1987 landed today. Edit: Clip added on page 2.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like it.. sounds pretty good to me without the boost actually. The boost puts it over the top and sounds great too.

Steven Latch said:
Hey Eero,

Yes, I did see your advice and I thought I had answered and realized I didn't!

I haven't tried modding the SL++ myself as soldering a guitar pickup is as far as my skills have taken me so far. The truth is that depending on my modd of the day, I find the SL++ too scooped... or to my taste so I am still unsure I should mod it. Plus, I have an EQ in the loop for a mid bost. It is midi switchable so it is a good option so far.

Can't check the video right now Eyeball but I will tomorrow!

there are some other news concerning my SL++ mods...
today, after many trials and comparison i found this module, while better with 33k at slope resistor, still with too much bass and no cut, i wanted more upper mids for Marshall crunch... so i added a 470 pF ceramic cap (1Kv) at C10.
BAM! Now is very good.... (with bass, mid and treble eq at 1 o'clock approximately, and voicing button off, not pushed) i got great Marshall crunch... i strongly suggest you try these mods, it is really worth :wink:

Eyeball:
i like it too, especially not boosted...
on the other hand,should not be too difficult adding more gain, i think... :D

eero said:
Eyeball:
i like it too, especially not boosted...
on the other hand,should not be too difficult adding more gain, i think... :D

It sounds better in the room. Cutting the module gain to noon and adding the boost was really nice.

No boost needed for this one..(at least when i had owned it) Clip is cool eyeball- Gives you a feel of the module- Throaty and open- Like a JCM800 with added gain...Was a killer module, I just have been on a selling/trading spree or I'd still have it! :roll:

rblyn said:
No boost needed for this one..(at least when i had owned it) Clip is cool eyeball- Gives you a feel of the module- Throaty and open- Like a JCM800 with added gain...Was a killer module, I just have been on a selling/trading spree or I'd still have it! :roll:

I am going to rock the 1987 again tonight. I really like it but am on bit of a flipping spree myself. All my modules are Marshall based and I guess I should branch out a little more. Even though I thought about trading it for a JF 1959RR.

Cool to see the pics of the mods side by side... I've never tried soldering, but seeing how many open spaces the one mod has over the other is intriguing to me. I might have to get a soldering for dum dums starter kit and ruin a module soon! :wink:

And sad to see dislikes on the you tube vid... I gave it a nod, but common y'all, let's show some appreciation for a fair and clean vid demo.

Oregon said:
And sad to see dislikes on the you tube vid... I gave it a nod, but common y'all, let's show some appreciation for a fair and clean vid demo.

I don't care about negative comments. I am well aware that the sound quality is less than desirable. Not to mention, I usually make vid clips when I have the house to myself and have been out for a while prior to shooting.

Regardless of whether or not the Alesis Video Track is a decent recorder or not, I can't get anywhere close to "in the room" sounds on any video I have tried. Close mic'd, room mic'd... Doesn't matter. I suck at the technicalities of recording. I am fine with it.

Hey eyeball....just reacquired a 1987 (no idea why I traded my first one)...anyway, in looking at the gutshot (with the red pen added "Scott" etc on the board, I just realized the markings are exactly the same-I have your old mod- 8) Enjoying it quite a bit- Now that I have a Judge and 1987 sitting here side by side, you can tell that Scott "started" with the same basic tone of the GTO and tweaked more towards a JCM800 sound (vs Plexi) but both sound MARSHALL all the way.

Hi there, new to the forum and keen modder. I am trying to turn a Plexi into a 1987. I just need a few component values if possible. I would greatly appreciate any help! If someone could let me know the values of C2, C10, C14, the cap on the tube board & the resistor that is bridging R26 & R28? I know it's a lot to ask but these modules are impossible to get any more & i would like to hear what this one sounded like being a huge Scott Ian fan!

Does anyone have the full component list for the 1987? i can see most of it from the pics, but the cap values and value of the resistor across R26-R28 can't be made out.

With those missing values we should be able to add the 1987 to Graham's spreadsheet.