Pure tube signal path or op amps in RM4

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talltxguy

Reaction score
I'm interested in the RM4. The online music stores are currently out. Randall said that the new ownership wanted to check over things. So now I'm reading on a few online stores that the RM4 will be available on May 31.

Does the RM4 to include the modules have any op amps in it, or is it a pure tube signal path?

Thanks for any insight,
Scott

The signal path is all tube except for the channel switching. The signal
goes thru opto-isolators rather than a relay. It is basically a light controlled (internal led) solid state (transistor) switch that is completely
linear meaning it passes the signal through without any alteration.
Before you say a mechanical relay would be better, they are subject to wear and actually have a capacitive effect on a signal. Can you hear the difference? No. The 8 pin ICs on the module board that look like op amps are the opto-isolators.

Glad to hear there's no op amps going on.

And thank you for the quick reply!

Hope I can contribute some things in the future.

Been playing my RM4 for a while and can say it feels as legit as any tube amp I've owned to include quite a few Mesas and a couple of Fenders. I'm glad to see that this wasn't a fad. I got respect for the AXE stuff: yeah, tone-wise I will admit I cannot tell the difference, but feel-wise I can. Call me selfish, but feel is just as important to me as how the **** thing sounds. lol

after almost 20 years of GAS

...I still cannot fathom the corksniffing of an all-tube signal path

"Boo, the JCM-900 uses diode clipping, Booooo!!!"

"Well, WTF are you boosting that JCM-800 with?"

folks just like to start with a good solid all tube amp. that's it. Folks don't like solid state in they're amps. nothing wrong with that