Recto vs Treadplate

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalluk

Reaction score
What's the difference between these two? I know the Recto is out of production. They're both based on Mesa. I heard the Treadplate is a little more harsh, but is there any real difference amongst them?

yea i just got the treadplate the other day... and the dealer told me that the difference is that the names.

Dealer told me that the Mesa boogie were threatening to sue Randall for using rectos.. and rectifieds

and now they changed the module name into treadplate.

so basically same sound just different name... recto sounds better than treadplate. :twisted:

This is what I've noticed:
Recto--C3/.0047uf, C14/470pf, R1-3/470ohm
Rectified--C3/.0022, C14/470pf, R1-3/470ohm
Treadplate--C3/.0022, C14/300pf, R1-3/150ohm

A lot of people change C3 to .001 or .0015 for tighter bass attack.

Also:
Grail--C3/.0005uf, C14/470pf, R1-3/150ohm

Very popular for "Recto" players around here. Awesome module, especially when boosted.

Maybe this helps. There isn't a lot of difference and you'd probably only hear any difference if you demo'd all of them side by side (by side).

awesome info thank you.

So grail is pretty much the same also?

OR would you say grail is a little more flexible?

The Grail is a "recto" module. Since the Tread Plate was released, the Grail may have similar components, but I don't know. Although, I'd bet the C3 is still 500pf (.0005uf), which makes it tightest/clearest on palm muting.

Many a fellow forum member have their Recto-Rectified-TreadPlate modified to Grail. The Grail also has a cool face plate and Mesa style knobs, if that means anything to you.

Sacred is so right about this module.
I did a cap (C3) replacement (I forget the value, do you remember ,oh sacred-one?)..anyway..what a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I understand pete (OKStart) does this and then some to these modules and makes them amazing. I dont doubt that at all. Just the cap change made mine 200 percent better, and Pete does alot more than that, Im told.
If you like a Rectifier, but dont like the lack of versatility, get a "proper" recto module ,a and enjoy!!!

GtrGeorge! said:
I did a cap (C3) replacement (I forget the value, do you remember ,oh sacred-one?)..anyway..what a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I understand pete (OKStart) does this and then some to these modules and makes them amazing. I dont doubt that at all. Just the cap change made mine 200 percent better, and Pete does alot more than that, Im told.
If you like a Rectifier, but dont like the lack of versatility, get a "proper" recto module ,a and enjoy!!!

It was probably .001uf. After I got a Modern module, I asked Pete about a mid range shift switch, but he suggested just changing the C3 bass cap. After that, the EQ was WAY more responsive and I had the flexibility I thought I could only get from adding a mid-shift switch. I push the C3 mod because it's simple, quick and has a huge effect (for the better) on the EQ.

i agree, it probably has the most effect on changing the sound of the module and is the easiest, any mods beyond the c3 probably aren't too critical and if you want to get a module heavily modded it may be worth looking into a different module all together

GtrGeorge! said:

Glad to hear that worked for you, remember how we ganged up on you to do that mod and you were saying you didn't think it would make a difference? :D

Pete

okstrat said:
GtrGeorge! said:

Glad to hear that worked for you, remember how we ganged up on you to do that mod and you were saying you didn't think it would make a difference? :D

Pete

I kinda felt bad for the guy because he clearly didn't know what he'd been missing...LOL. It's all good now tho.

Huge grave dig I know, but it's good to keep this information together. I have just got an early Recto module (has the Eden Electronics "Proudly made in the USA" sticker on the bottom).

It appears un-modified but the tone stack values are a little different to what SacredGroove identified for the Recto, Rectified, Treadplate and Grail:

C3 : 0.0022 uF
C14 : 470pF
R1-3 : 150 Ohm

For my taste (and with these values) its got too much bottom end, not enough pick attack and the harmonics just don't "squeal". I'll get the mods underway with a C3 swap to something lower in value and go from there.

This is the kind of info that got me all bugaboo when I first heard about MTS and this was before I got here.

very cool to see this talk again. best of luck with the Recto work, I may have a go now, too

After tweaking both my Recto and Treadplate modules, I've arrived at some values that I really like.

C3: 0.00047uF (sort of like the Grail mod 0.0005uF)
C14: 320pF (100pF plus 220pF in parallel)

For C14, I've got a 100pF on the board and a DPDT switch to add either a 220pF or 330pF cap. I like the 320pF mode better than the 443pF mode. It's got a much more 3D feel to the sound.

Slope resistor (R31) I've left stock at 47k Ohm. I tried both 33k and 56k here but ended up going back to the 47k Ohm with the 320pF cap combo.

Both my Recto and Treadplate came with the 150 Ohm R1-R3 resistors.

Also, by far and away the best sounding tubes in the Recto/Treadplate etc. modules are the Chinese (Shuguang) 12AX7's. The gain and bite from these tubes is exactly what's needed to bring these modules alive.