Custom MTS Faceplates?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djd100

Reaction score
Hi all, we've just built a Dumbbell ODS module, and we need a faceplate made for it, anyone still doing those (we'll supply the donor faceplate drilled etc)?

If yes, please PM me with details and pricing.

This one will be a challenge as it's got 7 pots and 5 switches (Volume, Master, Level, Volume, Treble, Middle, and Bass pots, plus Jazz/Rock, Mid-Boost, Brite, Deep, and Pull OD switches).

Sacred Groove has always done ours in the past but Scott's not doing them anymore.

TIA...

Ok, I've done the CAD, can anyone suggest a good adhesive backed material to print on?

Ok, I did it and here it is (the top module)...

Dumble_FP_B50.jpg

ODS_FP_02.jpg

Things I learned the hard way!

a) I started in FrontDesign to do the basic shape and holes/slot, but it only has engraving fonts which were too course for the small text, so I switched to Gimp for the text (next time I'll use Photoshop I think?).

b) I made a jig out of a box and two 1/4" drill bits to install the adhesive backed paper.

c) I found the best way to create the two guide holes through the paper and backing (for the jig), was to use a Reamer (Hole Punch and Drill/Dremel didn't work near as well), so tiny pilot hole with the Dremel, and then the Reamer.

d) Once glued to the aluminum I then used the Reamer for the rest of the holes.

e) I also learned to print the image a little bigger than needed (I added 2.5mm to all dimensions), so when trimmed after gluing you had some fudge room etc.

f) Last, I learned to not spray the clearcoat outside to spare stinking up the garage, because after my second coat a little bug landed on it (poor guy, it was the end of him), so a little to the left of the "ODS" is a smudge (adds "character" LOL!).

Sacred Groove helped me a lot by suggesting that I only plot the main pot holes, and do all the additional holes/slot after the printed image is glued to the front panel (this avoids hassles with alignment etc, and the big pot holes have nuts/washers and knobs to cover any issues!). Thanks Scott!

cool, thanks for the info on the faceplate, I'll give it a shot.

Could you also give a detailed plan on how to do any of the mods you've done over the years? I'd love to give them a shot, too

We just follow the real schematic as much as possible, that all.

withmittens said:
cool, thanks for the info on the faceplate, I'll give it a shot.

Could you also give a detailed plan on how to do any of the mods you've done over the years? I'd love to give them a shot, too

If you can't read schematics and don't have experience wiring HV tube gear you'll not be able to do this as it's very complex. To give you a rough idea of what's involved...

a) Moved the donor KH-3's entire tonetack.

b) Gutted said tonestack and replaced it with the ODS's Skyliner EQ.

c) Changed the gain stages around.

d) Replaced various components (pots, caps, resistors, added switches etc).

f) Drilled chassis and front panel for additional components.

g) Created front panel art and installed it.

h) Dialed in the tone by ear via adjusting the coupling caps, gain stage levels/biasing, plate/cathode bypass cap selection, mostly due to the MTS format requiring some changes from the real deal.

i) Enjoy playing it as it's a wonderfully dynamic and touch sensitive circuit, and great at everything from cleans to pushed mid-gain sans front end boost (i.e. it seems to work best with the guitar straight in), Humbuckers or Single-Coils, with Fender or Marshall/Mesa based Dumble tones.

It does Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, John Meyer, Sonny Landreth, David Lindly, Joe Bonamassa, Lowell George etc etc real well!

withmittens said:
unfortunately that means little to me but thanks for sharing, anyway

I realize it's not for the unskilled and my reply was mostly tongue in cheek. I have built pedals based on layouts, though and done modifications of things from instruction, although i would never ask fro you to detail the procedure.

enjoy those cool mods

I'm sure Jaded Faith or Salvation could make one like ours, just be sure to ask for the real Skyliner EQ, as that's what makes it so versatile.

If you can build a pedal then you could probably do it (assuming you could read a schematic etc).

withmittens said:
I realize it's not for the unskilled and my reply was mostly tongue in cheek. I have built pedals based on layouts, though and done modifications of things from instruction, although i would never ask fro you to detail the procedure.

enjoy those cool mods