OD Special v OD-2

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewiv

Reaction score
I have an OD Special that I've been toying with getting updated. I really like the OD Special, but with my personality I feel I'm missing out on something. Below is the only thing I've found from someone with experience. I'm hoping Marco can add some more insight. TIA, Marco.

MarcoR said:
I have been holding off on singing my praises until I can do a proper demo but I've had the new OD2 for months now and the honeymoon phase is surely over. I still am blown away by the tone of it; it is the most satisfying module I've purchased to date.

I've had two JF Overdrive Specials previously and one was sent back to be update with the latest revision (so technically I've tried three versions). I really liked the old one because it was different from any other module but there was something I could never dial in or out with the mids (anyone who's had the older Overdrive Special knows what I'm talking about).

This new OD2 just sounds great without searching for the right settings; you plug it in and the tone is just there. I get great border of break up sweet tones all the way to full on screaming lead tones. I have a dual channel version and that's how I use it between the A and B channels.

I keep expecting that one day I'll play it and it just doesn't do it for me (like every other module at some point) but it always satisfies.

Highly recommended for fusion, blues, classic rock or even modern prog lead tones OR anything where dynamics, feel, sweet sound with amazing harmonic overtones are desired.

FWIW: I really think the OD-2 is one of the best creations I have ever made. It's that good IMHO. It also has next to nothing in common with the OD Special under the hood.

drewiv said:
I have an OD Special that I've been toying with getting updated. I really like the OD Special, but with my personality I feel I'm missing out on something. Below is the only thing I've found from someone with experience. I'm hoping Marco can add some more insight. TIA, Marco.

MarcoR said:
I have been holding off on singing my praises until I can do a proper demo but I've had the new OD2 for months now and the honeymoon phase is surely over. I still am blown away by the tone of it; it is the most satisfying module I've purchased to date.

I've had two JF Overdrive Specials previously and one was sent back to be update with the latest revision (so technically I've tried three versions). I really liked the old one because it was different from any other module but there was something I could never dial in or out with the mids (anyone who's had the older Overdrive Special knows what I'm talking about).

This new OD2 just sounds great without searching for the right settings; you plug it in and the tone is just there. I get great border of break up sweet tones all the way to full on screaming lead tones. I have a dual channel version and that's how I use it between the A and B channels.

I keep expecting that one day I'll play it and it just doesn't do it for me (like every other module at some point) but it always satisfies.

Highly recommended for fusion, blues, classic rock or even modern prog lead tones OR anything where dynamics, feel, sweet sound with amazing harmonic overtones are desired.

It's such a great sounding and feeling mod; the touch sensitivity and dynamics make it so fun to play.

This clip doesn't begin to do it justice; I had the camera pointing above the amp so your getting more sound off the back wall than the amp. Just a little looper jam to try and capture different levels of gain and pickups.
https://youtu.be/iGaNrgl-194

Jaded Faith said:
FWIW: I really think the OD-2 is one of the best creations I have ever made. It's that good IMHO. It also has next to nothing in common with the OD Special under the hood.
I take this to mean it's more of a tear-down than an update. I need to give you a call soon, we'll talk because a donor is definitely coming for the MKC+

MarcoR said:
It's such a great sounding and feeling mod; the touch sensitivity and dynamics make it so fun to play.

This clip doesn't begin to do it justice; I had the camera pointing above the amp so your getting more sound off the back wall than the amp. Just a little looper jam to try and capture different levels of gain and pickups.
Thanks. Sounds great. Playing is great, as always.

MarcoR said:

Excited to hear a new clip and found I'd already liked this one ;) Great sounds & playing, Marco