tones from Jazz cleans, to SRV to EVH to 5150 heads. I've thought about sticking with MTS 100%, trying all kinds of lunch box types of lower wattage heads, to Kemper/AxeFX types of units...still not really sure. I do have a lot of the freeware stuff you mentioned for cabinet IR's but haven't put a ton of time in to trying them out yet. I just sold my Hot Plate to get the Salvado mod so i don't have any type of load box, but i have an M4 preamp for my egnater gear so i don't need it for that. I would like to have something that i can move around the house as well as i have a 3 level home. Two young kids (one under a year) keep me upstairs after bed time, and my music stuff is in an unfinished room in the basement and not super cozy as of yet (i have big plans, not big $ :)

Thanks!

Sounds like we're I the same situation (I've got a 2.5 and 1.5 yr old - freaking handful to say the least!).

If you don't want to deal with a power amp, I know you can download the two notes torpedo vst, and load both power amp and speaker cab ir's. You'll never get good tones, IMO, without some power section btwn the pre and speakers - virtual or real. Hell, it's worth trying to see if the le peu (or whatever it's called) speaker cab vst will load a power amp IR. I bet it will, not sure if it has any way of descriminating. Also, if you use reaper, it has a native vst IR loader/player. So you could use that as well... I encourage you to get familiar with these computer based tools, as they are really very good. A kemper is essentially the same thing, just in its own box. Also, don't think that since reaper is essentially free, that it is in any way inferior to pro tools or cubase, etc. because it is not. It is every bit as good and feature laden, and in many ways better. I've tried most daw's at this point and always come back to reaper, and quickly, lol.

Hope some of this helps.