RM4 as preamp with GSP1101 direct?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isolated1523

Reaction score
So, the whole band (including myself) has made the jump to in-ears and are all trying to scale down our rigs.

I had just planned on running my GSP1101 direct to the board from the XLR out. But...

Since I love my MTS preamps so much, I was wondering if anyone has had any success with using the RM4 as a preamp without an actual poweramp. For example, maybe run the RM4 into the GSP, use the cabinet sim in the GSP, and then to the XLR out?

Just curious before I go re-arranging everything lol.

-Adam

Been running a poweramp-less setup at home using the method you describe with cabinet sims

Why wouldn't your RM4 sound good? the GSP preamp sims go through the same impulses

I guess I was just assuming that the GSP amp sims also include some sort of power-amp simulation before the cab sim, whereas the RM4 would just be preamp into cab sim. Probably over-thinking it....lol

Maybe try the rm4 into the input of the gsp, and use a clean power amp sim in the gsp (super reverb, plexi, etc) with the gain nice & low, then to the speaker cab sim out to the board? That way you get some power amp modeling. I for one, could never get a decent tone out of my pre's without a power amp or model between it & speaker cab IR's. Seeing as the RM100 power section is supposedly a clone of a super reverb, that'd be where I started...

I've got it set up where the RM4 is actually in the FX loop of the GSP, and certain presets will use the RM4 as the preamp model. Gonna see how that works out...

You got to understand that there are only 2 ways to get a cab sim
(convolution reverb)

-send the test tone through the entire amp
-sent the test tone through the output section
(I sincerely doubt most people making ER's will have a dedicated studio SS poweramp for that)

you can't send the test tone straight from the source into a 4x12
you're gonna have to hook up an amp to it to get it into the mic for recording
so there WILL be an amp coloring the sound before the cab
(question remains how hard it will be pushing the cab)

I was only referring to the cab sim software built into the GSP1101. I'm not 100% sure where in the "chain" the unit applies the various cab "sims", but I'm guessing that it will be at the end of the "chain"...therefore running the RM4 as the "preamp", its signal plus anything else I add with the GSP should all run through its cab sim.

Honestly, I'm less worried about the cab sim than I was interested in the "power amp" modeling that the unit may or may not do.

I've got an RM4 and a Mod50. Used the GSP only straight into the board and monitored with IEMS. Sounded great, cut through the mix. We ran our PA stereo so our little 3-piece 80's band would sound HUGE - and it did :)

I use the GSP1101 and the RM4 with set up wizard 6 in my studio. I then run it into a TwoNOtes live, which has both speaker and amp sims.. For a few years I used that combo live and went into a Carvin TS100 power amp on stage. You can turn the speaker sims on or off in either the 1/4 inch outs or the XLR outs if you want.
What I did with that set up was run stereo XLR outs w/o any amp sim on the GSP and whatever speaker sims I happened to like on that day. I never heard it out front but some very reputable engineers raved about the sound they were getting. I would use the Carvin and a couple of speaker cabs for my stage sound, doing the 50W stereo thing. In my studio it is the GSP w/ the RM4 in the loop with the1/4 inch outs going into the Two Notes then into the board. Again, with the Two Notes, I can use some pretty nice power amp sims and depending on the MTS mod, I can match the Marshall amp mod with EL-34s or Fender ones with 6L6 sims and then into what ever speaker sims I like. You know that you can put Ownhammer or RedWirz sims into the GSP, right?

I love the Torpedo idea, but that's not in the budget right now lol. I'm going to try the GSP direct to the board with the RM4 in its loop. We'll see how it goes!

-Adam

Yeah, mine too...There is a cheaper one but still around $500 that is a pedal design it doesn't handle heads though because it's not a load box (just speaker/poweramp emulator)

Like I said earlier, Using the RM4 into the GSP with some of the Ownhammer or Redwirz IRs really sound great.....even with our any power section modeling.

Ricky. Do you install the Ownhammer or Redwirz IR's in the GSP? or are you using something else to utilize them?