George Lynch article in new GP-

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tung

Reaction score
George talks about some interesting tone stuff, LB etc. Interesting note: he talks about getting a great gain tone by actually running less gain. It seems like he's really hands on the products he endorses.

Tung... how's it going?

I remember a GL interview from his Dokken days... I believe it was around Under lock and Key where he said something very similar in that his gain rarely goes past the halfway mark and is really not that "high gain" at all but more of a medium gain.

George has had some great recorded tones and UL&K is no exception... one of my faves forsure.

In general...

Me personally... I like to hear about 30% power amp tube distortion for that sparkle/hair content and about 70% preamp distortion for that defined crunch that all adds up to a medium overal gain... then add a little extra gain ( for sustain ) and volumn ( for cut ) boost for leads.

If I'm going for a barely breaking up classic distortion vibe I'll go 100% power amp tube gain with a low overal gain for that nice hair around the hole type of vibe... the hole being... figurativly speaking... the clean unclipped signal.

However I've found that the Brahma module breaks me out of this traditional thinking in that the preamp gain is so sparkly perfect that I love to hear it in the mix so I'd say it's 50/50 power amp to preamp gain on the Brahma for low to medium gain settings.

OK I got off topic and rambled... my bad... LOOL

Craig